Plant hire experience

Afternoon all, I’ve seen a job advertised for a plant hire company and wondered if anyone could help? I’ve been on fridge work for since passing my test 4 years ago so have absolutely no experience in loading diggers, dumpers etc. Is it easy enough to pick up?

Many thanks

I’ve been doing this sort of work since the beginning of November. Mainly various type of cherry pickers, mainly self propelled, some are on wheels and some are tracked so drive like a tank :grimacing:
Bit of a steep learning curve with driving the machines and then safely getting them on the lorries, but have to be honest i’m quite enjoying it as its abit different. I thought everything would be chained down, but its all done by with ratchet straps at our place, and they insist on a minimum of 4 per machine. Its all own account work, as access equipment is the companies business and the lorries are just something they need to deliver said product. They are realising though, that having the right lorries to do the right job will benefit them in the long run.

chilistrucker:
I’ve been doing this sort of work since the beginning of November. Mainly various type of cherry pickers, mainly self propelled, some are on wheels and some are tracked so drive like a tank :grimacing:
Bit of a steep learning curve with driving the machines and then safely getting them on the lorries, but have to be honest i’m quite enjoying it as its abit different. I thought everything would be chained down, but its all done by with ratchet straps at our place, and they insist on a minimum of 4 per machine. Its all own account work, as access equipment is the companies business and the lorries are just something they need to deliver said product. They are realising though, that having the right lorries to do the right job will benefit them in the long run.

Are you back working then pal :question: ,great news.

Hello seth :grimacing:
Yeah back working, sort of. Started as a yardman at my mates place in November, kind of keeping everything tidy etc, now moved onto doing p.d.i checks on all the machines which although a really steep learning curve, i am enjoying a new and unusual challenge. I also help load and unload the trucks as they come and go, and now i’ve got my car licence back, i am getting out a fair bit in the firms l.w.b Land Rover and 3 axle trailer delivery smaller equipment on and off sites, plus showing the customer how to set up and operate the machines. So compared to the hell of last year, things are looking up and they have just ordered a brand new 26 tonne Volvo with some sort of sliding body■■? due April/May so should hopefully have my LGV back by then i hope. My mate/boss said they want me on the Volvo as they know it will then get looked after properly :wink:

Hows things your end mate?

if this works, should be a link to the sort of stuff we work with
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiVFFKgspJI

Stavross7:
Afternoon all, I’ve seen a job advertised for a plant hire company and wondered if anyone could help? I’ve been on fridge work for since passing my test 4 years ago so have absolutely no experience in loading diggers, dumpers etc. Is it easy enough to pick up?

Many thanks

It all depends on what plant you have to move and with what, it will help if you have machine operating experience… Mini diggers can be scary and steel drum rollers when its wet…you shouldnt have to side load nowadays tho which should help :unamused:

Hi stavross.
Doddle to pick up. Imo best job out there. What do you want to know.

widget:

Stavross7:

Many thanks

It all depends on what plant you have to move and with what, it will help if you have machine operating experience… Mini diggers can be scary and steel drum rollers when its wet…you shouldnt have to side load nowadays tho which should help :unamused:

I would rather put that slew on the trailer in your pic than I would load one up over the ramps of my nooteboom. Just the corners that are the problem.

bigears:
Hi stavross.
Doddle to pick up. Imo best job out there. What do you want to know.

+1

But,

Who’s it for■■?

Left that kind of work nearly 2 years ago now because of the H&S $%^&* stitching me up to justify his existence at the co. :imp:

Thanks all.
The company is Aplant. The ad says training will be provided etc, but I have no experience of driving any plant at all.

8wheels is your plant man on here…
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3018

Have a read through his diaries and blog…

8-wheels.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Stavross7:
Thanks all.
The company is Aplant. The ad says training will be provided etc, but I have no experience of driving any plant at all.

Go for it … cushy little number … with all the training aswell :grimacing:

Great blog of 8 wheels… Not seen that great heads up billybigrig :wink:

I move mostly various flt’s but other stuff to, I love the variety and the fact I never know where I could end up, lots within a hundred miles or so but also cross country deliveries and pick ups.
With the odd night out due to distance or early site deliveries.
Take it easy strapping the load, check and double check don’t rush, that write up was spot on and very informative.

I’ll just add a few bits and pieces, hopefully my account of my work from a few years back may give some sort of detail.

Firstly it’s a completely different job from driving a fridge, I did a year on a fridge and have been moving plant for nearly 10 now. It is dirty work, can be physical and typically will involve just as much work outside of the cab as in it.

A company like A plant is a good way to learn, all the kit should be serviceable and there will be other drivers, fitters etc to help and learn from. They’ll probably want it done “their” way which if you don’t know otherwise is easy, I’d probably struggle as “my” way may not suit “theirs”

A couple of worthwhile tips.

Always take the time to familiarise yourself with the machine before loading it, if someone else loads it and you don’t know how to operate it learning when it’s 4’ off the deck is a bad idea. Typically you cannot fall off level ground!

Never assume everything works as is should, often it gets broken or damaged so take a bit of extra care

If it looks wrong, it probably is. Look at other plant vehicles to see how they are loaded and try an pick up tips.

There are good rewards to be had for getting the job done right, maybe not at a big national plant firm but it will open doors. A fellow member on here started with a national and a couple of days experience riding shotgun with me, he’ll admit he struggled but after 6 months got a different job driving a lowloader with new class 1 licence on the basis of that experience. Now changed again and doing well, it’s not been easy but certainly achievable.

It is a job that will kill you or injure you if you take silly chances, most plant drivers will have experienced incidents in one way or another that could have been very nasty and indeed there are some that have never come home.

Get better or die trying!

Thanks for all the advice.

I done 3 years with Southdown Plant many moons ago in deptford i think they got swallowed up by hewden hire but i loved it properly the best job i ever had

Bring on the mud and ice!!! :smiling_imp:

And you won’t be driving off the back.

More like sliding off the ramps.

No matter how much salt / grit you use, you’ll slide - so be prepared for a few surprises, even when you have the dipper arm down to assist while tracking off the back.

My ex co’ said to use the winch to assist you going down…

Er… 2ton rated winch to stop you sliding a 10ton digger!! ■■ :open_mouth:

Typical office desk driver! :imp:

You wanna try driving a reach truck with a 3 metre closed mast height down my ramp, :open_mouth:
you need to get the seat surgically removed from your backside :laughing:
I winch them on and off now, too many close shaves.

It will go on :smiley:… a few moons ago ( no H&S comments please )

:open_mouth: It looks like the trailer is being humped :laughing:

Nah, it’s one of them transformer thingybobs.