Generator question?

I have a small generator that i am thinking of using on the truck.

Have any of you had any experience of these…

It is a petrol/oil mix (similar to 2 stroke moped engine).

I am hoping to store it in a side locker (Volvo FH) and pull it out when required for powering a small microwave and then colour TV with Sky.
Powering laptop or small vacuum(Dirt Devil).

Obviously I wont be using it when parked next to anyone as that would annoy me too.

Would I have any probs with carrying a small amount of Petrol in its own tank ? (ADR etc??)

Any replies / suggestions welcomed !

I think you will find that they are always four stroke engines. Although for what you want it for you only need the cheapest 240 volt model, not a 110/240v unit. A boat or caravan dealer might be a good place to look but why msa’s can’t have a 240v hook up like caravan and camping sites is beyond me. Even in a tent you can get a 240v supply these days.

Think you misread the post Warren …I already have the genny.

It may be 4 stroke i was just saying you have to mix the petrol/oil like you do on an old 2 stroke OR 4 stroke moped

Thanks for the reply anyway mate :smiley:

You don’t need adr for a petrol can in the boot of your car so…

I presume its within the limited quantitys bracket steve-o maybe Deisel Dave could advise.

probably should have a “Flammable” sticker on the door of the locker though

If you are talking one of those cheap gennies from ALDI’s, I paid £60 for mine, then its def 2 stroke… Anything that has oil mixed with petrol is 2 stroke, try putting 2 stroke petrol/oil in a 4 stroke engine and see what happens… :open_mouth:

That Aldi genny is a good little bit of kit, not man enough to power a welder, but great for power tools etc

Coddy:
If you are talking one of those cheap gennies from ALDI’s, I paid £60 for mine, then its def 2 stroke… Anything that has oil mixed with petrol is 2 stroke, try putting 2 stroke petrol/oil in a 4 stroke engine and see what happens… :open_mouth:

That Aldi genny is a good little bit of kit, not man enough to power a welder, but great for power tools etc

it would still work coddy, just its smoky,

and as he said not all gennys are 4 stroke there are still alot of 2 strokes on the market.

as for genny i would be careful if you are running it in ur side locker because of the fumes. you will be at risk of gassing yourself which can kill you!

Coddy:

I ended up taking ,mine back as it stopped generating. I ended up taking the second back a week later cos that did the same thing. How have you managed to keep yours going?

As for the fuel in the tank, I suppose if it was an ADR issue, then so would the keeping of butane cans for portable stoves.

toowise:
I have a small generator that i am thinking of using on the truck.

Would I have any probs with carrying a small amount of Petrol in its own tank ? (ADR etc??)

Any replies / suggestions welcomed !

Hi toowise, I see you’re in need of an ADR exemption…, well, you’ve come to the right shop. :grimacing:

Could I possibly interest you in this Sir?
ADR 2009 1.1.3.1(a)

The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to:
(a) The carriage of dangerous goods by private individuals where the goods in question
are packaged for retail sale and are intended for their personal or domestic use or for
their leisure or sporting activities provided that measures have been taken to prevent
any leakage of contents in normal conditions of carriage.

So all you have to do is to ensure that it can’t leak, so please don’t carry too much fuel in the tank. :smiley:

As usual, there’s NO connection with Limited Quantities (LQs,) because LQs are a different exemption for a different reason. :wink:

No need for a class 3 sticker on the locker either, because of the exemption.

:bulb: TIP: Working on the principle of ‘there’s no such thing as a free lunch,’ I’d explain that when we use an exemption, there are always one or more little pre-conditions that need to be obeyed in order to take advantage of the exemption. When these are fulfilled, the exemption means that you’re… err… mmm… err… EXEMPT :grimacing:

Have this one on the house and thank you for shopping at exemptions ‘r’ us. :laughing:

Darby Flyer:
As for the fuel in the tank, I suppose if it was an ADR issue, then so would the keeping of butane cans for portable stoves.

Correctamundo, cos the butane cans come under the first part of the exemption I quoted. (Retail sale and personal use.) :smiley:

Cheers for that Dave (cheques in the post :wink: :wink: )

I dont intend to run it in the locker (I’d like to think i’m not that daft :open_mouth: ) just for storage so the ■■■■■■ cant nick it :exclamation:

toowise:
Cheers for that Dave

Hi toowise, no probs mate, glad to help. :smiley:

toowise:
(cheques in the post :wink: :wink: )

I’ve heard that one before. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Darby Flyer:

Coddy:

I ended up taking ,mine back as it stopped generating. I ended up taking the second back a week later cos that did the same thing. How have you managed to keep yours going?

Dunno to be honest, I shake it before use to mixthe petrol/oil up, start it, use it, turn fuel tap off to let it run dry, stops the carb oiling up, then throw it in the back of the Disco then it goes on a shelf in the garage, never gets cleaned, I use it a lot at the railway, as its a sod shunting locos to the sheds…

IF it packs up now mate will be round to see you :smiling_imp:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: