Backwards-facing containers - please explain!

Hi all, just something that’s been bugging me, which shows what a worryingly small world I live in.

Lately I’ve seen a lot of trucks with a 40’ skeletal trailer, with a 20’ box in the middle. But the container, which is usually one of those beige MSC ones, is facing backwards, with the doors to the front.

I thought it was a mistake, but I’ve seen loads recently.

Please post explanations asap, before I move on to some other trifling worry, such as why dogs can’t see in colour.

could just be that they are empty returns lifted on in anyway as they wil b comin off at the next destination

stand to b correct like

hello mate how you doing, would think they are going to a scrap yard to be loaded with scrap,i go into williams in hitchin alot (a scrap yard) and they all seem to come in there the wrong way round,so when they lift them in the air to load them,the doors are facing the right way round,hopes this helps u fella :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Makes it more difficult for thieving ■■■■■■ ?

I’ve seen forty foot trailers carrying two twenty foot boxes,facing different ways,so when the unit is unhitched from the trailer,both boxes can be unloaded off the one trailer.
Saves running two wagons.
Don’t know why a single box would be carried back to front though.

yeah strawbs is right, a lot of places lift the container off to load it now and dependant on how their machine is set up depends what way round we put the box on. mainly scrapyards, they stand it on end and fill it then put it back on our trailer.

Off topic, but someone mentioned scrap and containers.
Here’s some pics of loading scrap wire in a 40’ box. One guy on the grab another one with a disc cutter.
Somewhere in Manchester if I remember right. Bloody heavy box that was when it was full.
The yard was a pig too - drive on the bridge, reverse out, drive in the other side of the yard, reverse out, then tight RH turn to get on the main road. Thought my tyres were going to pop !

Just remembered, that was the day the wipers stopped working, during a monsoon on the M6. After I loaded, I went over to Trafford Park to get it fixed. They had to replace the stalk and the motor. Known problem apparently. I had just enough time left to make it to Lymn and get a space over in the LH corner.

Thanks all, that explains it.

Next stupid question, why is ‘abbreviate’ such a long word■■? :smiley: :smiley:

And why is dyslexia so difficult to spell?

Is a relatively low value commodity such as scrap,worth exporting?
What would the shipping costs be?
Where does it go?

Low value commodity?

Are you aware of the per tonne rates for non ferrous metals at the present time?

i.e. copper = around £2,000 x (say) 26 = £52,000

Where does it go?

Not sure, but a high percentage of scrap over the past few years has been going to China.
Their demand for steel for use in the construction industry was enormous, hence driving scrap prices up around the world.
A year ago, light iron, the cheapest most general scrap, was almost £200 a tonne. Less than half that now i believe.

Shipping cost? I don’t know, but to China i’d guess around £1000 per box.
A freight forwarder will no doubt be along shortly to adjust that figure.

Davnic:
I’ve seen forty foot trailers carrying two twenty foot boxes,facing different ways,so when the unit is unhitched from the trailer,both boxes can be unloaded off the one trailer.

Davnic.
Why unhitch?
A good driver should be able to jackknife onto the bank.
Sorry,you’re a young lad,never taught to drive.
I’m an old school driver,pass test,start learning.Ask the old ones to help.We do,

DaveL:
Davnic.
Why unhitch?
I’m an old school driver,pass test,start learning.Ask the old ones to help.We do,

You’re assuming you get a decent place to tip. I’ve had to unhitch because there wasn’t room to swing the unit over enough to get a fork lift close. The customers usually look unhappy when you tell them theirs is on the front …

Paulson:
Hi all, just something that’s been bugging me, which shows what a worryingly small world I live in.

Lately I’ve seen a lot of trucks with a 40’ skeletal trailer, with a 20’ box in the middle. But the container, which is usually one of those beige MSC ones, is facing backwards, with the doors to the front.

I thought it was a mistake, but I’ve seen loads recently.

Please post explanations asap, before I move on to some other trifling worry, such as why dogs can’t see in colour.

They’re occasionaly “doors front” for certain “handball” sugar jobs but these usually go on skellies fitted with a front platform for the poor sods doing the handballing to stand on ! :grimacing:

DaveL:

Davnic:

Davnic.
Why unhitch?

So the numpty fork truck drivers dont wreck your mud guards
:imp:

the reversed singles, are generaly for loading whilst lifted with the doors facing skywards. I’ve only seen it done with scrap :wink:

DaveL:

Davnic:

Davnic.
Why unhitch?

Davel,
1-I was talking about delivery points where fork lifts unload from ground level in confined areas.
Unhitch the trailer and both boxes can be unloaded.
2-I’m not as young as i would like to be.
3-I was taught to drive by some very good “old school drivers” who know the job inside out.
4-If i do need help at any time,they’re who i will ask for it.
not a pompous,mouthy tw#t like you,because in my 20yrs experience,(not bad for a young lad),pompous,mouthy tw#ts are usually the ones who don’t know sh#t from rice pudding.