Help Required

Glad no one was hurt. From the facts as given it sounds to me that the truck driver got in the wrong lane on the approach to the roundabout, in lane 4 for going right when they wanted to go straight on. Realised their mistake and corrected into lane 3 as they moved onto the roundabout, but failed to see the car as it was in the blind spot. Result - bang, nudge spin, scary moment.

Doesn’t sound like the car driver had done much wrong, she was in a correct lane for the direction she wished to take and it was a simple case of the truck driver not allowing for the blind spot before making their manoeuvre. I also think that at a roundabout where access onto it is controlled by lights you would expect another vehicle to be down your nearside when you are in lane 4.

Also sounds like the driver was unaware they had made contact with the car because the natural reaction would be to brake, even a little, or move away from the car before maybe thinking - " [zb] that, I’m off." From the account given it seems they continued as normal so are likely unaware they made contact.

peirre:

Gaynor Hancock:
little Z3

sort of expains a lot to me, your car being a BMW
where the indicators working/in use??

As the car was intending to go straight ahead there would be no reason, and it would be wrong to, have an indicator on at that point. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you need to use indicators to go across a roundabout ?

To the left or right indicators maybe / should be used.

My indicators worked fine, not sure if they work now though, since car is in for repair !!!

ive driven this lorry it belongs to nyk logistics in castleford on the car parts side the manager in the office is called stan.

jessicas dad:
ive driven this lorry it belongs to nyk logistics in castleford on the car parts side the manager in the office is called stan.

It’s a Hill Hire on for NYK Alex, repton has just gone through my tacho scans and I drove it on 3.1.06.

Gaynor Hancock:

Have you ever taken a driving test? OF COURSE YOU DO.

Well now the identity has been established,would someone be kind enough to give this lady the details of the office,so that she can make headway?

Ken.

Gaynor Hancock:

To the left or right indicators maybe / should be used.

If you’re taking the first exit then you should signal left on approach.
If you’re going straight on (or something approximating straight on) you do not signal at all on approach.
If you’re turning right you should signal right on approach.

In any case, you should start to signal left as you pass the exit before the one you intend to take, and cancel the indicator once you are off the roundabout.

Paul

Gaynor Hancock:

obviously not if your driving a BMW

Quinny:
Well now the identity has been established,would someone be kind enough to give this lady the details of the office,so that she can make headway?

Ken.

My concern with this is that as far as I am aware the police are dealing with this matter and it should be handled as such. Gaynor has more than enough reason to be upset but there is a good reason why upset individuals aren’t encouraged to approach the offending party in person.

Quinny:

Personally I think she should leave it to the police and insurance company.

Gaynor Hancock:
The police are doing there job in a procedure, and my insurance are too, maybe I am a little impatient and want a result now, so I can get my car repaired.

I would hope on a BMW Z3 you have comprehensive insurance and so surely you can get your car repaired anyway? If you want to try and get the money for the repair directly from the person who caused the accident to avoid the insurance claim then I would think you’re completely wasting your time, as the driver in question isn’t likely to be personally interested and the driver’s employer will just give you their insurance details and I would be amazed if their insurers will talk to anyone other than your insurers so you are, as far as I can tell, wasting your time.

Paul

My concern with this is that as far as I am aware the police are dealing with this matter and it should be handled as such. Gaynor has more than enough reason to be upset but there is a good reason why upset individuals aren’t encouraged to approach the offending party in person.

My concern precisely. I am also very aware that we only have one side of the story, and that very rarely constitutes the entire truth, regardless of how good the intentions when it is told.

Leave it to the Police, that’s what they’re there for.

Edited to add quote for clarification - there seem to have been a few of us posting together! :blush:

Well seeing as she’s shown that she has little clue how to use roundabouts:

Highway Code:

63: Give plenty of room to long vehicles on the roundabout as they need more space to manoeuvre. Do not ride in the space they need to get round the roundabout. It may be safer to wait until they have cleared the roundabout.

163: In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

• pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
  • traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
  • motorcyclists
  • cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout
    * long vehicles (including those towing trailers) which might have to take a different course approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

196: Large vehicles. These may need extra road space to turn or to deal with a hazard that you are not able to see. If you are following a large vehicle, such as a bus or articulated lorry, be prepared to stop and wait if it needs room or time to turn.

hi gaynor i know the roundabout fairly well and it is a bit tight you have to get to lanes to safley get round but for straight on he should have been in lane 2 or 3 not lane for unless the driver was going to the fiat place a bit futher up the road from there if the driver was going the fiat place then he would have been in lane 3 and 4 so that they were in the right hand lane so after exiting the roundabout the driuver would the in the outside and able to turn right .

ive not driven the axor but it sounds you were in the drivers blind spot

Conor:

Gaynor Hancock:

Have you ever taken a driving test? OF COURSE YOU DO.

But not at the point where the incident occured, it would be after that they would be used.

Thank you Jessicas Dad.

I am going to give this information to my insurance company and leave it with them to sort out.

I am very grateful to everyone that has responded and will of course, let you know the outcome.

I was a bit worried and concerned that when I joined this forum, that I may upset or even anger you fellow lorry drivers, however you have proved to be a fabulous bunch of guys, thank you so much, all the information I have received has been invaluable, I sincerely would like to thank each and everyone out there.

Good night and God bless you all

Gaynor x

Conor:
Well seeing as she’s shown that she has little clue how to use roundabouts:

Highway Code:

63: Give plenty of room to long vehicles on the roundabout as they need more space to manoeuvre. Do not ride in the space they need to get round the roundabout. It may be safer to wait until they have cleared the roundabout.

163: In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

• pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
  • traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
  • motorcyclists
  • cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout
    * long vehicles (including those towing trailers) which might have to take a different course approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

196: Large vehicles. These may need extra road space to turn or to deal with a hazard that you are not able to see. If you are following a large vehicle, such as a bus or articulated lorry, be prepared to stop and wait if it needs room or time to turn.

All this is irrelivent, he was in the wrong lane, all this doesnt give a lorry driver a right to just drive into another lane to get to the exit he wants to go in.

Ladytrucker679:

jessicas dad:

It’s a Hill Hire on for NYK Alex, repton has just gone through my tacho scans and I drove it on 3.1.06.

i drove it last year on nights and its crap it was ridicolous trying to get reverse.

jessicas dad:
i drove it last year on nights and its crap it was ridicolous trying to get reverse.

That’s the one! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Gaynor Hancock:
I was coming of M62 Junction 9 onto the A49 Winwick Road, Roundabout with traffic lights, lane 1 takes you left to Forton leisure, then a dividing island shaped like a big triangle, then 3 lanes, 1st and 2nd lane will take you across rounabout to continue on the A49, 4th lane will take you right onto Cromwell Avenue, the driver of the lorry was in lane 4, I was in lane 3 to his left, I don’t suppose at this point the driver knew that a little Z3 was at the side of him at lights, maybe he did, I will never know.
Lights turned green and he set of and so did I, he then swung to the left to move over to the lane I was in, that is when he hit the back drivers side of my car, my car then swerved to the rightand his massive wheel then went into my drivers door, and pushed me over to lane 2, where i then lost control of vehicle and mounted the dividing traingle (Island) between lanes, 1 & 2 the lorry driver continued in the lane I was orginally in and went across roundabout and drove down the A49, heading towards Warrington.

I hope that explians it a bit better.

That does shed a bit more light on the subject so given this info I now retract my version of events posted earlier :laughing: :laughing:

Still what I said about the cctv stands tho :wink: