Getting started

Ok I’ve had a good mooch on here and can’t find an answer so I thought I’d start a new topic.
So I’m 35 years old and I’m looking to get into the truck world, that’s when the problems start. I have no driving experience because I cycle everywhere(I’m on crap money). I’ve been in my current job as a cleaning supervisor for over three years now and as you can imagine it’s pretty boring and it’s very high on the list of dead end jobs. I can’t even get an interview for van driving. so before I set fire to 1200 quid I’d like to know what you folks think? I have all my fork lift licences but no one will give me a chance on those either 2 years (company) 6 months (agency) is the experience they require. All comments welcome.

With that list you need to look at.
Why no-one wants you.
What work is available in your area
And why driving ie what you can bring to any job.
As you say you don’t drive, is that by choice.

Apply to agencies for van work. Don’t get fobbed off with this “two years experience” nonsense. I’m 24 and been driving trucks for about 7 months so at 35 you should have no trouble getting something.

The no driving is a choice my car wasn’t that fantastic and come m.o.t time it sank fast so I binned it. I’ve tried making prospecting calls to a number of companies both small and large but they all said the same, that without any commercial driving experience they wouldn’t be able to offer me anything. Can anyone on here advise me of any agencies in Birmingham for van work.? And is it worth doing a cpc to improve my chances of van work?

When was the last time you drove a vehicle?

I notice from your post that you are a cyclist. Don’t expect too much from this place lol.

I drove a vehichle about 7 months ago. I do really enjoy driving but it’s far to expensive and I’d rather put my money elsewhere. I’ve never been able to get a driving job, I’ve no restrictions or points. It’s not like I’m putting them off in the interview either because I’m just not getting one.
And cyclists yeah I can agree there are some proper knobs out there, I like to think I’m not one of them, but that’s just me.
What’s the best way to approach companies when you’re coming from an unrelated industry?

I recently changed from the telecoms world to the truck world. Luckily got a redundancy which just about covered my class 2 course and then I just phoned and emailed every company I could think of. Ended up with agency for a monther before landing a number doing biomass blower/tipper work for nmw but just have to keep telling myself its only short term while I get experience on my CV.

Persevere and don’t take knock backs personally (easier said than done but nothing worth having comes easy)

Thanks yeah I think I’ll have to just get stuck in and see what happens. It does seem like there are some happy endings on here. Thanks all my motivation has been renewed.