Innit- Crane ballast

Please refresh my memory

the special order allowing Crane ballast to be carried up to 100 tonne and multiple peices

I think it is a VS … something order but my senile brain cant remember :unamused: :unamused: Do you know off hand ?

rik its a VR1 …VS never heard of that one…to be truthful i aint got any idea on the crane side of it , :confused: ,but thinking about it should be the same as any cat order wether mulitple or not … i gave up the ballast side of it i,ll ask the ballast drivers tommorow, 3 of us are just taking the scrap sign away,the craneage is subbed to another company

rik its a VR1

VR1 is for wide loads exceeding the STGO
Width exceeding 5.0 metres (16’5") up to 6.1metres (20’)
Action required: Highways Agency (10 days notice) form VR1 plus 2 clear days notice to Police.

I am pretty sure it is VS… something but cannot find the particular order

JJ72 will probably know… will send him a PM

JJ Thinks it is a VS order as well…

However … the DOT and VOSA also think it is a VS order, but both admit that VS orders only allow for indivisible loads, upto 150 tonnes under STGO CAT 3 and therefore crane ballast cannot be carried under a VS order!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have a guy at VOSA looking into it, he is sure that there is a STGO order specifically for crane ballast up to a max vehicle weight of 100 tonnes

but he is equally sure that no-one actually uses it and they just for sake of ease chuck the notification in as a VS :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

will let you know the outcome :bulb:

VOSA rang back and admitted he couldnt find any regulations that allow Crane ballast to be carried under a VS order.

He suggested I ring a contact at Ainscough Crane Hire

This very nice man at Ainscough has finally got me going down the right track !!

Crane ballast is carried under a special exemption from the DOT, a request must be made each year for a vehicle to operate under a VSE order

A VSE order is a special exemption for vehicles that do not comply with Construction and Use AND STGO regulations

According to the commercial vehicle and regulation dept of the DOT there is no form to fill in for a VSE order, but instead a written submission must be made for why the order should be allowed and exactly what sections of construction and Use regs and STGO regs the vehicle doesnt conform to.

Once a VSE is issued for the vehicle there is no need to notify each load under a VS order, but it still must be notified as per normal STGO criteria

Clear as mud aint it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

In most Country is overweight just allowed if you can’t count the load.
I know a Cranedriver from Germany who has alway’s Three Artics with Parts around him.

well stuff me with a barge pole :open_mouth: you learn something new everyday
well done that man.