Container Work

Do any of you know anything about WCSL, based in Trafford Park, Manchester ? Just looking to hear about the usual, trucks, trailers, working conditions etc ?
Also, for you container chaps, what’s the work like running containers, it says to and from container ports and railhead deliveries/collections, is there a lot of waiting around etc ? Thanks in advance guys.
Cheers,
Phil

i did Elite out of Eling Wharf on a Brian Rayner sub contract,be prepared to wait around to check the cargo for damage/shortages and wait for the paper work to be signed.
I would take my bike,give them my mobile number,and go off for a few hours,with small packets of goods,it may take up to 6 to 7 hours to un-load it.
At the Isle of Grain,or Thamesport,you get a pager,so you can have a meal in the cafe there,untill you are bleeped in.
At Southampton,it is aVBS sytem,and it takes a while to get to know the different areas,for loaded/empty boxes,ask for a map at the gate when you get in.
For Southampton,it was a 7 am or 8 am delivery to Yorkshire or further afield,so i had to leave very early in the morning.
Get some cab entertainment,for very long waits while tipping,a good book,or a TV of somesort.
You will need to shorten a 40 foot box skeletal trailer to a 20 foot box,every trailer is different,a driver should help you out.
I used to load loose clay near Plymouth.

Not sure who WCSL are, unless its intials for Wincanton, but as for Container work itself, love it, loads off waiting around, brill if your hourly paid. been on it for about 5 yrs now. Do miss the getting involved with loading and tipping sometimes, but then I remember I’m naturaly idle, and then I’m happy again. :wink:

You only have to open the trailer doors,you are not insured to unload it,it is the job of where you are going to mess around with it.

Many thanks for that guys, it’s certainly food for thought.
Phil

Sorry mate, don’t know WCSL, and I’ve worked Trafford Park for years now, for a good few firms.

Different firms have different pay and conditions, but they’re all usually pretty poor pay tbh, but we’re paid for doing nowt for a good few hours of most days.

The job is how trucking SHOULD be.
We drive to and from jobs, and open doors (which can be a task tbh), LOTS of paperwork though.

But, in this crappy weather, when it’s windy, raining, snowing or icy, you just have to remember being smacked in the head off a curtain pole, having a shower when you remove a support bar, falling on your arse trying to open a curtain in the ice etc.

Then, sitting in your cab with night heater on, playing on lappy for ■■■■ pay doesn’t seem too bad.

waynedl:
Sorry mate, don’t know WCSL, and I’ve worked Trafford Park for years now, for a good few firms.

Different firms have different pay and conditions, but they’re all usually pretty poor pay tbh, but we’re paid for doing nowt for a good few hours of most days.

We drive to and from jobs, and open doors (which can be a task tbh), LOTS of paperwork though.

But, in this crappy weather, when it’s windy, raining, snowing or icy, you just have to remember being smacked in the head off a curtain pole, having a shower when you remove a support bar, falling on your arse trying to open a curtain in the ice etc.

Then, sitting in your cab with night heater on, playing on lappy for [zb] pay doesn’t seem too bad.

oh, looks like someone forgot to mention that bit to me :blush:

i just hand over the PoD and get it signed, they never give me any more paperwork than that :frowning:

shuttlespanker:

waynedl:

Then, sitting in your cab with night heater on, playing on lappy for [zb] pay doesn’t seem too bad.

oh, looks like someone forgot to mention that bit to me :blush:

i just hand over the PoD and get it signed, they never give me any more paperwork than that :frowning:

I’m now on Turners, but contracted out to OOCL, but we’re a remote base, so no printed notes, everything is hand written, then you’ve got the oocl pda, then a turners run sheet, then places like seaforth want to keep a copy of the note, so that’s another copy.

So, for fuel, or night out, or tolls etc, has to go in both PDA and on run sheet, including litres, mileage, location, account or cash for parking / tolls etc…

Spend half my day doing paperwork, and it’s usually still wrong lol

Good info guys, thanks. I met the guy yesterday and it seems that WCSL are a subsidary of Elite Transport based at Trafford Park, so any other info relating to that ? On the face of it they look good to work for and the staff were friendly.
Phil

WCSL
Date in paper: 14/10/2011
Notice Type: Licence Applications

GOODS VEHICLE OPERATOR’S LICENCE
White’s Container Solutions Ltd
trading as WCSL "of 162 Manchester Road, Astley, Tyldesley, Manchester M29 7FB is applying to use Unit 4 Old Mill Business Park, Severn Way, Hunslet, Leeds LS10 1BY as an operating centre for 25 goods vehicles and 35 trailers.
Owners or occupiers of land (including buildings) near the operating centre who believe that their use or enjoyment of that land would be affected, should make written representations to the Traffic Commissioner at North Eastern Traffic Area, Hillcrest House, 386 Harehills Lane, Leeds LS9 6NF stating their reasons, within 21 days of this notice.
Representors must at the same time send a copy of their representations to the applicant at the address given at the top of this notice.
A Guide to making representations is available from the Traffic Commissioner’s Office

Elite’s owners name is White so there could be a connection

Been offered the job and I’m looking forward to it :smiley: . If any of you container guys see someone in an MAN TGX 440 looking lost in a container port it will be me :smiley: !!! It is White’s and it is linked with Elite, they are brothers. Thanks for all the advice guys it’s much appreciated. They sound like a good company to work for, low basic but a lot of tax free top ups, bit like what you get under an umbrella scheme but it isn’t. They are intalling the front facing in-cab cameras too which save me from buying one.
Phil

Excelent :smiley: Will your motor have WCSL written on it, so as i know who i’m laughing at when your lost. :laughing:

I go into Stobbies at Widnes, and Seaforth now and then, and Tamworth BIFT a bit more often. though you’ll more and likely end up in Felixstowe. I’ll keep an eye out :wink:

eddie snax:
Excelent :smiley: Will your motor have WCSL written on it, so as i know who i’m laughing at when your lost. :laughing:

I go into Stobbies at Widnes, and Seaforth now and then, and Tamworth BIFT a bit more often. though you’ll more and likely end up in Felixstowe. I’ll keep an eye out :wink:

who are you on for?

i run out of BIFT Tamworth

shuttlespanker:

eddie snax:
Tamworth BIFT a bit more often. though you’ll more and likely end up in Felixstowe. I’ll keep an eye out :wink:

who are you on for?

Kemballs, liveried for Allport, got a highline Scania :wink:

Was there on Wednesday, is your Avatar your motor :question:

eddie snax:

shuttlespanker:

eddie snax:
Tamworth BIFT a bit more often. though you’ll more and likely end up in Felixstowe. I’ll keep an eye out :wink:

who are you on for?

Kemballs, liveried for Allport, got a highline Scania :wink:

Was there on Wednesday, is your Avatar your motor :question:

they are/were mine, i am driving a white XF SSC in the same livery, the older of he two red ones in my avatar has been sold, and the other one is on curtainsiders

shuttlespanker:
[

they are/were mine, i am driving a white XF SSC in the same livery, the older of he two red ones in my avatar has been sold, and the other one is on curtainsiders

Righty oh ! I’ll keep me eyes open in the new year :wink:

Not sure Eddie, I think so, they are going to be ready the second week of January, brand new TGX :smiley: . I had one at Bibby and loved driving it, loads of room in them and a good sized fridge. I’ll look out for your XF, have a good Xmas lads and thanks for all your help and advice.
Phil

philtvc65:
Not sure Eddie, I think so, they are going to be ready the second week of January, brand new TGX :smiley: . I had one at Bibby and loved driving it, loads of room in them and a good sized fridge. I’ll look out for your XF, have a good Xmas lads and thanks for all your help and advice.
Phil

if you are keeping a look out for me, i mainly run around the midlands doing locals out of BIFT at Tamworth

ok mate, have a good one :smiley:

if you come to teesport you will have to watch an induction video, you will see the star of the show {ie Me} pretending to know what i,m doing :smiley: