"Heavy Haulage through the years"

newmercman:
I tare at 48940lbs full of fuel. Trailer is an Etnyre Blackhawk, its rated for 55ton in 10’. Supposed to be good trailers and the dealer back up is first rate.

That’s just over 22t isn’t it■■? That’s “featherlight” for such a combo mate!

Back on page 82 posted some pics and an article about Wrekins Contractor. Found this advert recently.

Something a bit different.

Cline shuttle wagon.

Click on pages twice to read.

pv83:

jsutherland:

DEANB:
As i recall there were only a couple of Scammell Samsons built ? Therefore there is not much about them.

It’s only the one Johnnie Trotter drove I know about, I just assumed they’ve made just the one■■? Who might know more?

Just the one.

Here’s a photo that Johnnie posted:

Scammell Samson by sammyopisite, on Flickr

And his text:

“That was Eric’s wagon new and I did a fair bit of double manning and relief driving on it when it first came as it was several months late and then went back to have a higher ratio back end and an extra fuel tank fitted as it came with 2 x 25 gallon tanks like what was fitted to the trunkers and being thirsty you needed to fuel up twice a day”

Click on this one for lots of info on its history:

Scammell Samson by Dave Stretton, on Flickr

Here it is in later life:

SCAMMELL 1970 SAMSON (1 of 1) 011 by axisboldaslove1, on Flickr

Took this one about 30 odd years ago at The Great Dorset Steam Fair.

Click on pic twice.

Kings Heavy Haulage.

Click on pages once / twice to read.

A00189.JPG

A00190.JPG

P2180063p.JPG

DEANB:
Something a bit different.

Cline shuttle wagon.

Click on pages twice to read.

4Whatever

Interesting indeed Dean, cheers :wink: Just found a typo in the brochure though… says it’s fitted with a Detroit Deisel…? It’s alternative brother to the diesel version or what? :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:

If he’s not wider than 3m a ■■■■■■ isn’t needed Spardo, he’s just using the CAT1 routes, because he’s banned from using the motorways during the holiday season.

240 Gardner:

pv83:

jsutherland:

DEANB:
As i recall there were only a couple of Scammell Samsons built ? Therefore there is not much about them.

It’s only the one Johnnie Trotter drove I know about, I just assumed they’ve made just the one■■? Who might know more?

Just the one.

Here’s a photo that Johnnie posted:

Scammell Samson by sammyopisite, on Flickr

And his text:

“That was Eric’s wagon new and I did a fair bit of double manning and relief driving on it when it first came as it was several months late and then went back to have a higher ratio back end and an extra fuel tank fitted as it came with 2 x 25 gallon tanks like what was fitted to the trunkers and being thirsty you needed to fuel up twice a day”

Click on this one for lots of info on its history:

Scammell Samson by Dave Stretton, on Flickr

Here it is in later life:

SCAMMELL 1970 SAMSON (1 of 1) 011 by axisboldaslove1, on Flickr

Cheers Gardner 240 :wink:

DEANB:
Took this one about 30 odd years ago at The Great Dorset Steam Fair.

Click on pic twice.

Quite the pair eh Dean :laughing:

Old shoe box time… (nmp)

photo49-vi.jpg

photo67-vi.jpg

A Scammell Amazon, a reinforced Crusader, does anyone know how much of these left Tolpit’s lane?

John Golding had a various fleet over the years… (nmp)

One for Spardo :wink:

G.C.S. Johnson (nmp)

pv83:

Spardo:

If he’s not wider than 3m a ■■■■■■ isn’t needed Spardo, he’s just using the CAT1 routes, because he’s banned from using the motorways during the holiday season.

To be honest I thought he’d be banned from the a/routes all the time, Patrick, but my comment was really a practical one rather than legal. I saw him as I was entering the Agen road following that curtainsider and, as it is a route I have rarely travelled, and certainly not for a long time, it was when I was struggling to keep up with the wagon in front (80 km/h, me a little angel and he on the limiter :unamused: ) that the thought occurred it must have been difficult for him with or without an ■■■■■■.

Thanks for the Golding Magnum btw, I never saw that one but often used to see the Petes he had. :smiley: Can you just imagine that but with the extended Pete cab? :laughing: What a winner that would have been, Mack underneath I assume, or would that be later?

pv83:
A Scammell Amazon, a reinforced Crusader, does anyone know how much of these left Tolpit’s lane?

Some nice old pics there Patrick.

As far as i know there is a Scammell group that you may get the info from regarding how many Amazons were built. They used to produce a
small journal which i think was monthly ? I have one somewhere but cant find it ? :unamused: If i do i will send you the contact details. :wink: