I found out a trade secret

Wells its probably no a secret but i never knew about it.

So you see 3 flatbeds stacked on top of each other but how do they do it? A crane comes to mind initially.

So i was at a haulage yard waiting to be tipped and witnessed this

Guy reveres trailer (A) down this deep incline/pit which looked like it had been dug out by hand with shovels. Different guy reverses trailer (B) on top of (A) then unhooks - he then hooks to trailer (C). He reverses trailer (C) down incline and the first guy reverses (A) and (B) onto (C). No crane needed just a slope/pit :astonished:

Hope you understand my gibberish but i would never have thought it was done like this in a million years :laughing:

merc0447:
Wells its probably no a secret but i never knew about it.

So you see 3 flatbeds stacked on top of each other but how do they do it? A crane comes to mind initially.

So i was at a haulage yard waiting to be tipped and witnessed this

Guy reveres trailer (A) down this deep incline/pit which looked like it had been dug out by hand with shovels. Different guy reverses trailer (B) on top of (A) then unhooks - he then hooks to trailer (C). He reverses trailer (C) down incline and the first guy reverses (A) and (B) onto (C). No crane needed just a slope/pit :astonished:

Hope you understand my gibberish but i would never have thought it was done like this in a million years :laughing:

Farmers often had a concrete ramp in the yard, these were used too. I always tried to carry my empty trailer when doing caravans or cars, but we had ramps on board those.

We sometimes had to load them when we pulled new trailers for Crane Fuehauf, Always a bit of a moment when you got the wheels onto the trailer and the whole lot drops down on the suspension and not a lot of room for manouvre once on the trailer.
Much prefered letting the shunters do the job. They had bloody great forklifts with a fifth wheel at the end of the forks and did it everyday so made the job look easy. :smiley:

where i used to work many years ago we used to have a concrete ramp, reverse one trailer onto another then strap them together, take those 2 trailers and reverse over another strap down job done.
there are plenty more “trade secrets” out there waiting to be discovered :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Honestly ive pasted these stacked flatbeds loads of times never thought anything of it, but its so simple!

We just use a hiab.

I’d always thought a crane too.

Although it’d be tricky with these.

8wheels:

5 trailers! Now that is ingenuity.

8wheels:

You’d want a pretty fancy ramp to stack those! Alton Towers maybe? :wink:

merc0447:

8wheels:

5 trailers! Now that is ingenuity.

More ingenious that they have welded them on :stuck_out_tongue:

8wheels:

I was about to mention these. Ive seen quite a few loaded like this going into Immingham. Quite clever i thought.

I’ve stacked these before for export.
5 trailers, (one road-worthy). Knock the legs and rails off the other 4.
Then just use 2 fork lifts to stack them, then weld them together.

Job Jobbed.

cieranc:
I’ve stacked these before for export.
5 trailers, (one road-worthy). Knock the legs and rails off the other 4.
Then just use 2 fork lifts to stack them, then weld them together.

Job Jobbed.

Over at Teesside?

I used to pick new ones up from Dennison at Lancaster. I never thought 3 empty trailers could take so much pulling :frowning:

8wheels:

Where do they carry the converter dollies?

Some folks would be in their element getting £7 an hour to drive with 5 trailers :laughing:

Nah, at Winston, for John Dickinson.

cieranc:
Nah, at Winston, for John Dickinson.

just up the road from me.

■■? Corners?

cieranc:
■■? Corners?

Not quite that close, but know them well.
Am out of trucking at the moment, just doing a bit of relief driving and enjoying it.