How do you cope?

When your away all week, if you have young kids, or kids full stop, how do you manage not seeing them from monday til friday?

I don’t tramp as no one pays sufficient money to make it worth it.

Driving and being away when I lived there lost me two wives :exclamation:

Not all bad then :laughing:

Well Chris, I did come off nights out for a few years when the kids were little, but that was because the wife wanted it that way. I did do 2 or 3 a week when I had me own motors though. Basically, I cope (personally speaking) because its no hardship really, Im not a kid person really, dont get me wrong, I love em and they say Im a great dad, but kids dont interest me very much, I just am very glad they have a mom thats a 100% real kid person! :slight_smile: The wife is a drivers daughter, and understands that I prefer to do the job from the cab than getting up from home every day, I reckon Im just lucky. If she wernt that way, I’d probably be cab hotel a long time now.

Mal.

I cope by not doing regular nights out :smiley:

one night out every couple of months is enough for me!

I’ve got a lil boy of 9 months, after i’d had him i found it really difficult being away on nights, so i’ve stopped, i now find it difficult being away for 12 hours. I have often wondered whether i could strap a car seat into the wagon, but i don’t think that would go down to well somehow… smiles
:laughing:

I gave the job up for many reasons but the numbr one factor was my 5 year old son and my 2 year old daughter, i didnt want to be a father who wasnt there to see them grow up, i took a MASSIVE drop in money got an office job , finish at 5pm every night see my kids have lots of kisses and cuddles constantly.

I just could not imagine not having that any more.

I tried tramping as my first job, although i loved the job, it lasted only 2 weeks, as i missed my son to much, he was just over a year old then and is nearly 2 now, ive thought about the idea of going back doing nights away, but i still cant get past the thought of not seeing my son for days at a time, was just curious how others coped.

No kids, don’t want kids, and no other ties at the moment and for the time being, I like it that way. Currently night-outting Sunday to Thursday night and see nearly £550 in my pocket for that each week which I look forward to to clear off the last few grand off my credit card and then get a good deposit down for a place of my own.

The last g/f I had went to pieces because I spent 2-4 nights out away. I do believe that this job in general isn’t an ideal one for having a partner, especially not in the early days of a relationship. Don’t suppose it’s as bad if you’re married/whatever and the wife is probably glad to have you out from under her feet :laughing:

Gurner:
When your away all week, if you have young kids, or kids full stop, how do you manage not seeing them from monday til friday?

You don’t.

i dont no if you cope or just get used to it ive been married for 6 years and tramped for five an half of them ive got 2 boys one whos 3 today and a 5 month old.with me its acase of needs must if icould get payed what i get now and go home every night i would…ive got a mobile i just do what et did and phone home.oh yeah it helps if your wifes a star…

It helps if your children get accustomed to this way of life from an early age…it doesn’t make it any better for you though! I’ve been away, sometimes for months on end, for 19 years now and been with the wife for 20 so make what you want of that :smiley: We still get on great believe it or not, probably as we say though it’s because we’ve only spent 3 years together! For a family man to do this kind of work, I’m currently event driving, then you need either a strong woman at home…or no woman. Then as your kids get bigger so does your phone bill…but I’ve a good life and making a good living so don’t begrudge spending £400 a month on my mobile…they’re worth it!