Experience :(

So as some of you already have posted asking for advice I will to but I am in West Sussex. I passed in Dec and got my CPC a week or so ago but I am really struggling to get someone to give me some experience. So far only HGV 2 but have my class 1 training in March and would like to get used to driving a class 2 a bit more before then too? Any tips for this area or places I might look? I have approached a few individual firms and several agencies (who often tell me it’s the wrong time of year or the work, also one who basically implied the work would be too heavy for me being a woman, roll eyes) So I’d appreciate any help or advice! Cheers in advance :smiley:

I’m in a similar position to you. However, I don’t want a full-time job.

I think it depends on your geography. I could work every day I’m legal if I wanted to here in the midlands. I’ve just turned down a job for tomorrow as I have other things on. I’m probably going to do a couple of shifts over the weekend. But I can pick which city of the midlands I’ll be based out of - so it will be Nottingham so I can stay with the Mrs in the evening as she’s working days as well this weekend.

Here is my advice - call every agency local to you. Just ask if they are taking on new passes. Say you have van driving experience. When they say work is slow say you will sign up anyway. Many will tell you they don’t take on new passes. Cross them off the list.

Then once you have signed up for a couple of agencies call them every day at about 1/2pm. This is when they get there work in. If you pester them they will give you work. Once you have done a shift and they see you will turn up they start calling you.

Make sure you have what you need to work. Safety boots, high viz, tacho and cpc card. I also have other things in my bag which I find useful. But if you can tell the agency you have all of that they will be able to get you working. TIP - at this time of the year get a high viz jacket. I got one for £15 from amazon. It’s much nicer when it’s cold. Also get some gloves. Aldi are doing thermal builder gloves for £2.99 which I find okay. And take a flask and travel mug - lots of places have kettles, so it saves you paying £3/4 at a motorway service area. And you never know where you will need to take a 15/30/45 min break. A warm tea/coffee really helps when you just want to get home.

Being a woman is totally fine. There is very little I’ve done so far that requires strength - even delivering steel only required loads of strapping. Anyone saying that should be ignored because they are total morons.

You could try Eezehaul in Crawley if you haven’t already.

Don’t know much about them but they do have Class 2 vehicles, they also have a fair amount of class 1 night trunking on the pallet network type stuff. Not sure about money but might be worth a call.

Register with agencies anyway, you’ll soon find if they can’t cover a shift they’ll soon be on the phone - hopefully. If starting out just to get your foot in the door anywhere, consider taking the unpopular shifts for a bit, like a Sat. afternoon or night. Most agencies won’t care about this 2 year experience nonsense once their commission is at stake. Just be persistent and polite. :slight_smile: Good luck.

I know the feeling. I’m struggling finding Class 1 work in West Sussex too. I’m even looking as far as Heathrow and still not getting anywhere. :frowning:

Where abouts in West Sussex are you?

I got my first Class 2 work doing this: thebestconnection.co.uk/jobs/lg … /CWELXXLGW

It is at DHL Supply Chain, Gatwick Airport. The place is run like a circus and it is pot luck if you’re paid the correct amount of hours. The agency are used to pay queries each week and they will fix the pay query the following week usually. However, DHL Supply Chain at that location will take on new pass Class 2 Drivers and the drivers there are generally a decent bunch

Standard Pay: £11.50 PAYE
Overtime is time and a half = £17.25/hour PAYE

It is pretty labour intensive and you wont be doing much driving on the road as it is just airport roads landside and airside but it gives you a start and plenty of practice reversing. You shouldn’t be doing any lifting, just dragging around pallets of food and cages full of milk or sandwiches. I treated it as being paid to go to the gym :laughing:

When I was there, they were using '17 plate 18 and 26 tonne Daf Automatics

Hyh:
I know the feeling. I’m struggling finding Class 1 work in West Sussex too. I’m even looking as far as Heathrow and still not getting anywhere. :frowning:

Where abouts in West Sussex are you?

I got my first Class 2 work doing this: thebestconnection.co.uk/jobs/lg … /CWELXXLGW

It is at DHL Supply Chain, Gatwick Airport. The place is run like a circus and it is pot luck if you’re paid the correct amount of hours. The agency are used to pay queries each week and they will fix the pay query the following week usually. However, DHL Supply Chain at that location will take on new pass Class 2 Drivers and the drivers there are generally a decent bunch

Standard Pay: £11.50 PAYE
Overtime is time and a half = £17.25/hour PAYE

It is pretty labour intensive and you wont be doing much driving on the road as it is just airport roads landside and airside but it gives you a start and plenty of practice reversing. You shouldn’t be doing any lifting, just dragging around pallets of food and cages full of milk or sandwiches. I treated it as being paid to go to the gym :laughing:

When I was there, they were using '17 plate 18 and 26 tonne Daf Automatics

Yes and lots of waiting around too I would think. Have you ever done the catering trucks at LGW? I heard good and bad about them, most seem to have a pretty high turnover of drivers…

Londontrucker123:
[Yes and lots of waiting around too I would think. Have you ever done the catering trucks at LGW? I heard good and bad about them, most seem to have a pretty high turnover of drivers…

Like I said in the post, The job in the link was how I got my first start.
You’re not catering to the aircraft but the restaraunts in the terminals. Zero waiting around for the Airside part. The Landside has a bit of waiting around in the terminals as the restaurants breakdown the pallets and you take the empties back but nothing like typical airfreight stuff. For airside stuff, you drop at a dock

There was an incredibly high turnover of drivers

The guys who drive the catering trucks and refuellers for the aircraft have some waiting around as I understand - But I’ve never done either of those jobs to personally know.

LMad:
So as some of you already have posted asking for advice I will to but I am in West Sussex. I passed in Dec and got my CPC a week or so ago but I am really struggling to get someone to give me some experience. So far only HGV 2 but have my class 1 training in March and would like to get used to driving a class 2 a bit more before then too? Any tips for this area or places I might look? I have approached a few individual firms and several agencies (who often tell me it’s the wrong time of year or the work, also one who basically implied the work would be too heavy for me being a woman, roll eyes) So I’d appreciate any help or advice! Cheers in advance :smiley:

:slight_smile: You could try contacting this long established, well respected firm - as for them it’s the ‘right’ time of year to be taking on extra drivers!

bleachoflavant.co.uk

Delivering plant trolleys to garden centres nationwide and also pallet deliveries in the local area.

Good luck!