Hot Fuel

I know it’s been hot lately but my ally diesel tank is getting really hot, it’s sat under the body behind the second steer axle well away from the exhaust and engine & gearbox yet after being parked in the shade for half hour it was still as hot as ever.

The side rails in front of the tank are steel and were not even remotely warm. As a comparison I wandered over and felt the tank on our artic unit which is right next to the exhaust between axles 1 & 2. It was warm as you’d expect but not too hot to touch.

Any ideas?

8wheels:
I know it’s been hot lately but my ally diesel tank is getting really hot, it’s sat under the body behind the second steer axle well away from the exhaust and engine & gearbox yet after being parked in the shade for half hour it was still as hot as ever.

The side rails in front of the tank are steel and were not even remotely warm. As a comparison I wandered over and felt the tank on our artic unit which is right next to the exhaust between axles 1 & 2. It was warm as you’d expect but not too hot to touch.

Any ideas?

Prob the return pipe to the tank from the engine mate. But saying that, mine gets warm but not hot to touch!!

I used to drive a Volvo F12 and it had a heated diesel tank, it had what looked like a huge kettle element in it which was heated by water from the cooling system.

I’ll have a look, it’s tucked under the body so any extra device wouldn’t be obvious but never heard of anything like that before. When I fill up I’ve noticed some “steamy” wisps coming from he tank, never seen that before either.

Warm fuel will all ways return to the tank, than and warm air temperature making it feel warmer than normal? Perhaps your truck has different fuel system to the tractor unit, may be common rail compaired to normal pump, different fuel return temps. ■■■■■■■ engine trucks use to get quite warm on tank, outside of tank steaming on a damp day!

Must be a ■■■■■■■ motor surely?

Could it have a blocked breather?

The extra pressure causing the heat?

Trev_H:
Must be a ■■■■■■■ motor surely?

On a Scrapia■■?

I have driven a Scania that had that issue…I say issue, but it never caused me any problems, the tank used to steam like buggery when you opened it to fill it.
Back in the cab driving, forgotten about… :sunglasses:

Mine is a 59 plate R420 the unit is a 56 plate R480 so as far as I know basically the same.

A year or two back we (as in me) had a machine catch fine in transit, when the Fire Brigade had done their job we pumped the remaining fuel out as the fuel lines had burned through. The fuel was hot and made the barrel too hot to touch, the fuel was hot enough to ignite easily. Now it may be my imagination but the fuel tank is getting pretty hot, too hot for my liking. I’ll investigate further tomorrow.

the 57 plate R420 i drive the front tank gets rather warm aswell, think is something to do with the returned fuel thats warm going back into the tank, where as the second tank further back doesnt get warm as it only goes into the main one

wouldnt worry about mate, our older 53 plate R420 does the same thing aswell

Saw a diesel tanker burn out on m3 construction site looong time back, cab was sinders but tank and fuel were scorched but sound.

Auto ignition point for diesel 210c.

Hiya… i was in egypt a few years ago the tempeture was 50 digrees. i had clogs on
and the heat was coming up through the soles and burning my feet… never saw any
trucks catch fire…god that was hot.
John

I wasn’t suggesting it would auto ignite, it’s just having lost piece of expensive machinery to fire you tend to try and find out what is causing the problem before it really is a problem.

Apparently on that engine the return to the tank runs across the top of the engine, yesterday was pretty hot and I’d been doing quite a bit with the crane so the engine was getting very warm with no airflow.

So no harm done and I’ve learnt something in the process.

drove a scania a few times on agency, it appeared to have a diesel heater for cold weather, switch was below left of steering wheel :slight_smile: maybe some scandinavian trucks have them wired in all the time ?

8wheels:
Mine is a 59 plate R420 the unit is a 56 plate R480 so as far as I know basically the same.

A year or two back we (as in me) had a machine catch fine in transit, when the Fire Brigade had done their job we pumped the remaining fuel out as the fuel lines had burned through. The fuel was hot and made the barrel too hot to touch, the fuel was hot enough to ignite easily. Now it may be my imagination but the fuel tank is getting pretty hot, too hot for my liking. I’ll investigate further tomorrow.

Deffo return fuel. Temperature will depend on how much “cold” fuel is in the tank. A full tank will take longer to warm up.
Which tank did you feel on the unit 8Wheels ■■. Remember it will have 2 tanks and only 1 will have the return to it :wink: Also the none return tank, usually the offside, is right next to the exhaust :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

OK I’ll admit that I only the checked the nearest tank.

Lycanthrope:
drove a scania a few times on agency, it appeared to have a diesel heater for cold weather, switch was below left of steering wheel :slight_smile: maybe some scandinavian trucks have them wired in all the time ?

Ours have the switch too…I have never used it, as it is not that cold here.

i have flicked the switch before now not realising what it was and had the fuel near steaming, it was on a scani and the switch was by the difflock switches from what i remember