Hot diesel....

Heya folks, still settling into my Scania. Make the best of a bad situation i say and gettin her looking presentable after half a ton of mud and crap inside was left!

Thing is i’m a little worried. It’s got two standard 300 litre tanks and the left hand one gets really hot and the right hand doesn’t. Looked underneath and can’t see how the exhaust would warm it up as it’s not directly pointed to the tank? I would have thought the right hand side would get warm considering where the exhaust system is.

Is this normal for the truck? Or is cooking itself internally :laughing:

Also, under the handbrake i’ve found a air connector the same as a tyre valve. I assume (and you what they say about assumption) it’s for an air gun? My old Stralis had a dedicated connector, but would rather check here first encase i drain air out of something i shouldn’t and end up flying out the windscreen. Heh, i know i aint good looking but don’t want to make it much worse :smiley:

Any help mucho appreciated!

Cheers

Stu

I would say you are still learning!

The reason your fuel is warm is more likely to be because new Scania and most other modern vehicles are common rail with higher fuel pressures, when the pressure becomes excessive it is redirected back to the tank. ■■■■■■■ Engines have done it for donkeys years. The feed to one tank will come from the pump and the twin tanks will balance themselves out eventually.

As for the Schrader valve under the dash it isn’t for a curly blowgun line but to replenish the air supply to move the truck in an emergency or to test equipment in a workshop

Your hot diesel tank will be caused by the return fuel from the engine going into that tank, as it goes through it gets hot, you will find that the tank in question is the one that the fuel lines run to and from, the other one just siphons into it, so nothing to worry about :wink:

The schraeder? valve under the handbrake is indeed capable of attaching an air duster too, I think its real purpose is as a point to blow air into the system if the thing breaks down and loses its air, I had a 4 series and it went through MOTs etc with a duster gun attached so it must be ok :wink:

Ahhh i see… talk about being a n00b eh?! Thought i’d check it out as never had it with my Stralis of CF tanks. As long as it’s normal, thats cool :slight_smile:

Thanks newcomerman, will get me a duster gun tomorrow. Sweeping out my crusty bread sandwhich crumbs is getting a bit tedious now :laughing:

Wait till the cold weather and when you open it smoke comes out

The newer Scanies have a cold weather diesel heater fitted :slight_smile: well the ones I’ve driven have 10plate, on/off switch is to the left side of the steering wheel.