Health and Safety excuses - My latest

…Or rather not mine, but that of a contract I am fulfilling for the next two weeks for a major supplier of magazines.

It’s as tedious as it comes, hour trips between 2 nearby towns, 3 times a day. For whatever reason, whilst loading/unloading you cannot be in your cab, now whenever this is laid down as policy it instantly boils my ■■■■, as out of all the places I would like to be whilst at work, the cab obviously comes number one. The cab is also, technically the safest place to be when forklifts are working nearby. I have made my peace with surrendering keys, take them! But don’t order me out of the cab for hours in the name of your health and safety policy. Especially if I just have to stand outside the cab and wander around aimlessly. Today I spent 4-5 hours on my feet reading just outside the cab with the door open, hours that could have been spent comfortably sat in a fine Daf XF chair.

I arrived on site to be greeted with “you know you can’t be out here” before they even say hello. So we are off to a good start. I explain I am just undoing the curtains and was planning on dropping the trailer and buggering off with the unit if that would suit them. This is what I did on Friday, as there is a 7 hour gap between being unloading and getting loaded again, on a Friday. It went down fine last week.

Every other day of the week is a 3 hour gap, which is still long enough in my book to drop the trailer and bugger off round the corner to catch some zzzz. He says that is ok, but he is concerned about the weight, as today will be heavier than Friday. I explain I would like to go and locate some dinner etc, but he says its walkable distance and the “regular” driver normally just sits in the canteen (read: like a good little boy).

My mind is saying things that my mouth cannot possibly follow up, and so I entertain his nonsense for a minute or two.

“We don’t want to tip the trailer up on end, what with all the weight at the front and no unit attached, we’ve had it happen before”

A quick check of the landing legs tells me they will withstand 80 tonnes static, which is a smidge beyond the max payload to say the least. In my opinion, and without figures to hand, I would say it would take a great deal of weight placed ahead of the landing legs in order to get the trailer to pivot about them and lift the wheels in the air. And certainly, a complete muppet of a forklift driver to load in such a way as to not balance out the weight on the lorry bed as he goes.

Being the cynical sort, I accepted his comments, and read them as “if you don’t play the game the way we want, we will tip your trailer over, and then blame you”. So for an easy life, I walked for food, and then sat in the canteen for 2.5 hours bored out of my mind and working on a cracking headache from the tinted windows and fluorescent lights combo.

I’m not sure how the rest of the transport world copes, loading heavy loads on trailers without a unit attached. I imagine it gets very expensive having a unit attached to every trailer so as to prevent the danger of tipping.

Good people of trucknet, your thoughts on the above comments?

I may consider telling him where to go forth tomorrow, as I get a little tired standing on my feet for that amount of time, and then still driving between times. Of course, the recreational times spent reading is recorded as rest, but it is hardly restful, being forced to stand around like an idiot, as if facing some health and safety firing squad at dawn.

I wouldn’t like to load the tiny trailers like tesco and the like have, without a unit attatched.

They’re around 50/50 either side of the legs, need the room at front to stop legs ■■■■■■■■ unit, but there’s not much length behind the legs.

Other than that, it’d be fine. They’re most likely fine, I just wouldn’t want to test it.

I’d like to know how staying in your cab whilst loading contravenes any elf 'n safety rules? These clowns make it up as they go, shouldn’t give them air to breath!

I was watching Tradeteam loading unhooked trailers the other day - 26 800 kilo pallets of wine and beer, two at a time.

The first two pallets went at the rear of the trailer to hold it down while they loaded the front. Whe he was half way he just moved them into position.

Tipping traiers forward is always a risk and some companies have props to stop it. When I did chilled they nearly always had a unit in place, or a stack of pallets.

WildGoose:
…Or rather not mine, but that of a contract I am fulfilling for the next two weeks for a major supplier of magazines.

It’s as tedious as it comes, hour trips between 2 nearby towns, 3 times a day. For whatever reason, whilst loading/unloading you cannot be in your cab, now whenever this is laid down as policy it instantly boils my ■■■■, as out of all the places I would like to be whilst at work, the cab obviously comes number one. The cab is also, technically the safest place to be when forklifts are working nearby. I have made my peace with surrendering keys, take them! But don’t order me out of the cab for hours in the name of your health and safety policy. Especially if I just have to stand outside the cab and wander around aimlessly. Today I spent 4-5 hours on my feet reading just outside the cab with the door open, hours that could have been spent comfortably sat in a fine Daf XF chair.

I arrived on site to be greeted with “you know you can’t be out here” before they even say hello. So we are off to a good start. I explain I am just undoing the curtains and was planning on dropping the trailer and buggering off with the unit if that would suit them. This is what I did on Friday, as there is a 7 hour gap between being unloading and getting loaded again, on a Friday. It went down fine last week.

Every other day of the week is a 3 hour gap, which is still long enough in my book to drop the trailer and bugger off round the corner to catch some zzzz. He says that is ok, but he is concerned about the weight, as today will be heavier than Friday. I explain I would like to go and locate some dinner etc, but he says its walkable distance and the “regular” driver normally just sits in the canteen (read: like a good little boy).

My mind is saying things that my mouth cannot possibly follow up, and so I entertain his nonsense for a minute or two.

“We don’t want to tip the trailer up on end, what with all the weight at the front and no unit attached, we’ve had it happen before”

A quick check of the landing legs tells me they will withstand 80 tonnes static, which is a smidge beyond the max payload to say the least. In my opinion, and without figures to hand, I would say it would take a great deal of weight placed ahead of the landing legs in order to get the trailer to pivot about them and lift the wheels in the air. And certainly, a complete muppet of a forklift driver to load in such a way as to not balance out the weight on the lorry bed as he goes.

Being the cynical sort, I accepted his comments, and read them as “if you don’t play the game the way we want, we will tip your trailer over, and then blame you”. So for an easy life, I walked for food, and then sat in the canteen for 2.5 hours bored out of my mind and working on a cracking headache from the tinted windows and fluorescent lights combo.

I’m not sure how the rest of the transport world copes, loading heavy loads on trailers without a unit attached. I imagine it gets very expensive having a unit attached to every trailer so as to prevent the danger of tipping.

I may consider telling him where to go forth tomorrow, as I get a little tired standing on my feet for that amount of time, and then still driving between times. Of course, the recreational times spent reading is recorded as rest, but it is hardly restful, being forced to stand around like an idiot, as if facing some health and safety firing squad at dawn.

WildGoose:

Sorry bout previous post getting old minds going pressed submit before writing message.
post.
Im surprised this com being so h&s concious dosnt have any trestles to put under ,trl to prevent it tipping.
regards dave

WildGoose:
‘…good people of trucknet, your thoughts on the above comments…?’

I often muse that the worse thing that I could do when wasting away in a cab is to inadvertantly knock the handbrake off.

Be sure to turn your lights off in case they dazzle or vaguely help them.

Finally, since they have so much to be proud of, is it worth asking to read their Risk Assessments during the long waits - on the off chance that they have been arsed to write them down?

There is usually a sticker somewhere on the trailer saying at what point the trailer will tip forward. That plate on the legs is what they can take, not at what point the trailer will tip over. They’re quite right to say they can’t load it if it’s on its own. Why not suggest you drop it and sit pallets under it or pull forward a foot and leave your suspension low so you’re not in contact yet if it tilts the unit will stop it.

I had a good one today. i was delivering to a DIY store.Never beeen to this one before so i drove up to the gate, rang the bell, then looked into the yard. It looked as though i needed to reverse in, so I spun around and waited for the back gates to open. the FL driver told me “you can’t reverse in, health & safety won’t allow it” i asked if there was room to turn around and was told yes. I said as I’m already turned around, couldn’t i reverse in this time? No H&S won’t allow it!, why I asked, Because its too far to reverse! about 50 yards along a lane as wide as a trailer and a half? too far? i asked, if thats too far, i shouldn’t be driving these things.
I turned around, drove in, turned in a yard cluttered with pallets, trolleys, skips etc, people walking about, and just enough room to get round without taking out the fence or ripping my lines off. i was then told to drive out of the yard, and park just inside the roadway! I still ended up in exactly the same place as i would have been had i reversed in.
H & S muppets!

Thanks for the replies…

I often muse that the worse thing that I could do when wasting away in a cab is to inadvertantly knock the handbrake off.

Be sure to turn your lights off in case they dazzle or vaguely help them.

Finally, since they have so much to be proud of, is it worth asking to read their Risk Assessments during the long waits - on the off chance that they have been arsed to write them down?

Thats the only danger I could think of, and in the XF105 the handbrake is on the dash, so you would have to take it off on purpose, there is no way to do it by accident.

They have huge health and safety boards dotted around, with more documents and commitee meeting minutes than you could shake a stick it. It strikes me at what a massive consumption of time this huge HSE thing has become in recent years. I understand a lot of it is beneficial but plenty is a bridge too far a lot of the time.

There is usually a sticker somewhere on the trailer saying at what point the trailer will tip forward. That plate on the legs is what they can take, not at what point the trailer will tip over. They’re quite right to say they can’t load it if it’s on its own. Why not suggest you drop it and sit pallets under it or pull forward a foot and leave your suspension low so you’re not in contact yet if it tilts the unit will stop it.

The pallets under the front sounds like a good solid common sense idea. But you cannot explain anything to these people, if you get too wordy, they simply hold their hands up palms facing you, in a kind of “jobs worth” way. Your opinions will not penetrate, in their eyes what do you know, you are just a monkey driving a wagon full of peanuts or something. The other night they were short of a forklift driver to unload me. I offered my services, as I have current reach and counterbalance licences, engine and electric, but no I couldn’t possibly do that it wouldn’t be proper, i’m not authorised, so instead I had to wait for a further hour and a half while they phone round to bring one in.

Tonight I just dropped the trailer and buggered off before anyone had a chance to say anything. I got my head down for a bit a few streets away, as I was getting a bit tired from all the enforced standing up for hours on end earlier in the day. I came back 30 mins before I was booked to leave, and the trailer was mostly loaded. Had a bit of a flex going on the front, but seemed ok for the most part.

(I recorded nearly 6 hours break on this 12 hour shift, most of it stood on my feet, I can’t see how that is restful. It’s legitimate break, as once I pull the curtains,I have nothing to do but wait around, but on their terms rather than mine).

The problem is the rules are faceless, enforced by the workers who fear for their jobs but without any real reason “why”. Apart from the fact of if there is a breach or accident, it will be them in the firing line.

I subscribe to taking reponsibility for your actions and the injury, harm or loss common law theory. I do not agree with pre-empting to the lowest common denominator as health and safety does or pre-crime, but it matters not what I think, at the bottom of all this is a wealthy insurance man and he has the final say.

I turned around, drove in, turned in a yard cluttered with pallets, trolleys, skips etc, people walking about, and just enough room to get round without taking out the fence or ripping my lines off. i was then told to drive out of the yard, and park just inside the roadway! I still ended up in exactly the same place as i would have been had i reversed in.
H & S muppets!

This is what I mean. Invent enough H+S Policy and it removes the onus on the employees ability to think, and when we all stop doing that, that is the most dangerous situation of all in my opinion.

I’d be tempted to take four cones, a folding chair and a table, together with a cooler full of cold drinks and a good book. Then I would set it all up on the shady side of the truck with the cones arranged round me and relax. A parasol would make it perfect.

The best comment was to ask to see the risk assessment, after all if an action is deemed to have hazards attached and control measures have to be put into place, then you should be aware of what they are. That was as quoted by an Institute of Operational Safety and Health instructor on a course done years ago. I would lay money though that none of this has been done, just some clown trying to make a name for him/herself .

bigdennis:
‘…The best comment was to ask to see the risk assessment, after all if an action is deemed to have hazards attached and control measures have to be put into place, then you should be aware of what they are. That was as quoted by an Institute of Operational Safety and Health instructor on a course done years ago. I would lay money though that none of this has been done, just some clown trying to make a name for him/herself …’

Fully agreed - with bottlenecks of poor communication within middling/piddling management, each of them covering their shiny trousered & miserable lives often due to over-promotion in a job beyond their capability.

Who hasn’t noticed differences of standards within different warehouses on the same company site?? :neutral_face: