Freight liner Bristol / Container work in general

These lot are looking for drivers. Has anyone worked for them or know anyone who has? And also, what’s the crack with container work in general?

This job is day work also, not tramping. Cheers

Don’t know anything about them except where they’re located and it’s an awful place to get in and out of. Container work usually easy though, thought it would involve at least a few nights out.

Cheers BB, yes the estate I know well, I’ve delivered to most businesses along South Liberty lane, and it is a massive pain in the arse getting in and out at any time of the day. But it’s a 10 min walk from my house.

MikeDBristol:
But it’s a 10 min walk from my house.

That is the stuff dreams are made of :smiley:

The driver does not have anything to do with the container unloading or reloading processes.
Some are sealed with bolts on the back doors, some clients remove the bolt themselves or ask the driver.
When opening the doors, be careful of shifted cargo that may fall out and crush you.
Handball deliveries can take five hours or more, little boxes that are checked.
The skeletal trailer needs to shortened to haul a 20 foot box, then stretched for a 40 foot box.
High Cube boxes are over height, plan the route to avoid low bridges, adjust the height marker inside the cab, to remind you of the heights.
To avoid Wilton bridge, take the A 303 ,before Stonhenge, turn south to Salisbury to come out in the city centre.
Pack night out gear for an unplanned night out or run out of hours tipping, or delayed due to a breakdown or road closure.

Ten minute walk, to a local job with Freightliner? It really does not get better than that, as long as the job suits and the money is acceptable. Up here in Liverpool I know a few lads on days, and they love it. There never seems to be any pressure on them, and once you are at the delivery/collection point your time is your own. Turnaround time can vary from half hour to five or more. If you know how to keep yourself occupied or like sleeping then that is not a problem. If you like a bit of tang or wear a ten gallon hat and yearn to do seventy along the A75 in a Topline Scania then you might not be best suited. If, however you want to earn and have a bit of home life too it will be perfect.
If you are new to containers, try and familiarise yourself with the various types of sliding bogie trailers. I have been asked a few times to demonstrate and it is never a problem, and am sure for most drivers it would not be a problem to give you the heads up on how to operate them safely. You will get an induction anyway, but better to try and gain some prior knowledge if you can. The rest of the job is just common sense. Always remember to drive carefully with import boxes. You have no idea what is in it, most of the time, or how it has been loaded. Could be a bulk bag, top heavy or anything. Just take your time!

Hi, I worked for Freightliner at Bristol about 4 years ago and I have to say that it was the worst job that I’ve ever had.
The job consisted of taking loaded 20 ft containers of wine from the rail depot at South Liberty Lane and travelling along the A4 Portway road to Acolade wines in Avonmouth approx 10 miles away and drop and swap trailers then back to South Liberty Lane again for the next container , you were expected to do this up to 10 times a day depending on traffic, there was no variation from this! , also, there was no shortening or extending of trailers the only adjustments were to take the occasional 40 foot container, there were no nights out and you were expected to work at least a 12 hour shift when it was busy all for £8.00 an hour as it was back then (agency got more money)
Of the four guys that started work with me two had left by the end of the week another lasted 3 weeks and I lasted 6 weeks until I couldn’t take any more, being constantly stuck in traffic and having to negotiate that awful junction at Winterstoke/South Liberty
As I said earlier this was 4 years ago and things may have improved at Freightliner since then–but the traffic hasn’t !

Thanks all. MWJG, that was what I was afraid of.

MikeDBristol:
Thanks all. MWJG, that was what I was afraid of.

Seen a Freightliner on Portbury Dock the other day delivering to Mathew Clarks maybe you’ll be doing that too.