Help with Plant

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of help, a new agency has booked me to do a days plant collection and delivery, Uckfield to Milton Keynes, this Friday. On what I’m told is a 32 Tonne Volvo Beavertail rigid (No HIAB)

They think its 2 small Tractors, or it might be one slightly bigger one. Now I’ve never driven a Tractor before, or even done plant could someone give me a few tips, how to use 'em etc!

Really appreciated!

Alex

If you have never operated a tractor before do not attempt to drive it. Ask whoever you are collecting from to do it. Plenty of straps through the wheels. No different to anything else with wheels really just plenty of straps and chocks if you have em.

If it genuinely is a tractor get them to load it, I often load our tractor at work for collecting wagon drivers modern tractors can be very confusing!

Griffin560:
If you have never operated a tractor before do not attempt to drive it. Ask whoever you are collecting from to do it. Plenty of straps through the wheels. No different to anything else with wheels really just plenty of straps and chocks if you have em.

Perhaps a stupid question but here goes, are you allowed to use straps in this situation ? I was once told that it’s chains only for plant.

BradCarTransporter:

Griffin560:

Perhaps a stupid question but here goes, are you allowed to use straps in this situation ? I was once told that it’s chains only for plant.

Suppose it depends on company policy■■? I’ve done tractor work for balfor Beatty and they insisted on straps everywhere. But I did use chains on others bit easier if you ask me. But aslong as it is totally secure what does it matter■■?

BradCarTransporter:

Griffin560:

Not vey but it just depends on which way you use the chains

Drove them a few years ago now so a bit vague on them but you will prob have two safety levers either side of your knees to push forward before you can move. Also they are very powerfull so select low ratio and make sure splitter pin is across both brake pedals otherwise you might brake and turn at same time, good luck.