First job Tonight

Peter Smythe:

For those newbies who are a bit windy about training in an artic as opposed to a W&D this is a perfect example of why you should consider binning the idea of doing it in an “easy W&D”. Do it in an artic and you will be better prepared for the real world where the vast majority of trucks are artics not W&D. The principles of driving them are exactly the same!

…or take the easier route of w+d with a GOOD trainer who will also teach you how to couple and uncouple an artic.

Like has been said - - the principles of driving them is exactly the same. So no worries there then. :laughing: :laughing:

Peter, I can understand why training companies use W&D. Two vehicles for the price of one is an obvious attraction but how many of these lads will end up driving W&D? And now that the vast majority of agency drivers or blokes looking for a start with a bigger company are required to have an assessment drive I can understand why they would struggle with that, seeing as they lack experience, are not familiar with the kit or how to drive them and to top it all they have the pressure of an assessment as well! You can teach them the principles of driving articulated vehicles with W&D but can you honestly claim that using them is the best preparation for newbies in their quest to become class1 drivers in todays world?

My comments are aimed at training companies in general, not you specifically Peter.

Well. After my night off the other night agency rang up yesterday for 1 more nights work. Worked all night. Went to bed at 08:30. Got up around half one with missed calles from the agency. They’ve got me on the next four nights. And when I rang they were made up I rang back and said I’m a life saver.I’m glad of the xp I’m getting too!

Peter, I can understand why training companies use W&D. Two vehicles for the price of one is an obvious attraction but how many of these lads will end up driving W&D? And now that the vast majority of agency drivers or blokes looking for a start with a bigger company are required to have an assessment drive I can understand why they would struggle with that, seeing as they lack experience, are not familiar with the kit or how to drive them and to top it all they have the pressure of an assessment as well! You can teach them the principles of driving articulated vehicles with W&D but can you honestly claim that using them is the best preparation for newbies in their quest to become class1 drivers in todays world?

My comments are aimed at training companies in general, not you specifically Peter.

This was so nicely put that it deserves a proper reply. I’ll try to answer each point in turn although it has to be said I’ve done this many times. So here goes again!

Yes, 2 vehicles for the price of one. Very true that this does keep the already steep running costs down. This has a couple of benefits for the candidate: lower rates than would otherwise have to be charged and, generally, much newer vehicles to train on.

How many will end up driving W&D? Who knows? W&D is becoming more common on UK roads but I will accept that the majority of “artics” are “proper” artics. (I think you know what I mean!)

The pre-employment assessment drive. Yes, it’s horrific. Regardless of what you trained on, be sure that the vehicle you’re presented with will be different. Gearboxes, or lack of, are possibly the biggest thing next to the difference between w&d and artic. But it is a fact, and I’ve proved this over many many years, that a person trained well on a w&d will be fine with an artic. Not as tidy as someone familiar with artic - but safe. And that’s the main thing. They are just as used to the length. Coupling/uncoupling is different - as we know. But the only difference is on the actual coupling. The proceedures are the same (the order of events). Let’s remember that not all artics couple the same. Some need split coupling, there are different types of safety catch, some training vehicles still have cable trailer park brake. So there’s plenty of other stuff to worry about.
A visit to a truckstop during training soon sorts out the coupling difference. Many of our candidates go for these assessments and end up with the job so it can’t be all wrong.

I do not claim (never have done - never will do) that this training is

the best preparation for newbies in their quest to become class1 drivers in todays world?

The hard fact, IMHO, is that no matter what configuration is used for licence acquisision, no driver is 100% prepared for the world that awaits them. Until folk realise that so much of this job is learned “on the job” this will always be an issue. It’s our job, as reputable trainers, to prepare the candidate in all respects to the best of our ability.

The fact is that new drivers have a lower accident rate than experienced drivers. They cause few problems when they start work as they don’t bring baggage with them. I know of more than one transport manager who favour newbies. And yes, they do pay them the same. The reasoning is that the job takes a bit longer to do, there are issues with routing and loading but the level of care is greater. Overall, the newbie can sometimes be favoured over an experienced driver. I know this isn’t what experienced drivers want to hear. Sorry about that.

As always, I wish everyone training and preparing for tests, the very best of luck. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So can anyone recommend a firm around the Liverpool/Knowsley area for refresher courses?

I’ve booked with wiganlgv-pcvtrainingcentre.co.uk/. 4 hours £160.

Well here’s a turn-up. Eddie stobarts rang today. Want me to come in for an assessment for class 1. Good thing I’ve got that refresher booked next week. :smiley:

Gavtheskav:
When I got back the depo another nice chap had noted about my shift change on sun and said that he will ask if he can give me a little hour refresher on Monday in the arctic. :smiley:

So looking forward to that

Anyways. Been a bit tired with getting in at half eight in the morning. But working at night is good for boobies eh? :open_mouth:

Oh by the way. Driver said that the arctic is easier to drive than the wag-n-drag is that true?

In a word Yes, but it does different things, the pivot points are different so your reversing may not be up to scratch to start with. The Artic is shorter and doesnt have the rear tail swing of a drag. 2 different animals.

I think it easier for a rigid driver to adapt to an artic, then the other way round

Haha. Just realised My auto spell checker said boobies. :open_mouth: I meant noobies. :smiley:

Oh well. Hope this refresh next week goes well. I’ll keep you posted.

hope it goes well for your interview

always ask questions if you are not sure on anything, have to learn somewhere.

as for the agency, you scored plus points with them by doing the work they asked for,
if you turn down work early on with an agency, they will soon put you on the bottom of the list
for people to call.

but sounds like you got it sorted :sunglasses:

Well, done 4 hours refresher the other day in a proper arctic. It went well and I did need it. No probs with couple/uncoupling. Road driving was no problem either, got used to that strait away. (it was a 4 over 4 box with a spliter switch). Most of my reversing was ok until we started doing tighter bay reversing where we “imagined real world tight reversing” and I found that harder. Most of the times I had to shunt or try again as my posititing was all wrong.

Glad I done it now as it has gave me confidence for my interview at stobarts next week. And also where I’m working now they are gonna Esses me at the end of the month too.

Well I had my interview and assessment drive at stobarts today (widnes) and I got the job. Wow. Absolutely made up. Drive was good. Reversing the trailer was slow but good the assessor said. :smiley:

Good lad. Congrats! :slight_smile:

when is the interview pal i just been taken on by stobarts mysef if there is anythin u might want to know il b happy to help a fellow newbie i was there for 2 n half hrs myself never had a interview as long ha ha

Gavtheskav:
Well I had my interview and assessment drive at stobarts today (widnes) and I got the job. Wow. Absolutely made up. Drive was good. Reversing the trailer was slow but good the assessor said. :smiley:

when u start im up at widness a week on monday or my first day :smiley:

Not too sure about the start date. They said they will ring me next week too see if the shifts I’ve applied for are ok.

It’s all go at the moment though. Yesterday the place where I’ve been doing class 2 work for had me do class 1 assessment. Wow. 2 and a half hours driving an artic round st Helens, Warrington, and surrounding areas. I was ok. Asseser said I need to be more forward planing sometimes. Then it was back to the the yard for reversing. Found that a bit harder. But he said experience is gonna is the only way I’m gonna get better. He said he has put my name forward to do class 1 work next week. :smiley:

Well that wee investment looks like it’s paid off! Well done Gav!

Gavtheskav:
Not too sure about the start date. They said they will ring me next week too see if the shifts I’ve applied for are ok.

It’s all go at the moment though. Yesterday the place where I’ve been doing class 2 work for had me do class 1 assessment. Wow. 2 and a half hours driving an artic round st Helens, Warrington, and surrounding areas. I was ok. Asseser said I need to be more forward planing sometimes. Then it was back to the the yard for reversing. Found that a bit harder. But he said experience is gonna is the only way I’m gonna get better. He said he has put my name forward to do class 1 work next week. :smiley:

will put u in good stead for when u start at stobarts pal i aint touched one since i passed my test all about to change very soon though still slighty nervous just want to get out n get my head down n into my rythem a s a p

Thanks. Thing that worries me though is when you pull into any kind of yard is trying to decide your reverse “route”. My asseror was saying I’m making life diferculd with my reversing. “just get your trailer strait to back strait in to the bay” but its all in the preparation isn’t it.

yea it is pal its all about knowin were to put your cab n if u can just do a straight reverse even better but there is always gonna times when u get a blind side reverse i was taught lots of little movements nice n slowly when reversin im not lookin forward to goin to a r d c n havin to reverse in front of plenty of experienced drivers :open_mouth: