Flammable Liquids

Could somebody tell me the procedure for becoming licensed to handle flammable liquids? My local airport is expanding and I am thinking about applying for a job as an aircraft re-fueller.

Specifically, I would be interested in knowing how much it costs to obtain a petregs licence, but any advice would be welcome.

Vince

hi vince,i don’t know if an adr course will be sufficent to work in the airport industry.but if it does most driver training company’s will do this course.as for prices they will vary company to company,but only by the odd few quid.shop around on the web and you’ll get a better idea of cost,plus company’s in your area ( margate ) if i’m right.good luck :wink:

Would that be Manston Airport then Vince?
I heard a couple of years ago that expansion was in the pipeline,isn’t it a mainly cargo airport now?
I remember as a kid in Whitstable seeing those bull nosed cargo planes coming in to Manston,I think it was Luxcargo or something.Me old memories not what it was tho’.

Vince, All you need is Class 3 module, It should cost you about £60 all in. Its an absolute piece of p.

But, :exclamation: there is always one of them isn’t there?

The Airport refuellers earn crap money, There are always jobs up at EMA for this, The aviation industry is renowned for long unsociable hours with poor pay.

Normally 12 hour shifts and about 6 miles driven.

It would be a better job running the fuel into the dump from the refinery but as you lot saw some action in 1940 down there, there is probably already a pipeline.

The most difficult part for us is getting the security clearance.

5 Years checkable work history, “no Breaks”

Thanks for the answers.

It is indeed Manston Airport, which is becoming home to a budget airline (eu jet) and will have around 60 flights a day from later this year.

For the time being, I fancy a job where I get home every day. I did notice Malc`s comments about the pay not being so good though.

Vince

Hi Vince,

8 years ago I was working as an Aircraft Refueller at Teesside Airport. I was there for 11 years and only left due to a back problem. It was the easiest job I ever had. Shifts were 6-2 and 2-10 then but I think most airports now are 24/7. Spent most of the day watching TV and sunbathing. The pay wasn’t too bad then, £280 take home if I worked a shift of overtime. The wage was calculated over a 3 week shift cycle all weeks paid the same wether you worked on Saturdays or Sundays and regardless of what shift. Conoco (JET) were the company that was moving into most airports to do the refuelling they pay decent but hours are long. I didnt need any ADR or Hazchem experience for the job (although I had done fuel deliveries with Stillers). All training was in house by the senior refueller, 6 weeks working along side him and then a written test and was off on my own. Most of the training is on fuel quality control as once you have fuelled one Jet most of them are pretty much the same. If you go for the job you will be up against the ex RAF refuellers, which makes life difficult as they already know the quality control and have the experience. Good luck if you decide to go for it, you wont do a lot of driving but its not a bad job. PM me if you need more info

Regards
westie

hi vince,
i am one of them ex raf refueller drivers :wink:
about six years ago, when i came out the airforce i was after a refuelling job.
i had friends at heathrow and manchester who could get me a job and the pay was good. heathrow was around £35000 a year and manchester was £30000. stansted was in the low £30000 aswell.
the smaller airports pay a lot less.
that said its a very easy job and as westie says you can spend a lot of time sitting around playing cards etc. the smaller the airport the more time you spend sitting playing cards.
the only reasons i didnt take any of the jobs was the commuting time from peterborough and the fact that most companies were on temporary contracts (normally 6 months).this is just the nature of the industry.
best of luck with the job.

ps. women refueller drivers. a rare breed.
lumpy jumper paraffin pumpers. :slight_smile:

Thanks to Westie and Dave, and everyone else for their advice,

I intend to give it a go if a vacancy arises. If not, I will look carefully at other vacancies which arise, since there always seem to be lots of trucks around at airports, servicing aircraft.

Maybe I would get bored with it after a while, I just don`t know, but for the time being I fancy doing a job which would give me more of a home life.

I`ll let you know if anything arises.

Vince

Hi Dave,

Is that top photo a leyland Bison■■? Looks the same as the one we had at Teesside and that was and ex RAF BISON. Exactly the same set up even down to the trailer

regards
Westie

after checking up just to make sure i think thats an aec mamouth major as opposed to a bison , not that they were much different.
now the newer scammells/leylands were supposed to have replaced the bisons but the scammells/leyland were automatics and some had a nasty habit of blowing the gearboxes up and leaving pieces of metal all over the floor. not a good idea on a refueller.
the mod then sent off a load of bisons for refurbishment and when they came back the old cabs had been replaced with new leyland cabs. i will try and find a photo. still drove like a bag of spanners though.
now if i remember correctly the wagon and drag outfit was not allowed on the public road. this was down either to the length of the outfit or the swan neck coupling between wagon and drag. (they didnt have the best turning circle either.
1 leyland bison minus the drag

old aec

new aec, i think

I think the only certificate needed to haul jet fuel is ‘Insanity certificate’ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

its an excellent job pat. everybody stays well away :laughing:
atleast you stayed clean unlike hauling cement to some mixer yard in a quarry :wink:

Hi,

Its a good job if you get the right manager/supervisor in charge, otherwise like anywhere it can be terrible. I am leaving after 18 years as a fueller at Newcastle Airport. Basic pay is 23800 for 37.5 hours over 24/7. The company I work for has had notice to quit and the rest of the lads are tupe’ing over to the new operator (Swissport). Same t’s & c’s but new starters go in on 19k. I do not want to work there anymore(it happens) and am taking voluntary redundancy. Have a new taxi on the drive, so that will do till something interesting turns up!!

Good luck, you will enjoy it.

By the way, as airports are not public highways, no adr is needed.

Chris
NCL

Sorry, forgot,

Have had experience of the ex RAF lads, you will be doing the work of 3 of them!!!

[/img]

Look at www.branch162.com for more pics.

Chris