How to drop a trailer

Let me ask why when I lifted the suspension on my unit last night why i couldn’t reach the pin?
Jeez what are some drivers doing? I had to wind the legs down to reach the pin with the unit suspension raised!
Please tell me all on this forum DO NOT raise the suspension of your unit before winding down the legs? It was surely what you were taught on your test?
Rant over but I’ve seen two blokes miss the pin in two months.
I don’t want to be filling out loads of paperwork and ruining my unit (OK not mine) because of this!

I’ve seen drivers raise the unit suspension before winding the legs down into the ground,
and I can only think they are getting themselves confused somewhere.
There was none of this trouble when everything ran on leaf springs.
Sometimes, if the trailer has been stood a while or has an air leak the suspension
will go down at the back and cause the front of the trailer to lift a fair bit.

i beg to differ with the leaf spring statement old chap , i remember many a time looking for bits of wood and bricks to make ramps with because the trailer was to high … why is it you could never find bricks when you needed them … :smiley:

Scania’s raise their rear end a touch if the lift axle is up, but only a couple of inches, so you should be able to reach, but I have noticed that DAF XF’s raised suspension isn’t very high.

Just look after number 1 mate, make sure you do your pin check etc, I’ve took out lights / lenses in the past and you feel like a right plonka for 2 seconds of checking.

streaky:
Let me ask why when I lifted the suspension on my unit last night why i couldn’t reach the pin?
Jeez what are some drivers doing? I had to wind the legs down to reach the pin with the unit suspension raised!
Please tell me all on this forum DO NOT raise the suspension of your unit before winding down the legs? It was surely what you were taught on your test?
I don’t want to be filling out loads of paperwork and ruining my unit (OK not mine) because of this!

I imagine the air had leaked from the air bags or somebody had lowered the trailer suspension while it was parked up, that alone can raise the pin 2 or 3 inches

axletramp:
I’ve seen drivers raise the unit suspension before winding the legs down into the ground,
and I can only think they are getting themselves confused somewhere.
There was none of this trouble when everything ran on leaf springs.
Sometimes, if the trailer has been stood a while or has an air leak the suspension
will go down at the back and cause the front of the trailer to lift a fair bit.

When we had leaf springs. I was always told to leave the landing wheels an inch off the ground on an empty trailer or just touching when it was loaded. Yes I have done the job with railway sleepers and broken tilt boards to try to even up the potholed yard

bowser:
i beg to differ with the leaf spring statement old chap , i remember many a time looking for bits of wood and bricks to make ramps with because the trailer was to high … why is it you could never find bricks when you needed them … :smiley:

always used the low gear on the legs myself a lot easier that going round the yard with a wheelbarrow collecting dunnage
just a tad harder if it’s been dropped low

Not all 5th wheels are the same height I think this is especially the case on sliding and fixed.

Mr B:
Not all 5th wheels are the same height I think this is especially the case on sliding and fixed.

And that is the first lesson in avoiding bridge strikes :laughing:

There always the no legs method of dropping a trailer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1302277690.329918.jpg

Mr B:

Bet that was you lol.

Wheel Nut:

streaky:

I imagine the air had leaked from the air bags or somebody had lowered the trailer suspension while it was parked up, that alone can raise the pin 2 or 3 inches

Nah wheelnut, I raised the suspension thinking it could have been that, airbags full and trailer still above the wheel. You could see legs had never been down that far as they were clean as you like for the first few inches.

streaky:

Wheel Nut:

streaky:

Nah wheelnut, I raised the suspension thinking it could have been that, airbags full and trailer still above the wheel. You could see legs had never been down that far as they were clean as you like for the first few inches.

Sounds like someone is on the “wind up”

ha ha…

Steve-o:

Mr B:

Bet that was you lol.

Ha ha not me this time but I was stood watching, phone in hand waiting for the guilty man to get out of shot.

We have a driver who when he`s dropped a trailer always dumps the air suspension on it, bleedin pain in the arris.

dowahdiddyman:
We have a driver who when he`s dropped a trailer always dumps the air suspension on it, bleedin pain in the arris.

It was always the way in Germany too, but drop the air before you wind the legs down or uncouple. I didnt always agree with it but I was outnumbered by Jeermans

Wheel Nut:

dowahdiddyman:

It was always the way in Germany too, but drop the air before you wind the legs down or uncouple. I didnt always agree with it but I was outnumbered by Jeermans

I remember seeing this on a notice somewhere - thought it was daft at the time and ignored it.

Santa:

Wheel Nut:

dowahdiddyman:

I remember seeing this on a notice somewhere - thought it was daft at the time and ignored it.

I’ve actually seen the notice at a few places in Blighty, but it’s never been enforced so I usually ignore it

bowser:

When I used to drive for a certain local firm on agency, I often got issued with an ERF ec11, and, as anyone who knows those motors, they never hadlifting suspension. At this same said local firm, invariably, the trailers were too high for the unit, and you either wound down the trailer legs, got the shunters to lift it for you if the legs were buggered, or, the first time for me, miss the pin and get it trapped the other side of the fifth wheel :blush: …used to happen all the time at said local firm.

We have a notice telling us to dump the air before backing on a bay so long as it’s done before dropping the legs it won’t make any difference to pin height.