First Job

Hello all
After passing my class c and spending about one and half years applying to jobs on indeed and getting no where.
I decided to sighn up to an agency, which is a problem as I need a steady income and don’t wont to give up my non driving job yet.

After I had registered with the agency they phoned me up a couple of days later and said they had a 7.5 tonne job for me.

It involved picking up the 7.5 tonner, driving a 150 miles to Liverpool, being put up in a hotel for a week as I delivered parts for a chemical works in the region. This involve getting large valves fork lifted onto my curtain sider lorry.

Anyway the job was ok in itself.
Every body I met at the factorys where friendly and ok, there where only four places to pick up parts from ,so after getting used with the routes it was pretty easy, and 0 handball.

It pretty much went like this

Sunday drove down to Liverpool, went to chemical factory and had induction, went back to hotel.

Mon pick up valves at different locations. Took about 13.5 hours supposed to about 11.

Tues get badly delayed on m6 by traffic as I was heading 80 miles north to wakefield, (got moaned at for this, as I finished late and couldn’t get valve back to chemical plant in time, it remained in the back of my lorry).

Wed Warning light came on so had to phone agency who phoned hire company, turns out I was low on ad blue. I didn’t topped up when you fuel no one told me. This delayed me as I had to go and find a garage to buy adblue , and caused me to miss a pick up. Got moaned at for this.

I sort of made up for this by agreeing to wait four hours in my lorry at wakefield and leaving very late to get back to the chemical works where people where waiting for me, 14.5 hour day.

Thurs Drove home promised a job Friday by agency only to find it cancelled (felt dissopointed).

I did enjoy the job, but what made it hard was two things.

1, I felt pressured to get things delivered and was accused of being two slow. This made me feel like a failure.
2, Having to work out when to take driving breaks, when all I wanted to do was get on with the job, I remember one time after working for 13 hours having to take a 45 minute break in a bus lay by (praying no bus was going to arrive) when all I wanted to do was go back to my hotel.
3,Being confused how to properly operate a taco graph.
4,Being at my wits end trying to figure out how to fit in and apply wtd directive breaks while being moaned at for delays.
5,Having my mobile ringing again and again on the motorways and not being able to answer it.
6,Being asked how long things were going to take when I didn’t know.
7,Being told different things by different people so I wasn’t clear what I was doing when it came to pickups.

Does it get easier in time to figure out and fit in to the job, breaks etc ?
Is it normal to be accused of being two slow by customers ?
Should you ignore moaning customers and just get on with doing your job to the best of ability and in a safe manner?
I am just paranoid that they might have complained to the agency and I wont be offered any more work.
any advice appreciated.

Whereabouts are you from?
It does get easier as route knowledge improves, especially when you realise where bottlenecks are and can avoid them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
Whereabouts are you from?
It does get easier as route knowledge improves, especially when you realise where bottlenecks are and can avoid them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for advice I am from north east.

Essentially. Yes. It gets easier. Route planning. Knowing where usual hold ups are. Forward planning for fitting breaks in etc. Having the the experience to know in advance what’s doable in a day in a time frame etc can help.

Sometimes customer expectations can be a little optimistic!!

Bear in mind also there’s a good chance someone did that job before you and got the job done ok.
If so and with the benefit of hindsight try to think back as to where you could have streamlined the job a bit and learn from your experience.

Every days a school day [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I still get moaned at for being slow. Be it my fault or a delay on site etc. and I have worked for the same company for five years.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Apart from the week in a hotel you have just described an average agency drivers week.
A couple of things stand out straight away.
As an agency driver the boss isn’t going to be fully confident in your abilities, and mebbe just needs to know where you are so he can, if he needs to, re-arrange a schedule somewhere, or even just check up on you, by calling, you should be able to answer.
Buetooth earpiece.
Mine hurt like blazes for the first 3 days. It’s ok now, me ears gone dead :slight_smile:
Get a data plan for your phone, at least 4 Gb data and all you can eat minutes and txts. I use a plan from 3. That way you can phone clients and say “Hi, Driver from *******, 4 pallets to pick up. I’m on the Ind estate outside the Blue Riband cafe, where exactly are you”? And not be bothered about the cost.
Or, use google maps on your phone (In ear directions, bluetoothed up, remember?) to get you exactly to the door.

Delays and such.
Using a satnav? If so, shell out for Traffic Updates. Not so bothered about speedcams cos I don’t speed and neither should you.
Just today, having traffic updates saved me about an hour overall and that’s the difference between having someone phone you to ask where TF are you and you pulling in to the yard with a smile on your face before they even THINK about picking up the phone…
Satnav will also tell you an approximate arrival time at your destination. A quick glance, while on the bluetooth earpiece to your boss, and you can tell him. Add on a bit of time for safety :wink:
If he’s asking about the time spent at the clients place, just go and ask the client, be confident, polite, and ask for information. Then phone the boss and tell him.
Depending on the type of person/personality you are you will either always feel pressured, feel pressured but be able to handle it, or just not give a crap about it, at the end of the day…the job gets done when it gets done.
As long as you know that you are doing your best, that’s all they can ask.
If they say where TF have you been, just tell em. Held up on the A6, bad traffic there. Stuck behind an artic doing a 20 point turn in a back alley, Had to take a 15, or 30, or 45. They should NOT get annoyed at that. If they do…■■■■ em.

Tacho…I’m still confused.
I work it like this…I know I’m not going to be doing 4.5 hours driving before I have been at work for 6 hours. Multi drop, within 15 miles, and long waits. Card in at 07:30 on the dot. So all I do is take a 45 just before the 6 hours is up I.E before 13:30. . That resets the 4.5 driving time and the 6 hours WTD requirement. (I hope :smiley: )

What are the clients actually moaning about? Your arrival time? Be polite, sorry about that, traffic is a nightmare today etc.
If they’re saying that you are working too slow while you are there, be polite, explain that the job takes time. Then slow down even more, whingeing ■■■■■■■■■ :smiley:

Agency driving, you’ll not really have time to learn routes tbh, I don’t, anyway.
As long as you’re doing your best, driving competently, safely, in a professional manner, you’re doing ok.
Remember, barring good local knowledge or multiple repetitions of the same journey…the satnav is king! :wink:

Thanks for the advice everyone I think Bluetooth , smartphone and decent satnav are a must .

Plus’s I think I just need to stop getting stressed out so much.

Tseal:
7,Being told different things by different people so I wasn’t clear what I was doing when it came to pickups.

Before you set off get all the information you can about where you are going, what you are doing, and what is expected of you.

Last night I finished a 3 week stint for a company in Park Royal.
Drop offs all had the right paperwork, clear instructions, and were no problem.
My very last job for em, last night, was 2 pick ups, one of 2 pallets, one of 3 pallets, both in the same area, no probs, or so I thought.
I went to the office for the paperwork and was handed a post-it note with 2 postcodes handwritten on it.
Next to the top one was " 2", next to the bottom one was “3”.
That was it.
No names, no streets/roads, numbers, phone numbers, nada.

I stood there waiting for the TMs attention. When he realised I wasn’t going anywhere he looked at me and raised his eyebrows a little.
I said, I need more info, please. Company names, addresses, at the minimum. And contact phone numbers if you have them. Thanks.

Got the company names, roads, and phone numbers.

First pick up, 2 pallets, gates closed, locked up, no one there.
Phoned contact number, guy came and loaded me two pallets. Job done.

second pick up, not right address/postcode. Phoned contact number, found the place, guy came and loaded 3 pallets. Job done.

Without that information I asked for before I left I would have been on the phone to TM and he would have had to phone client. As it was, I got the job done with no hassle.

Information is king, as is the satnav :slight_smile:

steviespain:

Tseal:

Before you set off get all the information you can about where you are going, what you are doing, and what is expected of you.

Last night I finished a 3 week stint for a company in Park Royal.
Drop offs all had the right paperwork, clear instructions, and were no problem.
My very last job for em, last night, was 2 pick ups, one of 2 pallets, one of 3 pallets, both in the same area, no probs, or so I thought.
I went to the office for the paperwork and was handed a post-it note with 2 postcodes handwritten on it.
Next to the top one was " 2", next to the bottom one was “3”.
That was it.
No names, no streets/roads, numbers, phone numbers, nada.

I stood there waiting for the TMs attention. When he realised I wasn’t going anywhere he looked at me and raised his eyebrows a little.
I said, I need more info, please. Company names, addresses, at the minimum. And contact phone numbers if you have them. Thanks.

Got the company names, roads, and phone numbers.

First pick up, 2 pallets, gates closed, locked up, no one there.
Phoned contact number, guy came and loaded me two pallets. Job done.

second pick up, not right address/postcode. Phoned contact number, found the place, guy came and loaded 3 pallets. Job done.

Without that information I asked for before I left I would have been on the phone to TM and he would have had to phone client. As it was, I got the job done with no hassle.

Information is king, as is the satnav :slight_smile:

I agree I couldn’t have got the job done without asking for advice on routes ect. There was one address that didn’t appear on my satnav . so I had to go somewhere near and
with the help of the Tm draw a little map with my notebook and pen.
I found communication a notebook and satnav essential for the job.

One little wrinkle I picked up last week was using google maps to get you right to the door.
Some of my drops have just had a postcode and a company name. Sometimes the satnav will have the company name in its memory but most times not.
I’ve found that even small, tiny, 1 trading unit on an industrial estate, little one man band firms, will have some sort of web presence.
So, it’s a google search for the name, on your newly aquired smartphone with a data plan, find its website, there it will usually have a “Directions” button.
That opens google maps.
Use satnav to get you to the postcode and then listen to google maps, on your new bluetooth earpiece, for the final destination.
That method has helped me on probably about 4 drops this week alone.

steviespain:
One little wrinkle I picked up last week was using google maps to get you right to the door.
Some of my drops have just had a postcode and a company name. Sometimes the satnav will have the company name in its memory but most times not.
I’ve found that even small, tiny, 1 trading unit on an industrial estate, little one man band firms, will have some sort of web presence.
So, it’s a google search for the name, on your newly aquired smartphone with a data plan, find its website, there it will usually have a “Directions” button.
That opens google maps.
Use satnav to get you to the postcode and then listen to google maps, on your new bluetooth earpiece, for the final destination.
That method has helped me on probably about 4 drops this week alone.

One thing I very quickly learned in my five days in a 7.5 tonner is try not to get stuck . even a small lorry could be a problem in a overcrowded indusUstrial estate. So I would often get out and walk around finding my destination. Sussing out how I would turn around. A bit time consuming but effective.

A few things:

1. There is no too long or too short. Your job is to deliver stuff safely. If you get it there without damaging it or anything else the words they are looking for is “cheers” or “thank you”.

2. Don’t take breaks in bus stops. It’s totally out of order to bus drivers. Relax, slow down and take them in plenty of time. It also makes you look like a knob to the public.

3. You are the captain and you set the rules. Not the company; not the agency. You are responsible so you control your working day,

Nice one on the week away! You have done something I’ve not done. Kudos for having the balls to accept the job.

sammym:
A few things:

1. There is no too long or too short. Your job is to deliver stuff safely. If you get it there without damaging it or anything else the words they are looking for is “cheers” or “thank you”.

2. Don’t take breaks in bus stops. It’s totally out of order to bus drivers. Relax, slow down and take them in plenty of time. It also makes you look like a knob to the public.

3. You are the captain and you set the rules. Not the company; not the agency. You are responsible so you control your working day,

Nice one on the week away! You have done something I’ve not done. Kudos for having the balls to accept the job.

Yes that is the attitude I basically drove around living in fear of being told off but I really need to get over that.

I just worry about not getting agency work.

Tseal:

sammym:
A few things:

Yes that is the attitude I basically drove around living in fear of being told off but I really need to get over that.

Sammy is correct in what he says.

How much work will you get if you rush, have an accident and damage the truck?

If you don’t take your breaks, get caught and fined how many shifts are you working for “free” to pay it? Same principle if you got a ticket for stopping in the bus stop.

Once you have some experience you will start getting more options. Even this week will make a difference as it shows that you can take a truck out and bring it back. The first job is always the hardest

Tseal:

You were me. Look at my posts to see the silly things I did. Look at the abuse I got. Some/most of it correct. Driving dangerous trucks, skirting and at sometimes breaking the law. Getting into numerous accidents. Running bent…(never really went into that on here). The full 9 yards of stupidity and ridiculousness.

Here is a bit of advice you will work out eventually like I did - or you will take onboard now. You have a lot more value than you think. You are a more valuable commodity than you understand. Crap companies will want/expect the stuff I just suggested. Good companies will sack you for it - and rightly so. The good companies are more enjoyable to work for - and they pay a lot better.

My little brother is going to be doing his class 2 and 1 soon - and I’ll give him all this advice. If you are not sure stop. If you are late chill. If you are lost ask. If you are unsure ask. If you are annoyed take 5 mins to have a coffee/smoke. If you spoken to like dirt then rise above it and look down at the ignorant fool who doesn’t have the class to speak to people properly. And drive the truck like it was your daughter coming around the next corner or out of the side road.

Oh and get over the fear - jobs come and go. Agencies go hot and cold. But as long as you are okay they come more easily - a licence matures like a fine wine, with age it gets more valuable. But the start of your driving career should be the best, it’s all exciting and new. So enjoy yourself.

sammym:

Tseal:

You were me. Look at my posts to see the silly things I did. Look at the abuse I got. Some/most of it correct. Driving dangerous trucks, skirting and at sometimes breaking the law. Getting into numerous accidents. Running bent…(never really went into that on here). The full 9 yards of stupidity and ridiculousness.

Here is a bit of advice you will work out eventually like I did - or you will take onboard now. You have a lot more value than you think. You are a more valuable commodity than you understand. Crap companies will want/expect the stuff I just suggested. Good companies will sack you for it - and rightly so. The good companies are more enjoyable to work for - and they pay a lot better.

My little brother is going to be doing his class 2 and 1 soon - and I’ll give him all this advice. If you are not sure stop. If you are late chill. If you are lost ask. If you are unsure ask. If you are annoyed take 5 mins to have a coffee/smoke. If you spoken to like dirt then rise above it and look down at the ignorant fool who doesn’t have the class to speak to people properly. And drive the truck like it was your daughter coming around the next corner or out of the side road.

Oh and get over the fear - jobs come and go. Agencies go hot and cold. But as long as you are okay they come more easily - a licence matures like a fine wine, with age it gets more valuable. But the start of your driving career should be the best, it’s all exciting and new. So enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the advice I am going to apply this. I need to take my time rather then rushing. I had one near miss and it was because I was panicking about not getting in lane on a motorway because i was late.Imagine what would have happened if I rammed a car.

kcrussell25:

Tseal:

sammym:
A few things:

Sammy is correct in what he says.

How much work will you get if you rush, have an accident and damage the truck?

If you don’t take your breaks, get caught and fined how many shifts are you working for “free” to pay it? Same principle if you got a ticket for stopping in the bus stop.

Once you have some experience you will start getting more options. Even this week will make a difference as it shows that you can take a truck out and bring it back. The first job is always the hardest

Appreciate the advice as ime new I need to take it slowly at first.