Front tyre life?

How long do you reckon on a pair of tyres on the front.

Mine are getting low now but have notched up 104k Km’s on my 6 wheeler rigid. I think that’s fairly decent but just wondered really.

Sounds fair to me. Will they now re-groove & go on the back?

We don’t (haven’t done to-date!) cut tyres.

Although they are still legal I’d rather have a bit more tread at this time of year, I’ll happily wear them out on the tag axle it’s just getting the boss to OK a new pair. I reckon they’ve done well as I end up doing a lot of site work.

The daft thing is that the pair on the tag are getting low too, soon it’ll be 4 new tyres.

So you’re only getting one life out of the tyre? Hmm, the tyre sales man will be pleased :smiley:

Depends on the make & cost ofcourse. I suspect cheaper tyres don’t have multi-life.

This is what i was thinking about, explains it quite well:

http://tiny.cc/A5eWB

If your tyres are re-groovable, i’m pretty sure it will say so the wall.

8wheels:
How long do you reckon on a pair of tyres on the front.

Mine are getting low now but have notched up 104k Km’s on my 6 wheeler rigid. I think that’s fairly decent but just wondered really.

What size of tyres? what type of work you doing? My super singles on my steer axle on my artic get around 360,000 kms tramping

I run 295/80 fronts and always use Bridgestones. If I can get away without ripping them first I have got 120,000kms on a six-wheeler tipper. I usually never bother re-grooving them though because of all the little nicks and cuts that accumulate over time. In and out of sites and quarries knackers the bloody things. :unamused:

I did once try a Chinese front tyre, the result was scary and I dumped em’ after 25,000kms! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Lets be clear about this guys, there’s a huge difference in what can be expected between an artic doing 99% road work & a multi-axled tipper often running up & down kerbs, onto construction sites, & in & out of quarries.

I’m running a 6 wheeler beaver tail on Bridgestone 295/80’s it’s obviously less site work than a tipper but still a fair amount of rough work.

I also get a fair share of crap roads and lots of roundabouts too, added to that it’s got a tag lift and will often be running at close to 18t on two axles. This surely will be giving the tyres far more abuse than on a unit.

I did say we’ve never cut the tyres to-date but that could change, usually they get damaged before fully worn out.

But I was also curious as to how long a pair of tyres could last, I’d never have thought they could last that long.

well with the work your doing 120,000 kms is pretty fair for 295/80 same tyres on an artic on tramping work youd be getting around 200,000 kms. The tyres im getting 360,000 out of are super singles 385/65 thats there first life i then cut them and put them on lift axle

daf 44 ton on bulk bridgestone 249 120000kms or 12 months not bad, now trying toyo. bridgestone to dear now

truckerbuster:
daf 44 ton on bulk bridgestone 249 120000kms or 12 months not bad, now trying toyo. bridgestone to dear now

Don’t forget to come back and let us knows how long they last.

Whilst on the subject of tyres, does any body know a decent nationwide supplier/fitter in the Teesside region? NOT ATS, truckforce or town and country. Ta.

DER, if they’re nationwide they don’t necc. have to be in the Teesside region!! Sorry, blonde mo.