Fuel Usage

Hi All, we are looking to replace our small lorry and are trying decide if we should go for another 7.5t rigid or go for a larger 18t or even 26t so we can transport our plant. I have researched the costs of going bigger but I cant find any information anywhere to compare the fuel costs!! :confused: Can anyone shed some light for me - I know that there are a million variables but if they were doing the same run with the same load would the larger lorry use a lot more fuel? Thank you :smiley:

Our euro5 Volvo 26 tonner gets 10.5mpg plus about 5% adblue usage on mixed town/local/distance work

Thank you Misterbreeze :smiley:

Bear in mind on an 18t you’ll get probably close to three 7.5 tonner loads in one trip the cost differential isn’t big. Fuel fairly negligible unless you’re racking up mega mileages. Other two are really road tax and tyres so it really wouldn’t take many saved 7.5 tonner trips to eat those costs.

Post CPC there’s even less reason to operate 7.5 tonners really the saving was never in the fuel it was always in driver’s wages because any random with a car licence could jump behind the wheel.

Thank you - that is really helpful :slight_smile:

I used to run a DAF 12 tonner, double the payload of a 7.5, but no different whatsoever to drive. Mine had the 220 engine and went like stink, even fully loaded, our DAF and MAN 7.5s all had 180 engines and I regularly beat a lot of the lads on those on the fuel economy table.

Not that I ever did, obviously, but I believe nobody bats an eyelid if you drive through a 7.5 weight limit [emoji6]

Thank you PaulNowak, as if you would do a thing like that! :slight_smile:

Me, never. Just a thing someone told me [emoji6]