I bought a satnav god dam it

ok i have to admit i have given in and bought a stanav … :blush: its something i swore i would never do , i’ve managed so far without one and i had no plans to buy one … wise words until now… :laughing:

i’m going to put the blame soley on tesco’s shoulders and i’ll tell you why …

the job i’m doing at the mo is involves going to all night tesco branches and swopping thier waste compactors , its only until the usual driver comes back , however , due to alot of the tesco’s branches being new they dont show up in my a\z so i quickly hit problems finding the places , not that big a deal sometimes you just look for the big red sign saying tesco and there you go . the problems arise when you can see two or three signs and you dont know which one to head for … not good … i’m not to happy about using one yet because i’m old school and prefer to work it out myself using my maps and pencils …

its my first time using it tonight and i have a question , are the ■■■ lighter sockets all 12v or 24v ■■ or does it matter …
incase it matters i will be driving a volvo fm12 or possibly an iveco cursor … :blush: :blush:

If you look on the plug of the SatNav it will tell you what voltage it will run on, my TomTom runs on 12 or 24 v. (bottom left Input 12/24v)

Im sorry to hear your sad news
I have a phone charger psp charger and blue tooth charger plugged in at times and non of them say what voltage they are so i dont think it matters much

Did you buy a ahovel to dig yourself out of boggy roads lol

As a younger driver (30) brought up with technology I find older drivers refusing to buy sat-navs baffling. As long as you use common sense with them they’re great. My old man was the same until he borrowed mine one day, he bought one straight away. I’ve been out with drivers and got stuck with them, wedged between 2 walls on top of a Welsh mountain. The farmer was watching in his garden too.

Following them blindly is a bad idea, you still need to check a map for weight and height restrictions. The new Truckmate from Snooper has all that in though, just input the weight, height and length of your vehicle and it will find the best route. Still wouldn’t put 100% faith in it mind.

Harry Monk:
If you look on the plug of the SatNav it will tell you what voltage it will run on, my TomTom runs on 12 or 24 v. (bottom left Input 12/24v)

it dont say anything like that on mine … :open_mouth:

Terry T:
As a younger driver (30) brought up with technology I find older drivers refusing to buy sat-navs baffling. As long as you use common sense with them they’re great. My old man was the same until he borrowed mine one day, he bought one straight away. I’ve been out with drivers and got stuck with them, wedged between 2 walls on top of a Welsh mountain. The farmer was watching in his garden too.

Following them blindly is a bad idea, you still need to check a map for weight and height restrictions. The new Truckmate from Snooper has all that in though, just input the weight, height and length of your vehicle and it will find the best route. Still wouldn’t put 100% faith in it mind.

its not baffling when you listen to the radio chatter between the youger drivers at work, the ones using satnav and nothing else , i kid you not they are the ones getting lost more than us “older drivers” as you put it using maps and knowledge … if i didnt need one i would’nt have bought one , i can’t update my a/z realy …

oh and i’m 45 years old … not that old then … :sunglasses:

Terry T:

Very wise, I have a snooper and it has tried several times to take me through a 7.5t road, like you correctly say, still need to excercise caution.

Yeah, you can’t rely on them too much. They’re getting better though. Like a traditional map they can go out of date pretty quickly. That ring road you drove round last year could now be a one way system and far too many drivers buy a sat-nav and don’t (or don’t know how to) update the mapping software.

I’d always use both. Maps can’t really fail either, mine just stopped working one day, on way to a job interview of all places. Only made it as I already had an idea of where it was, got no map in my car. Trying to multi-drop in the centre of London with no map and a broken sat-nav would be a nightmare. Probably end up with the sack :smiley:

I have always used maps & still do, but a member of my family one Christmas bought me a satnav-so, to be appriciative I have tried on a few occasions to use it :exclamation: :exclamation: It does’nt always let me type in the full address(it’s will- not mine), I ended up arguing with the zb thing going down a route I already knew to be correct :exclamation: The constant droneing of it’s voice was driving me nuts until I pulled it’s wire loose & sent it hastily under the passenger seat where it came to rest :wink: , then, leaving me feeling rather guilty 'cos it was a gift :blush: :blush: :frowning: , but peace & quiet was blissfully restored again :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ). A couple of days later I was visitng somebody in maternity ward & we decided to take a short walk to the main hospital door,& two paces from the bed we were commanded to take a u-turn :open_mouth: (as I had shoved it in my bag presuming it was tuned off, as it hadn’t spoked for the last few hours :exclamation: :blush: :blush: ). She gave birth that night after the embaressing fit of uncontrolable fits of the giggles after). The said satnav now sits in a box & I’m even more appriciative of the silence-bliss I hope you get on well with yours :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

bowser:
oh and i’m 45 years old … not that old then … :sunglasses:

Not at all mate, you’ve barely had your mid-life crisis yet :grimacing:

bonnie lass:
The constant droneing of it’s voice was driving me nuts until I pulled it’s wire loose & sent it hastily under the passenger seat where it came to rest :wink: , then, leaving me feeling rather guilty 'cos it was a gift :blush: :blush: :frowning: , but peace & quiet was blissfully restored again :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ). A couple of days later I was visitng somebody in maternity ward & we decided to take a short walk to the main hospital door,& two paces from the bed we were commanded to take a u-turn :open_mouth: (as I had shoved it in my bag presuming it was tuned off, as it hadn’t spoked for the last few hours :exclamation: :blush: :blush: ). She gave birth that night after the embaressing fit of uncontrolable fits of the giggles after). The said satnav now sits in a box & I’m even more appriciative of the silence-bliss I hope you get on well with yours :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

You can turn the volume completely down, but even better (for me anyway) is to download “Silent Voice” from the TomTom website, so you don’t get the irritating voice directions, but you do still get audible alerts for speed cameras etc.

bowser:
i’m not to happy about using one yet because i’m old school and prefer to work it out myself using my maps and pencils …

like this…

if my calculations are correct the tesco rdc should be around about here, X marks the spot, pha who needs a sut nerv" :wink: :laughing:

I update mine every week and it still thinks i am not allowed through the dartford tunnel in a lorry.

I only have a very basic TomTom which is about four years old but I still think it is a fantastic piece of kit, probably the best thing invented since I have been doing the job.

Yep, as everyone says, use it as a tool, do not ever allow it to over-rule common sense, they do take a while to learn to use but once you do, you will never be without it. Best thing is that when the planner phones to ask when you will arrive somewhere, you can say “the satnav says in 15 minutes” and so you can blame it if you are delayed for any reason :wink:

I no I keep on about it but I’m 22, and I will never buy a sat nav. I use a truckers atlas for my main map and have A-Zs of the respective countys that I will be in that day. Anyway a post code in a satnav will often just take u to where your destination is not, when your in the area you still gotta find the goods in yard/service road/back door or what ever.

Hey Bowser, I used to travel to all the Tesco’s delivering Containers and Reefers for their Christmas storage, the best way to find them, is to go into one of the filling stations and ask for the little book, it give perfect directions to every Tesco in the country and they are updated every two years I think.

Sapper

Harry Monk:

bonnie lass:
The constant droneing of it’s voice was driving me nuts until I pulled it’s wire loose & sent it hastily under the passenger seat where it came to rest :wink: , then, leaving me feeling rather guilty 'cos it was a gift :blush: :blush: :frowning: , but peace & quiet was blissfully restored again :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ). A couple of days later I was visitng somebody in maternity ward & we decided to take a short walk to the main hospital door,& two paces from the bed we were commanded to take a u-turn :open_mouth: (as I had shoved it in my bag presuming it was tuned off, as it hadn’t spoke for the last few hours :exclamation: :blush: :blush: ). She gave birth that night after the embaressing fit of uncontrolable fits of the giggles after). The said satnav now sits in a box & I’m even more appriciative of the silence-bliss I hope you get on well with yours :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

You can turn the volume completely down, but even better (for me anyway) is to download “Silent Voice” from the TomTom website, so you don’t get the irritating voice directions, but you do still get audible alerts for speed cameras etc.

Thanks Harry, I’ve just knocked the dust off the box & retrieved it again along with a spare packet of fnadin extra :neutral_face: looks like i’ll have to charge it up first,… I’ll give it another chance :wink:

bowser:

Harry Monk:

it dont say anything like that on mine … :open_mouth:

…nor mine… …nor the one I was using before I bought mine…

Hmm, I am sure it should have the ce mark somewhere on it, does it not say on that?

On mine, it says “navigon”. Nothing on my FM transmitter as well…