HIAB work

Is it any good, had a 1st interview for HIAB work??

Got told a place local to me were after a Class2, so called in for a form,
“Fill that out here if you dont mind” as I was handed 2 pieces of A4 with general basic questions on it,
So filled it out, had a chat with the gaffer,
Told him I didnt have a HIAB, he said it wasnt a problem as they would train me up, he was impressed that I am paying for my own Class1(they run them there aswell) and then asked me If i was pushed for time
Me - “No not really”
Gaffer - “Good, youve got a test drive”

Volvo auto, first time ive driven one, nice and smooth and the left peg retired :smiley:

Quid an hour more than I am on at the mo, more holidays, no sick pay (Not been off sick for 5 years now) and optional overtime (within reason)

He has more interviews on Friday then 1 on Tuesday, but said will ring me Tuesday when he makes a decision.

yes hiab work is ok once you learn what the crane can do :laughing: i take it you just be offloading if the wagons positioned correctly when you get the legs out the jobs a breeze allways go for max reach on crane first few lifts leaves you room to play about with when landing rest of load .aggro point blocking a road off in a small town cause thats where they want it thats part of the job :laughing:

What sort of Hiab work is it?

Clamshell Bucket
Brick Grab
Hook

I used to have a job where I was using the crane most of the time, now it’s a rarity.

It’s quite satisfying once you get good at controlling it, although if you are working alone and slinging pallets it is quite hard going if you are doing a full load.

Most of my diaries are available to read here

You will need to look at the earliest posts from last year.

Loading and unloading Portacabin type things.

do you like heights and shaky ladders :laughing:

In that case there’s often someone to help, in which case it’s not too bad. If not gently does it is the key to stop them spinning. Remote cranes are handy in this instance as you can move around and control your load slightly at the same time as moving it.

It is easier to load 1 cabin on board than 14 stillages that’s for sure .

Go for it.

If handling anything as big as a portacabin,it’s the usual thing to have a helper with a rope on a corner of the load to stop it rotating and get it in the right position for landing.

cool mate it’s interesting varied it can be hard work but it’s fun

if you are goin on to site’s have a look first an pm me with who you are goin on for you never know i might of worked for them :open_mouth:

B1 GGK:

is it sibcas at atherton by any chance

Best thing about doing hiab work is your never sat on a bay waiting for somebody to be bothered to tip you…if you decide the loads coming off, thats it, its coming off :laughing:

I have been doing it for 18 months or so now and to be honest mate, it would take a seriously good job to tempt me away from it now.

Bad news.

Had a call today to say that a guy who was fully trained and currebtly out of work has got the job :cry:

Oh well, the hunt carries on.