Michelin TruckNet Survey - Question 2

Hello everybody,

Thank you very much for your responses so far to our Truckfest question — it’s great to hear your opinions on the event.

Now, on to the second question in our Michelin TruckNet Survey:

According to your own experience, how long do you think that a new truck tyre should last on a tractor unit operating in general haulage in the UK?

i had a set of Bridgestones on a unit when i bought it, and they were still on there 2 years later, not cut

shuttlespanker:
i had a set of Bridgestones on a unit when i bought it, and they were still on there 2 years later, not cut

Hi shuttlespanker,

Thank you very much for your response.

Out of interest - approximately how many miles did you get out of those tyres, and is this the best tyre performance that you have experienced?

at the time, i was doing a job tramping away all week, doing an average of 2000 miles per week, so, it would have been at least 180,000 - 200,000 miles (based on the 2 years), although, some of the tyres did last longer than 2 years

IIRC, the drive axle tyres lasted over 2 1/2 years, before they needed cutting, doing the 2000 miles per week

as for the best performance overall, i can’t really say, because i used to go in a lot of scrap yards, and most of the time, the tyres would get ruined before their natural life expectancy :cry:

that was one of the main reasons that i never really went for Premium Brand tyres, such as Michelin, as has been said before, a chunk of rebar won’t differentiate between a Michelin and a cheaper brand tyre

I get approx 150,000 km from a 295/80 xze2 with a turn halfway through its life. That’s on the front axle of a Volvo fh running at 44tonnes most of the time. They get a lot of shoulder wear, even when axle alignment has been checked.
My current tyre of choice for fronts are conti hsr2 as I can get 170,000 km without a turn as they wear nice and flat.

I am currently trying 3 pairs of multiway 3d xze or whatever they are called on steer axles. Why not call them xze3?

On the drive I can get 270,000 km from a set of new xde2 with a cut. i tried the xdn2 grip but only got approx 230,000 km over 3 trial sets. Your tech blokey Dan lamb didn’t believe me but I ■■■■ you not. I know my tyre mileages.
Conti hdr2 are not as good, generally about 230,000 with a cut, but they are about £100 a tyre cheaper.

On the rear axle of a triaxle 385/65 i get 130,000 out of a xte3, 120,000km out of a conti htr2 (£90 cheaper) 120,000 from xte2 or xta2 energy. A pair of Pirelli st01 i’m trying are predicted to run off at 90,000 km.

I was 100% Michelin upto about 5 years ago, now use Michelin and continental, prob 50/50. Ats and Michelin are coming up with some good deals at the minute, so am back to buying new Michelin for the trailers as long as the deals last.

Hope you find all these numbers interesting. Say hello to your rep Carl Forster from me, he does a good job.

Hi Coiler,

During the last year or so Michelin has launched a new naming strategy for the truck tyre product range. I have attached a picture of this for you so you can see the differences between our extensive range.

You will see that the focus of the naming is on conditions of use and the new names complement the intended use of the truck tyre.

If you have any questions we are happy to help.

What on earth does polyvalent mean?

Silver_Surfer:
What on earth does polyvalent mean?

Its french for multi purpose :smiley:

Michelin Truck UK:
Hi Coiler,

During the last year or so Michelin has launched a new naming strategy for the truck tyre product range. I have attached a picture of this for you so you can see the differences between our extensive range.

You will see that the focus of the naming is on conditions of use and the new names complement the intended use of the truck tyre.

If you have any questions we are happy to help.

Thanks for the info. Still think xze3 is a better name.

Ahh, thanks donkey dog. What a great word, Polyvalent. :sunglasses:

In response to the original question, I’m embarassed to say, I never bothered monitoring my tyre life that closely apart from a general awareness when I was running a few. :blush:

i have got some Torque TG660 steer tyres on the front and mid lift of my DAF XF at the moment, had them for 2 years now, the front set are just coming up for a cut and swap to the middle, the middle set look hardly used at all

I thought you weren’t supposed to cut steers, or do you just put the cut ones only on the mid lift? You wouldn’t put cut steer on the front shuttle?

shuttlespanker:
i have got some Torque TG660 steer tyres on the front and mid lift of my DAF XF at the moment, had them for 2 years now, the front set are just coming up for a cut and swap to the middle, the middle set look hardly used at all

i think the highlighted part answers your question :wink:

Silver_Surfer:
I thought you weren’t supposed to cut steers, or do you just put the cut ones only on the mid lift? You wouldn’t put cut steer on the front shuttle?

to ask a question of technical team at Michelin, why do they suggest that you cannot put cut tyres on the front steer axle?

as long as they are cut properly, and not too deep, what is the issue with putting cut tyres on the front steer axle?

I had a set of 315/80’s xde’s on my last 4x2 Scania that got
Taken off at 450,000 k’s with one cut out of them.
This was on European fridge work. I still have them in the yard with about 4mm
On them.

295/80 drive
Got 375000 km with bridgestones doing spain with fridge
At time were £130 each cheaper than michelin
You give big/medium to small fleets good discounts to use only michelib know one comlany with 10 and there michelins work out same as bridgstone conti
So why nkt to the smaller operters■■?

Icurrently use bridgstone on drive conti on steers
Trailers have been using miche remix but to be fair had same mileages out of hancooks

Hi All,

In answer to the questions reference regrooving please see below our formal response:

To capitalise on the savings of a Michelin tyre policy it is essential for good tyre management of which regrooving and fitting regrooved tyres is critical. It is possible that other manufacturers may advise against fitting a regrooved steer tyre to the front axle however this is not the case for the Michelin product although we do point out that not all operating conditions are appropriate (harsh, abrasive environments for example). To better understand how this affects your operation please contact a Michelin Account Manager who will be happy to provide you with the latest Michelin regrooving material and advice.

If you have any other questions on this subject please let us know :slight_smile:

300,000 kms at least.

240k before a recut on drive axles would be an average for me.