Hello. Another Newbie

Hi there.

The name’s James. 20, from Derbyshire.

From what I gather now, I’m allowed to take my class 2 before I’m 21 as I’ve passed my driving licence before a certain date (new rules just in or somthing), this is stated fairly clearly on the direct.gov.uk website. What isn’t stated clearly is how to go about it (The government really does hate the haulage trade!), Although I wish this change had come about 3 years ago, I’m 21 in December!

Now alot of my mates are lorry drivers, but in these last few days I’ve not been able to get in touch with them, and it’s years since they took their tests anyway.

What I allways grew up thinking was:

1. You get your medical
  2. You get your provisional
  3. You do your theory/hazzard perception
  4. You do your practical.

Is this still the same?

I would appreciate any advice on the situation. I understand from some of the posts I’ve read there are areas of the forum for this type of stuff, I’m just a bit overwhelmed with the amount of posts and sections, I will have a better search through now.

Many thanks.
James :slight_smile:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome jef :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

jef:
What I allways grew up thinking was:

1. You get your medical
  2. You get your provisional
  3. You do your theory/hazzard perception
  4. You do your practical.

Is this still the same?

Now it is -
Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice - LGV THEORY BOOK
Module 1b HPT - HPT DVD
Module 2 Initial driver cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice INITIAL DRIVER CPC BOOK
Module 3 practicle drive - Training for this by LGV school.
Module 4 Initial driver cpc - practical on site (no driving) - Training for this by LGV school.

Both 1a & 1b must be passed before taking 3
2 must be passed before taking 4

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre - BOOK YOUR OWN THEORY TESTS
3 & 4 done at LGV driving test centre

Modules 1a, 1b & 3 to get the LGV LICENCE
Modules 2 & 4 to be allowed to be paid to drive LGVs

You do not have to do all the modules with the same training provider.
You may find that it is cheaper to shop around for the best deal for each module

jef:
From what I gather now, I’m allowed to take my class 2 before I’m 21

Correct - the legal age for driving LGVs is now age 18

Welcome :slight_smile:

I see ROG has given you the info you need :smiley:

Many thanks. Very much appreciated.

I am in Derbyshire btw. I’m checking out the recommended trainers page, but only 1 in Derbyshire, have emailed for details, but any other recommendations are more than welcome :slight_smile:

James

Welcome… if we can help answer any questions you may have PM orcall us we are only too happy to help.
Cheers Rick

Mansfield any good?? :laughing: :laughing: