Fleet spec auto boxes

Haven’t posted for a while so hi all :wink: . Have read with interset the differing opinions regarding auto boxes within HGV’S. My personal preference is auto, as long as it is VOLVO I Shift. Any other auto box I’m guite happy to work with, as I know I have the manual option if I’m not happy with the gear selection. Now though, I have to drive a CF 85 with a fleet spec gearbox, which has no option for manual changes, and in is an absolute nightmate to drive in whatever the weather conditions. Your opinions please.

i thought all dafs were fitted with the same gearbox.we have some auto 105 dafs with both. the old xfs were the same exept you had a gear stick and a switch a bit like a stralis i would think if its a newish cf the box will be the same dash mounted switch and a paddle for manual■■?

All the new and newish auto CFs I’ve driven have had the same stick at the side of the driver seat that you push to the left to get into manual, and push it again to go back to auto, or just move the stick forwards or backwards to change gear and simultaneously go into manual, I think the system is called AS-Tronic.

There is a “Fleet Spec” auto for the DAF CF. I remember reading about it in the handbook of a CF I had a shot of recently. It is a simple switch selection for forward, neutral or reverse. There was no way of manually selecting anything.

The ultimate dumbing down of a gearbox. Obviously designed for FLT drivers :laughing:

Thats the one Renny. The paddle stalk is still there and operates the retarder when pulled back or forward to engage or disengage. The stalk still moves up and down as on normal daf autos, but with no manual changes available. Depending on the load weight and gradient of the road, I’ve had the truck change up and down gear several times within the space of a minute. You can’t plan ahead and switch to manual on these fleet spec auto boxes.

Obviously you havn’t had any training to gert the best from it.

Knock the stick sideways and it will select manual,then you can hold and change what gear you want it to be in.

Tony b

Obviously you havn’t had any training to gert the best from it.

Knock the stick sideways and it will select manual,then you can hold and change what gear you want it to be in.

Tony b

Look at the drivers manual in a new cf if you get the chance. Two types of auto boxes. One with a manual option, and one without (fleet spec). The only way to hold a gear is to use the retarder, which obviously isn’t possible when wanting to accelerate on an incline for example. Had the training, and the instructors agree its a pain in the backside. All to do with better fuel economy.

Sorry.

I didnt know they did a different gearbox.Ihad an 06 plate cf85430 with the as tronic. Great gearbox,but difficult to couple up without banging the pin in.

Tony b

Eurotronic fitted to the new Iveco’s we had delivered last week, Three buttons on the dash, R-N-D and that is it :open_mouth: . I feel like I have had a stroke… the left side of my body does nothing now!
I’m actually quite impressed though, very smooth changes up and down the 12 ratios. But not quite as smooth as my own shifts…sniff :unamused: