Fuel consumptions

Can anybody tell me where I can get a list of fuel consumptions for artic units to see which ones are most ecconomical to run?

it really does depend on what type of work and what type of trailer your pulling and also how tall it is

i suppose and good average would be around 8.0 - 8.5 on 90% motorway work it also depends on what weight you goin to be pulling

motor transport magazine do a truck operations costing table that has been put together by daf - i’m not sure where you will find it but it is often advertised in commercial motor and truck and driver magazines.
a search of motor transport or reed publications or dafs website might turn up a result.
i drive a 470 topline scania and my average is 9.6mpg on mixed work - last week i went to hoegaarden in belgium grossed out at 21.5 ton on dover weighbridge and i managed 12.5mpg from loppem to hoegaarden, it is pretty flat ground but i did hit a couple of traffic delays so i was rather surprised to manage over 12mpg.
the return journey involved a 38ton gross and my fuel consumption dropped to 9.6 mpg by the time i had got to magor in wales - still not bad though.
i have undergone driver training and fuel saving exercises, i also run with crossfires on the drive axle and a hyclone in the intake which probably saves around 1 - 2% in fuel consumption and tyre wear.

as said very much depends on the work and the weight your pulling, now back on steel i’m getting around 10mpg with an old erf380 but i very rarely run over 40t, had a spell on bricks which was 90% max weight and a lot of b road driving and that figure dropped to 7-7.5mpg which makes a big difference to what your actually earn out of the job over a month, also had a month on general which was nearly all curtain siders, generally low weights but no air kit on the unit also saw the figures drop to around 8.5mpg.

paul b:
as said very much depends on the work and the weight your pulling, now back on steel i’m getting around 10mpg with an old erf380 but i very rarely run over 40t, had a spell on bricks which was 90% max weight and a lot of b road driving and that figure dropped to 7-7.5mpg which makes a big difference to what your actually earn out of the job over a month, also had a month on general which was nearly all curtain siders, generally low weights but no air kit on the unit also saw the figures drop to around 8.5mpg.

You lucky lucky [zb], I dream of 7.5 mpg :laughing:
Bulk tippers loaded both ways at 44t across the M62 and A66 if I can average 7 year round I’m happy.
Every now and then I end up going somewhere, strange like Plymouth. Normally results in a lot of empty running, and on a hot sunny, wind free, day in June/July/August them high 8s are achievable.
So I can say with all honesty, my trucks do about 8.5 -9 mpg. :blush:

very lucky but still a language edit…Denis F