Forced to work 6 days every week

Is that legal? I’m guessing if a contract says “hours to suit the buisness” or something along those lines they may be able to shaft you that way. I always get my 45 hours off at the weekend but can they make you do 6 days every week?

Steve-o:
Is that legal? I’m guessing if a contract says “hours to suit the buisness” or something along those lines they may be able to shaft you that way. I always get my 45 hours off at the weekend but can they make you do 6 days every week?

Are you complying with the WTD 48 hour average week :wink:

If you are then I guess it would depend on any workplace agreements or contract.

i do 6 days most weeks (needs must) at the mo and yes i stay legal normally :exclamation: finished by 1300h friday till sunday mid morning every week as sunday is double time
if at anytime i get i get close to my 90h fortnight i get friday off or just work in yard helping to load washing me truck making the tea feeding the works cat of looking busy some other way

Steve-o:

if your contract say 48 hours in any week and in theory there can 8 hours per day but some contracts can say 48 for 5 day week have a look to see

as a driver you can only do an average of 48 hours work under the RTD

plus your driving may come in to it the average drive hours is 45 per week so again as long as your hours don’t go over you could be made to work 6 days

They can and will but if you are getting 45 hours a week off how are you doing 6 days?

168 hours in a week, 45 hours off leaving 123 hours. in addition to that you are having at least 49 hours rest. Then let us say you have 45 minutes break every day that gives you another 4.5 hrs.

So now you are sleeping for 98.5 hours per week :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve-o:

Might be easier to see if you showed us your usual weekly working such as -

Mon 0600 - 1500 total breaks = 1 hour drive + other work = 8 hours
Tue 0600 - 1500 total breaks = 1 hour drive + other work = 8 hours
Wed 0600 - 1500 total breaks = 1 hour drive + other work = 8 hours
Thu 0600 - 1500 total breaks = 1 hour drive + other work = 8 hours
Fri 0600 - 1500 total breaks = 1 hour drive + other work = 8 hours
Sat ■■?

Wheel Nut:
They can and will but if you are getting 45 hours a week off how are you doing 6 days?

168 hours in a week, 45 hours off leaving 123 hours. in addition to that you are having at least 49 hours rest. Then let us say you have 45 minutes break every day that gives you another 4.5 hrs.

So now you are sleeping for 98.5 hours per week :stuck_out_tongue:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sorry about being a little vague.

I start sunday usually around mid day and finish on a friday usually at mid day too

Usually after breaks I’m paid for around 55 - 60 hours and there’s anything from just an hour or two poa right up to around ten. Driving is usually around the 7 or 8 hour mark per day and maybe just a couple on Fri as I usually don’t need a 45min break that day

So what you are saying is you are working on 6 days a week, but the last day is usually a half day.

Provided you are not going over your tacho hours (and getting your 45hrs rest each week) and you are not exceeding your WTD hours then there is nothing illegal about that.

In fact it seems to be the norm with the west country hauliers due to the distance we are from civilisation :wink:

Steve-o:
I start sunday usually around mid day and finish on a friday usually at mid day too

Ah that’s different to what I was thinking.

so you are getting 48 hours off each week but over 3 days - 2 X half days and 1 full day.

I thought many drivers had been doing that type of week for years :question: :question: :question:

Steve-o:
sorry about being a little vague.

Usually after breaks I’m paid for around 55 - 60 hours and there’s anything from just an hour or two poa right up to around ten. Driving is usually around the 7 or 8 hour mark per day and maybe just a couple on Fri as I usually don’t need a 45min break that day

So really your only working five days sun midday to fri midday is five days with two days off as in midday fri to midday sun = 48 hours off

Pub for 13.00 on a friday and a nice long lie in on a sunday. :sunglasses:

Got a phone number. :wink: