"Heavy Haulage through the years"

CNV00017.JPG
This photo was taken in Sellafield (didn’t know at the time that taking photograph’s was prohibited!) Load was part of a crane strip down of JD Whites at the time and as you can see they put 2 10 ton ballast weights and a crane section on top so total load weight would be in the region of 25 ton.
This was in days of 32 tonne weight limit so it was obviously couple of ton over. Stevens didn’t do many of these loads but it seemed a common practice as it meant hiring fewer lorries for each movement.

That’s a solid looking flat you’ve got behind that F88, nice straight side raves on it too.

Spardo:
Thanks Oily, if they are overweight, and I presume they are, and therefore exeptionnel, it definitely lays to rest the discussion we had earlier regarding the old ‘indivisible’ loads rule in the UK (and elsewhere?). There is no way you could not break those ‘little’ bits down into ‘legal’ loads.

I wonder how much those loads weigh and how many vehicle journeys they save as opposed to the old rules. 2 maybe, or 3?

From 2005 when I asked a similar question.

old post:
Innit- Crane ballast - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK
Crane ballast is carried under a special exemption from the DOT, a request must be made each year for a vehicle to operate under a VSE order

A VSE order is a special exemption for vehicles that do not comply with Construction and Use AND STGO regulations

According to the commercial vehicle and regulation dept of the DOT there is no form to fill in for a VSE order, but instead a written submission must be made for why the order should be allowed and exactly what sections of construction and Use regs and STGO regs the vehicle doesnt conform to.

Once a VSE is issued for the vehicle there is no need to notify each load under a VS order, but it still must be notified as per normal STGO criteria

Thanks Rikki, very interesting. :smiley:

Rikki-UK:

Spardo:
Thanks Oily, if they are overweight, and I presume they are, and therefore exeptionnel, it definitely lays to rest the discussion we had earlier regarding the old ‘indivisible’ loads rule in the UK (and elsewhere?). There is no way you could not break those ‘little’ bits down into ‘legal’ loads.

I wonder how much those loads weigh and how many vehicle journeys they save as opposed to the old rules. 2 maybe, or 3?

old post:
Innit- Crane ballast - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK
Crane ballast is carried under a special exemption from the DOT, a request must be made each year for a vehicle to operate under a VSE order

A VSE order is a special exemption for vehicles that do not comply with Construction and Use AND STGO regulations

According to the commercial vehicle and regulation dept of the DOT there is no form to fill in for a VSE order, but instead a written submission must be made for why the order should be allowed and exactly what sections of construction and Use regs and STGO regs the vehicle doesnt conform to.

Once a VSE is issued for the vehicle there is no need to notify each load under a VS order, but it still must be notified as per normal STGO criteria

Thanks Rikki,.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

One from yesteryear nmp, Buzzer.

pv83:
Ta for both your input gents, I just can’t help but thinking that when the View-Line was introduced, the likes of Bewick and such must have thought it came from outer space! I’ll get me coat…

:laughing: :laughing:

jsutherland:

pv83:

jsutherland:
An old ERF from LEP Transport.

LEP Transport was a freight company established in 1910 in London. The company name was derived from the initials of the three founding partners; Longstaff, Ehrenberg and [zb]." More information can be found at COSGB: LEP Transport.

Additional pictures like the following can be found at https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p308518937.

That P in LEP must have been quite a name as it’s blocked here with [zb] Johnny :open_mouth:

[emoji16]. Thanks for pointing this out. The P is for “P o ll ack” (together of course). Am a tad surprised it got treated as an inappropriate word.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Maybe the system was confused with the word pillock Johnny? :wink:

Rikki-UK:

Spardo:

old post:

oiltreader:
Ballast trailers.
Oily

Cheers Oily and Rikki, you’ve beaten me to it :wink:

That same exemption applies to the wagons on the continent, when I was on for VDV a couple of colleagues who’d only do domestic transport, had such a permit too. Saved some transports regarding the shipment from a used crane from the handler to the docks, otherwise it was just like Jshepguis says, two bits of ballast and a boom section. (Cracking pic, reckon Dean’s going to be chuffed to bits! :wink: )

Buzzer:
One from yesteryear nmp, Buzzer.

Ta buzzer! That’s the wagon Johnnie Trotter drove (RIP) for a while, he told me it was under preservation, but I’ve never seen any footage of it in it’s current state…

Cheers, Patrick

Spardo:

DEANB:
Anyone spoke to DIG recently ■■ Hope he is ok as i dont think he has posted for a while.

Yes Dean, he has had computer problems and has had to seek the assistance of a younger person, his daughter, to sort it out but I got an email from him last week and he is ok.

The problems sounded a bit severe so perhaps he isn’t yet back up to full strength with it. :slight_smile:

Thanks “Spardo” glad hes ok ! :wink:

As i recall there were only a couple of Scammell Samsons built ? Therefore there is not much about them.

Click on pages once or twice to read.

DEANB:
As i recall there were only a couple of Scammell Samsons built ? Therefore there is not much about them.

Dean comes up trumps again.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Further to the VSE post, I got message today from someone who used to run Transport - in particular the Ramco pipes from Hartlepool up to Wick- they said the same, to keep the number of truck movements down they got a VSE order- the loads didn’t conform to either C&U or STGO regs- the GVW came out at about 65 tonnes they carried six pipes a load, weight wise taking them over 44 tonnes so not C&U but more than two pieces so not in scope of STGO Cat 2. He says to get the VSE order they needed to get a declaration from the police and the local council that it was in the interest of those on the route to minimise the amount of truck movements- so to clarify - a VSE is only permitted- when the load does not conform to both C&U AND STGO regs

Who would’ve thought a regulatory body would actually set a rule that helped efficiency!

Anyway, speaking of bureaucratic inefficiency, I’ve moved up the ranks a little with the addition of a new trailer with a jeep, so I’m classed as a super load in some states, that means route surveys and other nonsense, my GVW is 63.5tons, which it the same as when I was hauling turnpikes which have zero conditions over than running on a divided highway.

Here it is in all its glory, an all up weight of 56tons, from the factory in North Carolina to Regina, Saskatchewan. I got no special routing instructions, so no diving on and off of back roads like I had to with the combines etc. Everything is hydraulic on the trailer too, so apart from reversing and going up and down hills, it’s an easier job.

From the Nooteboom website…

The first Ballast trailer

In 1984 the largest telescopic crane in the fleet of Van Seumeren was a Liebherr LT1200, an imposing 200-tonne crane. In those days the lifting capacity increased year by year and when the LT1300 – a 300-tonne crane – came on the market, Jan van Seumeren Sr. traded in his LT 1200. With the higher lifting capacity the ballast weight also rose from 40 to 60 tonnes. After extensive consultations between Jan van Seumeren Sr., ■■■■ Nooteboom and the RDW (Dutch Road Administration) the first Ballast trailer was developed: the OBL-78 with a load capacity of 68 tonnes. The 6-axle ballast trailer, pulled by a DAF 8×4 tractor, had important advantages: an impressive load capacity and a permanent exemption so the DAF-Nooteboom combination was permitted to drive on the national roads. However, the biggest advance was that the exemption was granted for a divisible load. This in contrast to regular abnormal transport, where exemptions for heavy weights are usually only granted for indivisible loads.

Not just in the Netherlands

Based on the positive experiences in the Netherlands the ballast trailer was, after some very strong lobbying by Nooteboom and their customers, approved in other European countries too. Belgium, Germany and Great-Britain followed the Dutch example first and in 2004, after years of negotiations, the ballast trailer concept was approved in France too. But the ballast trailer has also found the way to countries such as Denmark, Italy, Poland, Austria, Spain and Switzerland. However, the permitted legal loads are different in every country and that’s why various versions of the ballast trailer have been developed, ranging from four to seven axles. With their current programme of ballast trailers Nooteboom has a solution for every country, adapted to meet the regulations that apply.

Rikki-UK:
Further to the VSE post, I got message today from someone who used to run Transport - in particular the Ramco pipes from Hartlepool up to Wick- they said the same, to keep the number of truck movements down they got a VSE order- the loads didn’t conform to either C&U or STGO regs- the GVW came out at about 65 tonnes they carried six pipes a load, weight wise taking them over 44 tonnes so not C&U but more than two pieces so not in scope of STGO Cat 2. He says to get the VSE order they needed to get a declaration from the police and the local council that it was in the interest of those on the route to minimise the amount of truck movements- so to clarify - a VSE is only permitted- when the load does not conform to both C&U AND STGO regs

Cheers for the extra info Rikki :wink:

jsutherland:

DEANB:

Dean comes up trumps again.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

It’s only the one Johnnie Trotter drove I know about, I just assumed they’ve made just the one■■? Who might know more?

newmercman:
Who would’ve thought a regulatory body would actually set a rule that helped efficiency!

Anyway, speaking of bureaucratic inefficiency, I’ve moved up the ranks a little with the addition of a new trailer with a jeep, so I’m classed as a super load in some states, that means route surveys and other nonsense, my GVW is 63.5tons, which it the same as when I was hauling turnpikes which have zero conditions over than running on a divided highway.

Here it is in all its glory, an all up weight of 56tons, from the factory in North Carolina to Regina, Saskatchewan. I got no special routing instructions, so no diving on and off of back roads like I had to with the combines etc. Everything is hydraulic on the trailer too, so apart from reversing and going up and down hills, it’s an easier job.

Looks sound mate! What make is the trailer? And what is your empty weight now?

I tare at 48940lbs full of fuel. Trailer is an Etnyre Blackhawk, its rated for 55ton in 10’. Supposed to be good trailers and the dealer back up is first rate.