Funny reversing story for newbies

i am reasonably new to TN and been licensed for approx 17 years and reading thru ALL the posts is fun ,i think anyway, as it reminds me off all the mistakes i made as well ! , this post re doors still closed ,brilliant ! done that more than once ! and , on one off my 1st shifts ever, i (yes i done THIS>>>)drove from the yard WITHOUT having hitched the trailer as instructed!!! it was prob the most embarressing mistakes on this planet!

I once (ages ago) forgot to put the taillift back up. Thankfully didn’t go over any bumps and no damage done, but god I was worried when I realised what I had done! Never made that mistake again thankfully. :slight_smile:

BanburyDan:
I once (ages ago) forgot to put the taillift back up. Thankfully didn’t go over any bumps and no damage done, but god I was worried when I realised what I had done! Never made that mistake again thankfully. :slight_smile:

I must admit I have also done this! :blush: I just had to lower the thing down in order to get onto a bay but I didn’t have to drop the tail lift horizontal, just lower the whole thing down still in it’s vertical state. Luckily, I had no large bumps to go over or steep ramps etc. I was actually about to drive out of the RDC when my colleague in his artic in front of me noticed it and stopped to tell me. :unamused: Doh!

LJA:

BanburyDan:

I must admit I have also done this! :blush: I just had to lower the thing down in order to get onto a bay but I didn’t have to drop the tail lift horizontal, just lower the whole thing down still in it’s vertical state. Luckily, I had no large bumps to go over or steep ramps etc. I was actually about to drive out of the RDC when my colleague in his artic in front of me noticed it and stopped to tell me. :unamused: Doh!

Thats what I meant, it was still vertical, but lowered down to get on a bay. At least now it sticks in the mind, as the firm I work for now also use tail-lifts.

I have reversed onto the wrong door before and then discovered there is a heater, stack of pallets or a forklift charger or something behind it, by the time you realise someone else has stolen the correct bay :blush:

A couple of years ago on the coaches I dropped a bunch of Uni students off in Nottingham. No offence to anyone from Nottingham but I hate the place. I always get lost and stressed unless the job states drop and park in the Broadmarsh bus station.

Anyway, I set off to try and find somewhere to park and end up getting lost, big time.

Long story short, I end up needing to turn round so I spot a nice wide open gateway with a long tarmac drive. Perfect I think, hazards on, mirror check, swing out and get ready to reverse.

halfway into the gate I 'm aware there’s a man on my offside rear corner backing me in. That’s nice of him I thought, by now the front end is coming through the gateposts and I notice this kind chap is wearing a long black coat and a black top hat. My eyes go to the right only to be met by quite a few people wearing black, a long pine box suspended over a hole, and a man holding a bible.

Yep, I’ve just backed into a cemetary and brought a funeral to a standstill and one of the undertakers is my banksman :blush: :blush:

Ever seen a Bova Futura jump to warp? I didn’t hang around very long.

All round bad day, ended up at Donnington services, fell asleep in the courier seat and outstayed my 2 hour free parking time and copped a fifty quid fine!

Yes there is nothing like making an impression in a new job. On my first shift for ASDA I was also feeling pretty chuffed at getting to the store, making the delivery and getting back safe. It was only when I got home and found I had the vehicle keys in my pocket, on return to the depot I had also failed to open the barn doors and left the plate on the trailer. Never done it since though, honest.

me as well :blush:

i have a habit of backing onto a bay and then realising i havent removed my number plate :imp: usually just after ive pulled from under it …

drives me mad … :imp:

Yep, done that. For about 4 years I pulled trailers with rear shutters so just straight onto a bay without getting out of the cab, we had people at the gate who took the seal off and brought us our trailer number plate. Christmas when they had rented in some extra trailers I had one with doors and just put it on the bay and dropped it. :blush: :blush:

Coffeeholic:
Yep, done that. For about 4 years I pulled trailers with rear shutters so just straight onto a bay without getting out of the cab, we had people at the gate who took the seal off and brought us our trailer number plate. Christmas when they had rented in some extra trailers I had one with doors and just put it on the bay and dropped it. :blush: :blush:

exactly the same here only with TNT , usually on a friday with empty running on the last leg of a trunk .

no need for the security to check an empty so you change the way you do it and without fail i forget the number plate .

did it last night at liverpool airport i ran back from east midlands airport with empty freight boxes so no seal on and no padlock , backed it onto the usual bay , drove all the way round to the exit and realised i hadnt got it … does my nut in :imp:

did the back door thing last week aswell , usually we pull box trailers with roller shutters so the bay chaps open them , however i had a curtainsider roller bed trailer with barn doors and was just about to back it onto the roller bed bay and the bloke shouted " aint you bothering with the doors drive ? " lined it up perfect aswell … ■■■■■■■ … :imp:

got told which bay to back onto,middle of about 15 all empty backed in perfect 1st go got out to drop trailer looked up at bay number and found im on one at side of where i should be so pulled out ten try’s later i get on right bay.

Hi all

Met a guy I used to work with the other day and I mentioned that I got me class 1 8 weeks ago. He asked how I was getting on with reversing etc, I said I was getting the hang of it but sometimes I need to shunt with the bananas on loading bays. He said don’t worry it’ll come. He told me a story of his first class 1 shift about 20 years ago. He got the keys and was told which bay to reverse on. Being his first shift he wanted to do well and took a few shunts to get the lorry lined up perfect between the lines on the ground and got out the cab quite pleased with himself when the TM came out the warehouse and said, Thats great Bob, your on the right bay and dead between the guide lines, but could you open the barn doors on the trailer for us :laughing:

I found it funny…

We’ve all done it… :blush:

44 Tonne Ton:

Yes :blush:

44 Tonne Ton wrote:
We’ve all done it…
Yes

Yes, me as well - - with half a dozen other drivers watching. It just gets worse and worse!! Character building stuff :laughing: :laughing:

44 Tonne Ton:

YEP… :blush:

Mate passed his LGV C years ago. He was on a bay at an RDC and he’d had to drop his taillift to the ground and reverse with it under the bay section.

When he pulled out he forgot that it was there and turned too soon, ripped the taillift off on those yellow ‘guide’ bollards :open_mouth: :blush: :blush:

Don’t think he worked for them again :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: But he learnt from his mistakes :wink: