Hello from a new bin jockey

I’m relatively new to the world of real lorries (currently driving a Dennis Phoenix, Elite 2) after 5 years driving 7.5t’s. Passed my C test in February, thanks to GTG Training in Edinburgh…3 minors for signals…but wish I’d found TruckNet before I started. There’d have probably been a lot less stress on my part. Looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning more new stuff.

Hi Pumpkin (does that sound odd? :blush: ) congrats on the great result,welcome to the board!

I’m pretty new myself,passed in March 2nd time lucky,no 7.5 experience before. Have you done your CPC yet or do you have Grandfathers rights? Looking at getting mine done,what were GTG like?

All the best

Adam

Thanks Adam. I had grandfather rights…passed my car test in the dim and distant past (1987). I didn’t choose GTG, was fortunate to be put through by my employer as they upgrade the fleet. Training was in a pretty new DAF (4 over 4 split box), 2:1 not sure if that’s standard or just the option my boss went with. I did 4 days plus test, other guy was doing 5 days plus a re-test but was a couple of days ahead of me so I had 1:1 on the Thursday afternoon and Friday morning! Think we covered EVERY test route from the Livingston test centre…went round way too many roundabouts lol.

Roundabouts and cyclists were not my friends,cyclists are still not my friends :imp:

I was lucky enough to have 1:1 when I trained,it was in a 01 Iveco Cargo that had been to the moon and back but still ran pretty sound once it warmed up! Even luckier on the morning of my re-test I had a pre run on one of the routes,then when it came to doing the practical,exact same route! How pleased was I :laughing:

Is your company going to put you through C+E as well?

adi:
Roundabouts and cyclists were not my friends,cyclists are still not my friends :imp:

I was lucky enough to have 1:1 when I trained,it was in a 01 Iveco Cargo that had been to the moon and back but still ran pretty sound once it warmed up! Even luckier on the morning of my re-test I had a pre run on one of the routes,then when it came to doing the practical,exact same route! How pleased was I :laughing:

Is your company going to put you through C+E as well?

Touch wood haven’t had a problem with cyclists! :unamused:

Not unless they suddenly start making artic bin lorries! :smiley: and if they do, there’s a lot of my routes that I’d never fit along…even without the parked cars…we’re already getting one of the loaders to fold back wing mirrors before I surgically remove them.

Pumpkin:
Not unless they suddenly start making artic bin lorries! and if they do, there’s a lot of my routes that I’d never fit along…even without the parked cars…we’re already getting one of the loaders to fold back wing mirrors before I surgically remove them.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Well there’s your alternative to +E, plastic wing mirror surgeon :slight_smile:

Dennis.jpg

In case anyone’s interested, here’s my current vehicle (yes, I know it needs a wash :blush: ).

The green livery is a result of this one…and the rest of our “new” trucks…having begun life with Cardiff City Council. Which also explains why the audible reversing warning came as bi-lingual (we got a few curious looks when we first started using them here in Edinburgh).

Hello, Pumpkin!

Yes, that does sound a little over familiar… :blush:

Why Pumpkin??! :open_mouth:

Your green steed doesn’t look so badly in need of a wash. The bi-lingual reversing alarms sound quite amusing.

Scots / Welsh - it’s all gaelic!

(Putting tin helmet on and ducking… :laughing: )

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on passing your C :sunglasses:

LoadsOfHorses:
Hello, Pumpkin!

Yes, that does sound a little over familiar… :blush:

Why Pumpkin??! :open_mouth:

Your green steed doesn’t look so badly in need of a wash. The bi-lingual reversing alarms sound quite amusing.

Scots / Welsh - it’s all gaelic!

(Putting tin helmet on and ducking… :laughing: )

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on passing your C :sunglasses:

There’s a long story behind Pumpkin…that I’m not going into here :wink: …but it’s the ID I use on several other forums so it keeps life simple.

Trust me it does need a wash if you’re close up! But at least the cab’s clean* (I’ve got my loaders trained up to bin their own rubbish and I like to leave a truck how I want to find it in the morning…always useful when my supervisors occasionally allocate trucks at random).

• Useful tip for anyone doing agency work - that was one of the reasons I got offered this job full-time. Did a couple of days on 7.5t’s and the boss saw me cleaning out the cab at the end of the second day…commented that I was the first agency driver he’d had, who he’d seen tidying without being told.

adi:
cyclists are still not my friends :imp:

Taxi are not my friend first night delivery to sheffield on C+E trailer rear swing and a stupid muslim ■■■! who just would not listen or understand the words move!! and flashed me through next thing Crunch!! needless to say his insurance would not pay out as he flashed me through and he was waiting in a no waiting zone ha ha ha ha the smelly muslim ■■■

Nice one mate and congrats on the pass. I used to work as a loader on the bins and it was one of the best jobs i have ever had cos the lads are usually the most down to earth people you could ever meet and the working day is just a barrell of laughs. Considering going back there now i have my class 1 and could have the laughs without the labour :wink:

Al

scantheman:
Nice one mate and congrats on the pass. I used to work as a loader on the bins and it was one of the best jobs i have ever had cos the lads are usually the most down to earth people you could ever meet and the working day is just a barrell of laughs. Considering going back there now i have my class 1 and could have the laughs without the labour :wink:

Al

It’s certainly better than most jobs I’ve had in the past! :smiley: Our collections are fortnightly, so we do the same routes every other week…enough variety to keep it interesting (especially when we do the rural ones) but frequently enough that I’m not having to keep checking the A-Z! :sunglasses: