First & last lorry you drove

An ‘elderly’ part time agency driver we use, was telling us about 8 wheeler Maudsleys&Mk3 AECs that he started his driving career in 50 odd years ago . Then he set off in a new i shift Volvo FM to do his run :stuck_out_tongue: , so this got me wondering about the old hands now retired, what did you start driving in & finish driving in? & were they ‘worlds’ apart?

boris:
An ‘elderly’ part time agency driver we use, was telling us about 8 wheeler Maudsleys&Mk3 AECs that he started his driving career in 50 odd years ago . Then he set off in a new i shift Volvo FM to do his run :stuck_out_tongue: , so this got me wondering about the old hands now retired, what did you start driving in & finish driving in? & were they ‘worlds’ apart?

Hopefully not quite retired, just resting but mine were, a 100hp Thames Trader and a 410hp MAN TGA :sunglasses:

Fordson V8 petrol 3t 4 wheeler- Actros 420. & lost all interest in pro driving forevah! :laughing:

Morris FG550,Bedford TK first HGV,last one Guy Warrior artic.

hi
first , bedford o type, last erf ec 11
cheers diesel.

Passed my Driving Test on an old Bow fronted Atkinson 8-wheeler with a 6LW- 112 bhp and finished on an AEC Ergo Mandator, I then left transport to go in to the Film and Broadcast TV (not driving) and never regretted it for a moment…Tony.

First lorry I drove was a military Fordson 3tonner not sure of the vintage but I joined the TA in 1964 aged seventeen.I now drive a 420 scania with a sliding skelly. PS. only? 90 weeks to go who is counting?

First lorry I drove was a Commer 2 stroke, at present I drive a Volvo FH13 but I hope its not my last ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

First lorry S type bedford last one Magnum 480.

First “S” type Bedford,last Terberg shunter.If that doesn’t count then an ERF E14.

Illegaly, a Daf FT2600, legaly M.A.N 331. Now reside in a 480 scanny (see avtar)

First was in 1967 for Manx Corporation,Isle of Man,Bedford “O Type” tipper,3.5 litre petrol engine,last was ERF “B Series” artic,240 Gardner 1982 for Smith of Maddiston,Manchester,never driven a foreign make,{bet there’s not many that can say that today}!!

Take it easy,

David :laughing:

Hiya…my first was a guy big J (F reg) and the last paying job was a 53 plate volvo fm.
i had a 3300 spacer and now a 64 mk5 mandator just for fun.
John

hiya,
Started as an army driver aged 18 AEC Matador usually pulling an ammo trailer or a large gun then stood down for a year at age 20 “too young” to drive in civvy st when old enough “to drive” first motor was a 1939 Maudslay Mikado pulling a drawbar trailer then it was all downhill from then finished up driving an Astra van but better paid, a lot.
thanks harry long retired.

Hi,First HGV was a Albion Clydsdale tractor unit, last one Ford Transcontinental :sunglasses: Then found an easier way of life :laughing:

Hi, first one was a Albion, last lorry that I owned was a FH12 & latest one that I drove was a Daf XF Superspace, hope its not the last one though.Regards Andrew.

My first lorry was similar to this one:

although it didn’t have a luton body just a plain box and belonged to a small dyeworks in Outlane, Huddersfield.

I’ve now graduated on to stuff like these:

stevecook:

although it didn’t have a luton body just a plain box and belonged to a small dyeworks in Outlane, Huddersfield.

Hi Steve, so which one would you take out of the above ? personally for me it has to start with a V and end with an O, but wish that they would go back to a more “upright cab” like the old F series,they just loose so much space with the sloping front compared with other cabs.

Well I’m not even remotely close to retirement but here’s my first and last!

First (Illegally): Bedford TK1630
First (Legally): 1990 Leyland Freighter
Last: Mercedes Actros 2546

andrew brick:

stevecook:

Hi Steve, so which one would you take out of the above ? personally for me it has to start with a V and end with an O, but wish that they would go back to a more “upright cab” like the old F series,they just loose so much space with the sloping front compared with other cabs.

Hi Andrew - Well it wouldn’t be the Austin!!
The Volvo and Scania are OK workaday motors but with confusing combinations of clutch pedal - no clutch pedal, gearstick - no gearstick and sometimes a conventional 3 over 3 range change, the Mercedes is OK apart from the seatbelt trying to saw through my neck all day. The Renault didn’t present any problems but didn’t fire me up with enthusiasm, my favourite is the MAN, a big meaty truck with loads of space, power and comfort.