Going to poland

i got back this week after going to poland, so i thought i would share my info in case anyone else has to go there.

as with most of the eastern block, dipped headlighs must be on at all times.

the border at cesky tesin (cz) does not accept fuel cards(im sure when i came down from latvia the border there did but i can quite remember to be honest) and so you will have to exchange euros for some zlotties (spelling??!!), think a weeks worth is about 25 euros, pointless getting it by the day to be honest due to cost. once you have brought your tax at the border, stick it in the bottom right hand side of the window, you get a paper slip with it, ENSURE YOUR REG. NO. IS PUT ON THE PAPER!, big fine if your stopped and you have not, this paper is used if you arrive at a paege to show you have brought tax, so you dont get charged again.

currently the route from here to katowice is being developed into motorway, there is about 5 minutes of driving on nice new tarmac until you have to come off, and from there its bad roads and roadworks all the way to katowice.

i exited via the e40/a4, which goes from katowice to wroclaw across to gorlitz. this is new motorway until about 60kms from the border where it becomes single lane through small towns and villages. once off the motorway and heading for the border there are a few garages to get diesel, unlike on the motorway, where i saw 2 (and the 1 i stopped in was stupidly tight and i could only fill 1 tank)

i hope this is of some help if anyone has to head to poland for any reason

euromat:
think a weeks worth is about 25 euros, pointless getting it by the day to be honest due to cost.

and if for some reason your tax runs out, the only place to buy it, except the border, are the post offices, few and far between and never with a place to stop an lgv.

Hint. Go to Krakow.

I was “stationed” there when I was over there working for Tesco. Hot women by the bucket load.

Which is nice.

Sockpuppet:
Hot women by the bucket load.

Which is nice.

they are in abundance everywhere, esp at heavy metal gigs, painted ladies, superb!

i cant wait to get there!

Yes, I like Poland. Roads aren’t too clever though and many are heavily rutted. On Single Carriageways, there is a kind of hard shoulder, onto which you are meant to move if something wants to overtake. Provided the cars coming the other way do the same, it’s a safe manouevre but all to often they don’t.

Diesel comes from the black pump marked “ON” which stands for “Olea Naptha” (sp?)

It’s worth taking a language guide for ordering food in reastaurants or you end up getting a boiled pig’s head or somesuch.