auto v manual

looking at a daf xf, which will be going onto site work, quarries, farms, build sites ect but as an auto box, I have no experience of these, are they any good for the work it is intended to do or shall I give it a miss?
ta

I’d give it a miss, you can’t beat your own clutch control when the going gets slippery or very close manoeuvers are called for, the on/off switch clutch in that auto pile of dung when fitted to DAF’s is a bad joke.

The 16 speed manual on the other hand is a dream of a box.

None of my business but would the CF be a more handy motor for dodging about on sites and the like, my 460 manual CF i miss, a lot, far better lorry than the badge snobs would have you believe, pulled like a good 'un.

I like dafs but the auto gearbox is shocking :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

seth 70:
I like dafs but the auto gearbox is shocking :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

This^^^ been lucky not to encounter the auto Daf that much but think the auto box has amnesia you need a gear to pull off or onto a roundabout and the box goes and makes a brew instead shocking.

We have 6 XF’s, the auto box is the worst part about them, would have thought they would be useless in off road situations.

seth 70:

This.

Trev_H:
We have 6 XF’s, the auto box is the worst part about them, would have thought they would be useless in off road situations.

& this.

manual every time got 12 cf auto hate the thing would rather have erf with eaton twin splitter but each to there own get a go with a demo loaded and empty before you spend your hard earned :slight_smile:

Manual, all the way.

thanks all!! the price may have been attractive lol now i know why

DAF autos are gash on fridge work, I dread to think what their like off road!

Now Volvo autos is a different story!

DAF autos are gash, full stop!

PaulNowak:
autos are gash, full stop!

Well, I’ve never driven an auto of any make that I’ve preferred to the manual equivalent, including Volvo. Manual 'boxes are just more engaging than autos: driving an auto truck is a bit like driving a dodgem car.

Juddian:
The 16 speed manual on the other hand is a dream of a box.

Best gearbox I’ve ever got my grubby little hands on…:exclamation:

I’ve got the 8 speed manual in my cf; Lovely gearbox.

dle1uk:
looking at a daf xf, which will be going onto site work, quarries, farms, build sites ect but as an auto box, I have no experience of these, are they any good for the work it is intended to do or shall I give it a miss?
ta

XFs aren’t very good off road, manual or auto! their not even very good, traction wise on wet slippery roads! but that could be down to the standard road tyres fitted from new.

I seem to be in a minority or one but I like autos, they are not a problem you’ve just got to drive them right. You can’t drive them like a manual. I’ve got a Daf 460 at the moment and it’s alright. How good they would be for off road work I don’t know cause I don’t do much, but I’ve never been stuck in the snow with one.

knight:
I seem to be in a minority or one but I like autos, they are not a problem you’ve just got to drive them right.

Have you ever driven a MAN? Hopeless things changing down and up at stupid points along the road. Volvo I shift however, brilliant.

18 speed Fuller Eaton you want. Now thats a dream box to work with

Muckaway:

knight:
I seem to be in a minority or one but I like autos, they are not a problem you’ve just got to drive them right.

Have you ever driven a MAN? Hopeless things changing down and up at stupid points along the road.

Same box, but i reckon clutch control on the DAF version is even worse, the only saving grace being the better low speed grunt the DAF engine has, both can be driven manually (assuming manual hasn’t been programmed out) but the box isn’t instantly responsive as say a Scania, well that’s what i’ve found, others seem quite happy to let the thing rev its nuts off at junctions when it selects the wrong gear every time, i hate that.