auto v manual

DAF installation of AStronic is slightly better than MAN version, however neither are in the same league as any manual.
No modern ‘big cab’ unit is much good off-road, they carry a lot of weight on the front axle which tends to bog down, even when empty.
This is only compounded by high power engines, too much power is no use whatsoever off-road, you need low down torque.
Modern lorries also suffer from a lack of ground clearance for the types of work you list, MAN in particular are too low under the “bumper” and under the fuel tank, even more so when the axle is raised to improve traction.
In general, I enjoy general bulk, you’ll get to places where most wouldn’t want to take a 4x4, never mind 44 tons.

Yes, I have just parted company with an 11 plate MAN and I had a 06 MAN before that. Both could be driven in manual and both had kickdown and diff lock. Drove all through the snow over the last five years, never got stuck. only had the Daf for a couple of weeks but would agree the gear box is slightly better than the MAN and I do like the extra low down grunt. The Daf can be driven in manual and has diff lock but no kickdown. Well the switch is there but it does nowt.
Shouldn’t worry about the low clearance at the front of the MAN those panels will fall off any how, mine did, more that once!

Just spent a week on a Euro 6 cf with auto box and must admit that the new incarnation is far better than anything else that daf have come out with, ok the cab is the same as an 02 model apart from the buttons but at least the gearbox doesn’t leave you high and dry in the middle of a roundabout

Only auto i would buy would be volvo
Anything else manual