First run tomorrow, advice

Hi all,

Just had a call and got a class 2 run for the coop tomorrow.

Any advice that can be given will be much appreciated bearing in mind I’m new.

Any idea how many drops they do?

Don’t worry about any timed bookings just concentrate on doing the job right and safely.
Good luck and enjoy.

As it’s bound to have a tail lift, I take it before I take it out to drop the lift and check the load?

Sounds a daft question but like I say I’m new and don’t want to ■■■■ anything up.

I’m used to office work so this is my first break.

I take it its a case of arrive, go to transport office, get given run sheet and keys and the rests upto me?

Done a bit of agency work for the co op, probably be 4 - 5 drops some might be through front door some might be nice ones around the back, you will have to collect empty cages as you go so fold them to give yourself room in the back. Just take your time and be polite to the co op staff and they might even give you a hand you never know ! The delivery times I found were pretty generous.

Obviously it could be a fridge, what’s the best temperature to have things set or would it all depend on the load being carried? Don’t suppose they would set it as it’s being loaded would they?

If it’s got a fridge then it’ll be set for you. The temperature depends on what you’ve got on, i.e. -20 odd for frozen, +2ish for fridge and around +7 for produce.

Also the tailift will have plates which you use to stop the cages rolling off, my advice is use them you don’t want cages falling off. Also when you pull up outside each co op ask where the best place is to position the wagon , and check you have the right cage for the right shop.

bubsy06:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

bald bloke:

bubsy06:

Dragging cages with ■■■■■■ wheels up kerbs etc
He better have his Weetabix :grimacing:

:bulb:

bubsy06:

bald bloke:

bubsy06:

Dragging cages with [zb] wheels up kerbs etc
He better have his Weetabix :grimacing:

Yeah got it, cage wheels and pavements don’t go together.

bubsy06:

Will do! Lol :slight_smile:

Looking forward to it, hope all goes well.

bald bloke:
Yeah got it, cage wheels and pavements don’t go together.

Especially when the wheels are broken like they are on 99.99% of cages

MrMartyn1984:
As it’s bound to have a tail lift, I take it before I take it out to drop the lift and check the load?

Sounds a daft question

Your statement proves you have common sense, your thinking ahead :smiley:

Personally I would check the tail-lift works before I leave, very embarrasing turning up to first drop and it’s dead as a dodo :open_mouth:

You won’t be able to check the load as it will be sealed. Make sure the seal number tallies with your paperwork which should ensure you’ve got the right trailer/truck. As others have said don’t worry too much about times.

When you look in the back you will see it has to compartments
left side right side the right hand side is the thin side hiding down the front of the
box will be the freezer stuff in the right hand lane behind a thing you lift up .
Don’t do what i did and outher people have done go back and say the freezer stuff was not loaded :blush: :blush: its hiding behind that thing you lift up .

From what I have seen around Warwickshire & Derbyshire, the Co-op shops are smaller than the 6 wheel rigids they use to deliver to them. They always seem to struggle to get close to the doors.

As for help, don’t count on it, most of the stores don’t have enough staff on the tills.

Is this the Co-op out of Birtley :question: depends which agency it is for

But as has been said be careful with the cages ( ask Semtex about them :unamused: )

The fridge will pos be set for you but if another driver is there ask some can be helpful & tell them you a new driver

Enjoy & good luck with it hope all goes well

Just an update.

Yesterday went well. Thrown in at the deep end as they never gave me an induction on how to use the hand held computer to scan the stuff, but a quick “I’m new it’s my first time here” to each shop and everyone was very helpful.

Transport told me to take my time and not worry at all about the times, which was great and a big help.

Really enjoyed it, so much better than sitting behind a desk with people minute watching your every movement.

So I’ll wait until the next available weekend and see what comes up. Really looking forward to getting my first artic run now :slight_smile:

Glad it went well for you, I wouldn’t worry too much about artic work yet, one step at a time. But having said that it could be easier.