Poland - Advice urgently required please!

Has anyone done Poland and know what the score is??

Heres a few questions:

Can I refuel on DKV
Are there any taxes to pay on entry or exit
Are there any fuel restrictions
Any driving bans / restrictions
Anywhere to avoid for security reasons

And anything else you can think of!!

Not done it recently since the borders were relaxed so you may be better checking this link that Brit Pete and Simon posted. You will need to buy a Vignette.

Polish Government Transport Info

You can fuel up everywhere on DKV, you need to buy a Vignette from the office marked “VINETY” at the border, it’s 13 euros for a day or 25 for a week, put one bit in your windscreen and keep the other for inspection if required, I don’t think you can drive on sunday but I’m not 100% sure, there are no limits on fuel, the German Customs are quite keen on cigarette smugglers when you leave Poland, roads are OK but a bit rutted, parking is plentiful and only the usual rules about parking sensibly really apply.

headlights on at all times also. they are very keen on that.

Good info, thanks a lot to everyone.

Anyone fancy a jar of gherkins?

Hombre:
Good info, thanks a lot to everyone.

Anyone fancy a jar of gherkins?

No thanks,got pleanty in Eroski at Velez Malaga last week

Some truckstops have menus written in German and English as well as Polish but many places don’t and menus are undecipherable, apart from “bifstek” and “escalop” , so when I last went I printed a page of menu translations which I found on the net. Poles tend to eat some things which are not really suited to the British palate, to put it politely and it saved me some trouble.

I have to agree with Harry regards food, the wifes mother would often come out of the kitchen with strange dishs on our visits. I have to say most of the stuff at service stations is pretty good in my opinion, very tasty stuff and cheap. Soups are thin soups, with noddles, Zurek is a good soup to look for, has meat in and a boiled egg!!! The meat dishes are all good, but its stuff like sauage meat wrapped in cabbage and so on, its a presentation problem to overcome. Polish coffee is very good, think filter coffee without the filter paper being used and your nearly there, don’t drink to the bottom of the cup is a good tip.

I think most supermakets in the UK have Polish food, so you can practise before you go :smiley:

Andy

the sunday driving ban applies during summer only, there are individual holiday bans though, they are posted on the borders, should be somewhere on the net also. there are also fuel restrictions, illegal ones in fact, but they only apply when entering poland from ukraine and belarus, 200l max.

try to avoid the fried chicken, might be more than a few days old at some places…

Not been for 8yrs,do they still weigh the food in restaurants to work out what the cost is?

dafdave:
Not been for 8yrs,do they still weigh the food in restaurants to work out what the cost is?

Lol, no! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It doesn’t take an hour to find a telephone exchange and then another hour to set up a phone call to London any more either!

drew128:
don’t drink to the bottom of the cup is a good tip.

We all do it once, don’t we? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Harry Monk:

drew128:
don’t drink to the bottom of the cup is a good tip.

We all do it once, don’t we? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes harry we all do but only once.Thx for info on previous post.

Dave.

there are a few peages on the motorways now , when you get to the peage show them your polish road tax and the toll is free . look out for a SKLEP on the side of the road , these are mini supermarket type shops , dirt cheap but some only accept cash . the odd railway crossing on nationals dont have barriers but a stop sign . make sure you stop even if nothing coming .

Do not forget your snowchains, as you will require them if the weather
gets bad, They are not laid down by LAW but it also states if the weather
requires their use. then you must have them with you,
which means they will fine you if you do not have any and they are needed,
plus you will have to buy a pair which will cost you more money.
LIGHTS on all the time ,also you can fill up your tanks ,if the price
less than Germany,Do not bring out more than 1X200 ciggies if caught
the fine is not worth the hassel,as said else where the vingette allows you to use
the motorway with out paying again ,when you produce it at the tollbooth,

Where are you going in Poland, Hombre, do you know yet?

you also need to carry 28 days of tachos on you i think, one of our guys got fined about 300 euros a month or so ago for not having enough, their police are the most up to date that i know of for digi tacho machinery/laws

i did a thread a while ago on poland, will try and get a link, whn you get your tax make sure you write your reg on the counterpart, big fine if you dont!

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ght=poland

here you go, hope its some help