Hello and intro

Hi all,

Thanks admin for approving my membership.

I’m just about to embark on my class c training, medical done, provisional applied for. This is a completely new venture for me as I have been in I.T. for the last 24 years. I’ve been told there is a shortage of drivers in the UK and wondered if that was the case? Also, does anyone know if there are companies that will take newly qualified drivers?
And my final question, sorry if it’s been repeated previously, as I passed my car test in 1985, I have been told by one company that I have to do 35 hours initial cpc before I can drive. And by another company that I only need to do the 35 hours over the next five years?

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice and guidance.

Cheers

Oily

You have to do 35 hours before you go on the road as a qualified driver. Some companies will take on newbies, agency work will give you the experience and work to start off with. Good luck.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will need to complete the 35 hours of periodic training before you can drive commercially. If you choose a trainer who has the practical driving course approved for this, then you will get some time credited to the 35 hours just by virtue of doing the driver training in cab.

You have the option of doing the initial driver cpc. This is known as Mod 2 which is a case studies test at the theory test centre (can be done at the same time as your other theory tests) followed by Mod 4 which is a practical demonstration test. This is 30 minutes at the driving test centre with the examiner where you have to show practical answers to 5 questions.

Whichever route you choose (personally, I would always plump for the periodic training as there is no pass/fail) you will need to complete another 35 hours within 5 years.

There is work about for new drivers. There is a driver shortage beginning to show itself and the “two year experience” barrier has become very flexible in many cases. Depending on the area you live would depend on the type of work.

Next bit of advice is to have at least 2 assessment drives before parting with your hard earned. Be aware you can train on an auto truck and still get a full, manual licence. Training quality varies widely as the industry is unregulated. Most trainers are not qualified or registered - beyond holding a licence themselves.

You may find this useful: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

If you find a website advertising training all over the UK, this will be a training broker. Steer clear and deal direct.

Anything else you want to know, just fire away.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the input guys.

Please excuse me questioning, I just want to get things clear in my mind.

Am I correct in saying that if I do the initial cpc mod 2 and mod 4, then I do not need to do 35 hours in a classroom?

Unfortunately being on the South east coast I can only go inland and this restricts my training locations unless I travel. The company i was going to take my training with is in Maidstone (Kent Metro) and as far as I can gather is not a broker. They have told me that I need to do 35 hours in a classroom plus the 3/4 days driving.

I am looking at other providers but they seem to be brokers (HGV Express, LGV Training Co). So I guess I am after some guidance form those on here who have trained with a company that is honest and isn’t going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any help.

Oily

Am I correct in saying that if I do the initial cpc mod 2 and mod 4, then I do not need to do 35 hours in a classroom?

Unfortunately being on the South east coast I can only go inland and this restricts my training locations unless I travel. The company i was going to take my training with is in Maidstone (Kent Metro) and as far as I can gather is not a broker. They have told me that I need to do 35 hours in a classroom plus the 3/4 days driving.

I am looking at other providers but they seem to be brokers (HGV Express, LGV Training Co). So I guess I am after some guidance form those on here who have trained with a company that is honest and isn’t going to cost me an arm and a leg.

If you do Mods 2 and 4 then you will still need to complete the 35 hours within a 5 year period. It’s a mistake to always consider that the 35 hours is always in a classroom (though it often is). As mentioned previously, some trainers are able to offer their practical driver training with cpc credits. So you could easily complete your 35 hours whilst completing CAT C followed by CE for instance.

Kent Metro is an established trainer and is not a broker but they have not given you up-to-date info about the cpc. In fairness, the change is relatively new. Someone in your position is able to choose their route ie Mods 2 and 4 or 35 hours.

I would ask them if they can give you cpc credits from the driver training.

HGV Express and LGV Training Co are brokers.

I suggest you book an assessment with Kent Metro (you’ll need to wait for your provisional first) and find at least one other to compare.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that Pete.

That makes things a lot clearer.