Health and safety gone mad

on friday i had to deliver a 20f reefer container to christain salvesen in nuneaton. pulled into the yard with hi viz vest on and haz light flashing. told to put truck onto bay 4 and then drop my trailer. i told them that this was not possible because the trailer say not to drop trailer in the closed up loading/unloading position.so i was then told in that case i was to hand in keys and vacate the cab which i was not happy about since it was a 3 hr tip and i had been up since 5 and wanted to sleep.i offer to put the deadman lock on but that was not good enough so i had to spend 3 hrs in a canteen with only a coffee machine for company .hence to say i will not be going there with a 20f again.if i had a 40f i could have just dropped the trailer and stayed in the cab. has anyone else had a experience of health and safety gone mad .

There are hundreds of tales like these on trucknet :stuck_out_tongue:

Its absolutely mad, some jumped up jobsworth trying to justify his job, what may seem like a good idea to one company man, may be dangerous to others,

Health and Safety must apply to everyone even the driver, so if you are tired when you leave the customer, how is that safe?

We have to refuse to obey stupid rules and point out the law to everyone, make a stink. They cannot ban everyone off site :smiley:

what a crazy situation, you hand your keys over to someone, no doubt not qualified to be in charge of that vehicle whilst they unload the trailer that your 100% responsible for!
i think your right the countries gone mad.

Tell them to EFF OFF!

Wheel Nut:
We have to refuse to obey stupid rules and point out the law to everyone, make a stink. They cannot ban everyone off site :smiley:

I agree with that 100%, trouble is they don’t have to ban everybody, just you or me perhaps. Then we’ve got a different battle on our hands - with the guvnor.

Salut, David.

wouldnt have done it…

but after reading the other threads about tesco at purfleet when i handed my notes in upstairs there i did wonder why the the room with the coffee machine was so full but didn t think anything of it and just went and sat in my cab :confused: :confused: :confused:

I tip regularly at Nuneaton and that new rule has only just started.I thought that they was taking the michael when they said drop the trailer AND park over the other side of the yard AND hand your keys in,plus they put a suzie lock on as well.All Salveson sites are going to be the same soon.Even the warehouseman said it was a load of crap!

jase:
I tip regularly at Nuneaton and that new rule has only just started.I thought that they was taking the michael when they said drop the trailer AND park over the other side of the yard AND hand your keys in,plus they put a suzie lock on as well.All Salveson sites are going to be the same soon.Even the warehouseman said it was a load of crap!

Not been there for several months, now i’m not doing fridge work, but they allways had your keys and got you to sit in the canteen, but what you’ve described above is pure lunacy, may be they should get you to drop your trailer at the gate and the problem of your being on site is solved :unamused:
They had the head of the H S E on five live couple of weeks ago, and he was saying to many people go over the top with “h & s”, your only meant to recognise risk and evaluate simple solutions that are not over invasive on the activity concerned, these people that make endless forms and regulations are way over the top, seriouly covering their back’s :wink:

I tipped at Kays in Droitwich yesterday, the plan is, you get there and drive in without blocking the gate :exclamation:

I was given a bay number and told to drop my trailer, I backed on to bay 41 and before I got out of the cab, I felt the ramp go down, within minutes an electric ride on pallet truck was in the trailer, I walked around trying to give my notes to someone, by the time I found someone who said I should have put the notes in the trailer, the green light was showing, I checked the ramp was lifted and pulled off back to security.

He waved at me and let me go, I stopped and asked for a signature, We dont sign notes drive, :exclamation:

I dont leave without notes signed secure :exclamation:

Than you will have to go back and see the bloke who tipped you.

I then had to reverse across the yard to park up and the security man took my notes, 10 minutes later he brought my notes back with an infants scribble on them.

Health and Stupidity :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure that Rob has aired his views on this very thorny subject in the past.

Ken.