Some more from yesteryear (NMP)

KFW759-vi.jpg

ELeigh1191-vi.jpg

ELeigh1178-vi.jpg

E_Leighdisc1111-vi.jpg

A couple of Faun pictures.

heavy-haulage_Faun-5_20190514.jpg

newmercman:
I’ll agree with you on the Magnum, a very nice lorry to drive, such good vision both forwards and through the mirrors and thanks to the long wheelbase they rode very well, you could throw one around much more than you would think possible looking at one.

The Viewline though, not a chance, I’ve never driven one (thankfully) but if they drive the way they look they must be truly horrible.

I owned a View-Line for 19 years, and still regret parting with it. It’s not the most elegant lorry you could look at but it was absolutely lovely to drive.

Spardo:
I did love those Viewlines, Daddy of the Magnum, very low engine hump, proper mirrors with sound mountings, attached to the doorpost not the door. Like the Magnum this made the door restricted opening and thus the reason for the same climb up behind the wheels. Only problem was the heat of a giant windscreen in strong sunshine and the extreme loss of it in the winter with the standard heaters of the day. Tiny little steering wheel because of excellent power steering. Gawd knows how you’d turn it if the power failed though. :unamused:

Well before its time, fitted with a proper sleeper, heater and aircon, what a winner that could have been. Even so, I was surprised that it lasted such a comparatively little time. Perhaps a weight problem? I remember when the Premium came out, as a manager I was invited to a test track to check it out and asked the bloke, ‘yes it’s very nice but why bother, what’s wrong with the Magnum?’ He whispered confidentially behind his hand, ‘weight problems’. No idea if he was right, but whatever the reason my 2 favourite wagons as a driver.

“Even so, I was surprised that it lasted such a comparatively little time.”

Perhaps the clue was in the price… The View-Line cab was standard on 6x4 tractors during 1968/9, but the Mk.2 cab could be had for a rebate of £150.

In 19 years (admittedly not driving it every day), I only ever had one unbearably hot day, going down the M40 to Beaconsfield and trying to lean out of the window for some air - that was more difficult than on the Mk.2, because the View-Line driving position wasn’t offset from the steering column like the Mk.1 and Mk.2, so the seat was further from the door. That said, it did have big fresh air vents, and a more powerful fan than earlier Atkis.

I did drive mine briefly without power steering, but only bobtail. It was a bit heavy but I managed, but freighted would have been rather more challenging. No different from the Marathon though, which had a very similar steering wheel, perhaps even the same.

4064533570_0c1bd0aff0_b.jpg

pv83:
Those Viewline’s were way ahead of their time, even by today standards they look… erm… a wee bit different, shall we say… :wink: How many survived? As there are enough Borderers on the rally scene, I’ve never seen a Viewline before making it’s appearance on said scene.

Mine was the first View-Line to be fully rebuilt (effectively a new cab), and was rallied a great deal in the 1990s, at both ends of the country, but there are a handful of other survivors still, and which have been rallied.

CZC00117-23.jpg

Brighton.jpg

Atkinson WAN183G May 2017 by Chris Stanley, on Flickr
1970 Atkinson Viewline AMH540H by Martin Smith, on Flickr
Britannia Services Atkinson Viewline - WWT 909G by atkidave, on Flickr
Q575 WDT - 1969 Atkinson Viewline “Venturer” 6 x 4 by Mark Griffiths, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

newmercman:
I’ll agree with you on the Magnum, a very nice lorry to drive, such good vision both forwards and through the mirrors and thanks to the long wheelbase they rode very well, you could throw one around much more than you would think possible looking at one.

The Viewline though, not a chance, I’ve never driven one (thankfully) but if they drive the way they look they must be truly horrible.

I owned a View-Line for 19 years, and still regret parting with it. It’s not the most elegant lorry you could look at but it was absolutely lovely to drive.

If we all agreed on everything the world would be very boring. I’m not a fan of any Atkinson, I’ve never driven one so it’s just an observation, if it’s any consolation I don’t care for most ERFs and Fodens either, nor Guy big Js, Scammells or Seddons. I do like the older Fodens, I even have a picture of one on my mantelpiece and I like the B series onwards ERFs and I have a real soft spot for anything with an Ergomatic cab, prior to the facelift BL versions and the Ford D series is a favourite of mine too.

I did consider buying and restoring an old lorry, my shortlist was a D series 16tonner, an AEC Marshall, both flatbeds, a Merc LP1624 or a 170F35 FIAT pulling a spreadaxle tilt, but now I’m in Canada I get the best of both worlds, a classic truck with modern oily bits and I drive it most days in an effort to make a bob or two.

This is the Foden picture I have, it’s one my Dad used to drive.

An old ERF from LEP Transport.

LEP Transport was a freight company established in 1910 in London. The company name was derived from the initials of the three founding partners; Longstaff, Ehrenberg and ■■■■■■■■■ More information can be found at COSGB: LEP Transport.

Additional pictures like the following can be found at https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p308518937.

heavy-haulage_Morris_LEP_Transport-ERF-20190711.jpg

Saw this yesterday on the A55 heading towards Marseille. Seems like a helluva lot of axles for such a short trailer, and I couldn’t see the join if it was a trombone. :confused:

The sign on the back says ‘Ce Vehicle se Deporte’ which, for those of you without French, says it is a rear steerer. :slight_smile:

I should think it does, otherwise can you imagine the wheel studs popping in a tight spot? :open_mouth: :laughing:

Click twice for a better look. :wink:

Anyone spoke to DIG recently ■■ Hope he is ok as i dont think he has posted for a while.

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
Anyone spoke to DIG recently ■■ Hope he is ok as i dont think he has posted for a while.

Yes Dean, he has had computer problems and has had to seek the assistance of a younger person, his daughter, to sort it out but I got an email from him last week and he is ok.

The problems sounded a bit severe so perhaps he isn’t yet back up to full strength with it. :slight_smile:

newmercman:

240 Gardner:

newmercman:

If we all agreed on everything the world would be very boring. I’m not a fan of any Atkinson, I’ve never driven one so it’s just an observation, if it’s any consolation I don’t care for most ERFs and Fodens either, nor Guy big Js, Scammells or Seddons. I do like the older Fodens, I even have a picture of one on my mantelpiece and I like the B series onwards ERFs and I have a real soft spot for anything with an Ergomatic cab, prior to the facelift BL versions and the Ford D series is a favourite of mine too.

I did consider buying and restoring an old lorry, my shortlist was a D series 16tonner, an AEC Marshall, both flatbeds, a Merc LP1624 or a 170F35 FIAT pulling a spreadaxle tilt, but now I’m in Canada I get the best of both worlds, a classic truck with modern oily bits and I drive it most days in an effort to make a bob or two.

This is the Foden picture I have, it’s one my Dad used to drive.

Ta for both your input gents, I just can’t help but thinking that when the View-Line was introduced, the likes of Bewick and such must have thought it came from outer space! I’ll get me coat…

jsutherland:

LEP Transport was a freight company established in 1910 in London. The company name was derived from the initials of the three founding partners; Longstaff, Ehrenberg and [zb]." More information can be found at COSGB: LEP Transport.

Additional pictures like the following can be found at https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p308518937.

That P in LEP must have been quite a name as it’s blocked here with ■■■■ Johnny :open_mouth:

Spardo:
Saw this yesterday on the A55 heading towards Marseille. Seems like a helluva lot of axles for such a short trailer, and I couldn’t see the join if it was a trombone. :confused:

The sign on the back says ‘Ce Vehicle se Deporte’ which, for those of you without French, says it is a rear steerer. :slight_smile:

I should think it does, otherwise can you imagine the wheel studs popping in a tight spot? :open_mouth: :laughing:

Click twice for a better look. :wink:

That’s a ballast trailer Spardo, solely designed to get the ballast from those bigger cranes from one place to another, you can buy them in all sizes, the smallest having 4 axles.

There’s quite a interesting story behind it, as it was Dutch Van Seumeren that came up with the idea and together with Nooteboom they’ve created what is now known as the ballast trailer. I’ll put some more info and details on here if anyone is interested. It’s got to wait until I’m back home though…

Spardo:

DEANB:

Yes Dean, he has had computer problems and has had to seek the assistance of a younger person, his daughter, to sort it out but I got an email from him last week and he is ok.

The problems sounded a bit severe so perhaps he isn’t yet back up to full strength with it. :slight_smile:

He mentioned he and the cook were taking their campervan up North too… so it might be a bit quiet for a couple of weeks at the “Down Under” department :wink:

pv83:

Spardo:

DEANB:

He mentioned he and the cook were taking their campervan up North too… so it might be a bit quiet for a couple of weeks at the “Down Under” department :wink:

Oh yes, he did, you’re right, but I thought that it was not just yet though. Must have got fed up with the computer and set off early. Also it was starting to get a bit chilly down where he lives, he even thought there might be a frost one night :unamused: :laughing:

Thanks for the info on the trailer, it did cross my mind, seeing all those lumps on the back, but I didn’t realise that they would miss the chance to have a ‘normal’ trailer available for other things between moves. I suppose all those wheels must steer then?

pv83:

jsutherland:

LEP Transport was a freight company established in 1910 in London. The company name was derived from the initials of the three founding partners; Longstaff, Ehrenberg and [zb]." More information can be found at COSGB: LEP Transport.

That P in LEP must have been quite a name as it’s blocked here with [zb] Johnny :open_mouth:

[emoji16]. Thanks for pointing this out. The P is for “P o ll ack” (together of course). Am a tad surprised it got treated as an inappropriate word.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Johnny

Ballast trailers.
Oily

Heavy Haul STGO Richard 33927433548_3b5aac836c_ RS k.jpg

STGO Len Rogers 12619370793_1cffa7f7e8_LR k.jpg

Heavy Haul Alexandre Prevot 40060884383_34f0a99950 ap _k.jpg

Heavy Haul  Ballast (104).jpg

Thanks Oily, if they are overweight, and I presume they are, and therefore exeptionnel, it definitely lays to rest the discussion we had earlier regarding the old ‘indivisible’ loads rule in the UK (and elsewhere?). There is no way you could not break those ‘little’ bits down into ‘legal’ loads.

I wonder how much those loads weigh and how many vehicle journeys they save as opposed to the old rules. 2 maybe, or 3?

I often wondered how they got away with that too, I used to cart crane ballast around myself, tower cranes, not mobile cranes though, 9ton blocks, we used to carry three if it was a short move and put a sheet over them as they had 9ton painted on the side of them in red paint!

I think the way they get away with it is because the ballast blocks are from one crane? We have a work around in some states over here too, if disassembling something to reduce its height, weight or width will take longer than 8hrs, we can move it as one piece, it’s mainly for dozer blades and similar, but I suppose ballast blocks would work too.