Scania EGR

Guy i run with mostly has an egr scania. Its only a a couple of months old and is always really hot. Today we noticed the diesel tank was real hot aswell , so much so that it caused alot of diesel to come out the overflow :open_mouth:
Can anyone enlighten me is this normal

It’s not unusual for diesel to get ‘warm’. A diesel engine, by design, and in order to ensure fuel to the injectors, constantly pumps fuel to the manifold assembly, with any excess being returned to the tank. By the very nature of that journey, the fuel will come into contact with ‘cooled’ components, and will therefore itself, serve to dissipate heat.

Hence the fuel in the tank becomes ‘warmed’.

I’ve never known it to come out of the overflow but, on checking the tank once on a hot sunny day, some twerp had filled it to the brim, and when I removed the cap for a visual check, I got bloody soaked in the stuff. :blush: :unamused: :unamused:

:laughing:

Yep our Skoda does that to tank often gets warm. Done a fair few thousand KM’s now though and alls still fine.

I wonder how long it will take until all that EGR gubbins will need a total clean out ? as they normally gunge up pretty quick.

I think i can safely say this isnt right. You shouldnt be able to fry an egg on the tank, should you?

When the fuel caps released does it feel under pressure? Is it a bit like taking the top of a bottle of pop that been shaken?
Ours did that, the breather got bloked causing it also made the tank even hotter than normal.

Scania EGR engines do run warm,there designed to so they can meet emmisons regs,also the n/s fuel tank get’s hot as the engine is fitted with a derivative of the ■■■■■■■ PT fuel system where warm fuel is returned to the tank to save it waxing.