First job Tonight

Got my first job tonight after passing my hgv a few weeks ago. :smiley: it’s agency and they have four nights work class 2 carrying news papers to 1 drop off. Absolutely chuffed.

Hi Gav,

My best tip to you is that… You only get one chance to make a first impression. :wink:

So, if you’re not sure about something, then ASK!!

Good luck mate, and please let us know how it goes. :smiley:

Good luck mate hope it all goes well as someone who made this mistake on my first trip out make sure your fuel tank is full !!! :blush:

seriously all the best dont rush anything and you will be fine

Jen x

Gavtheskav:
Got my first job tonight after passing my hgv a few weeks ago. :smiley: it’s agency and they have four nights work class 2 carrying news papers to 1 drop off. Absolutely chuffed.

is it for cava ?

Above all enjoy it.

Its a great feeling getting through the first one.

how did it go any stories for us :wink:

Jen x

white van:

Gavtheskav:

is it for cava ?

you mean ceva? :slight_smile:

Well Gav, how did it go please?

Well. 2 nights done. No probs with the class 2 MAN truck. I love that it’s auto. Well better than the clunky hard to move range change I learned on. :slight_smile:

Yep it’s ceva! You get the points

First night. Never used side curtains before ( well it is my first job) so I asked. No probs

After 20 mins driving felt right at home.

Few junction closures on m62 & m60. But all those years taxi driving have paid off.

Got in the office last night and the said that on Sunday I’m in a class one!
I panicked and said that I’ve only got experience in a wag & drag. That wasn’t a problem for them though they just switched me over to class 2.

So got on with my shift
It was Preston>Scunthorpe. Transport manager wasn’t happy because I was a new face for them up there and was trying to give me a shorter job. No probs though done it in time. He asked if I wanted the route. I had already sat-naved it and google mapped it. So I was sound.

When I got back the depo another nice chap had noted about my shift change on sun and said that he will ask if he can give me a little hour refresher on Monday in the arctic. :smiley:

So looking forward to that

Anyways. Been a bit tired with getting in at half eight in the morning. But working at night is good for boobies eh? :open_mouth:

Oh by the way. Driver said that the arctic is easier to drive than the wag-n-drag is that true?

Also driving over the m62 past saddleworth was shocker with that wind last night. :open_mouth:
My lorry is limited to 55 but I went down to between 40-45 when it was at it’s worst. There was one of those really high b&m trucks in front of me and it was struggling to stay in lane.

Nice one Gav. :smiley:

When you didn’t post after the first night, I thought you were going there and back in 1st gear to save wearing out the rest of them. :wink:

I’m glad you’ve got that first all-important run under your belt, then I see that they’ve had you back for more, so that’s great news!! :grimacing:

Now the real learning (and fun) begins, so listen, watch and learn, but most importantly if there’s something you’re not sure about, then ASK!! :smiley:

There are two schools of thought on W&Ds Vs. Artics, but I do see the point that the other driver makes, so if the firm are going to allow you to have a go in the artic, then I reckon you can only benefit from the experience. Good luck and please take it easy!! :smiley:

just done five nights work in the class 2 wagon and now they want me in the class1, but ive not got any practical experience in an artic, as i passed in a wag and drag. does any one know where i can get a refresher in the liverpool, knowsley area?

Good reading mate, looking forward to reading more and maybe seeing some pictures? :stuck_out_tongue:

Gavtheskav:
Well. 2 nights done. No probs with the class 2 MAN truck. I love that it’s auto. Well better than the clunky hard to move range change I learned on. :slight_smile:

Yep it’s ceva! You get the points

First night. Never used side curtains before ( well it is my first job) so I asked. No probs

After 20 mins driving felt right at home.

Few junction closures on m62 & m60. But all those years taxi driving have paid off.

Got in the office last night and the said that on Sunday I’m in a class one!
I panicked and said that I’ve only got experience in a wag & drag. That wasn’t a problem for them though they just switched me over to class 2.

So got on with my shift
It was Preston>Scunthorpe. Transport manager wasn’t happy because I was a new face for them up there and was trying to give me a shorter job. No probs though done it in time. He asked if I wanted the route. I had already sat-naved it and google mapped it. So I was sound.

When I got back the depo another nice chap had noted about my shift change on sun and said that he will ask if he can give me a little hour refresher on Monday in the arctic. :smiley:

So looking forward to that

Anyways. Been a bit tired with getting in at half eight in the morning. But working at night is good for boobies eh? :open_mouth:

Oh by the way. Driver said that the arctic is easier to drive than the wag-n-drag is that true?

Take the opportunity ffs! Don’t bottle it now or you’ll never get out there on class1! The principles are exactly the same, do not worry about it! Just use every bit of road when making turns, until you get used to it. You can’t go too wide. By all means take a refresher on an artic but the long and the short of it is it’s time to face up to it! Good luck! :grimacing:

Go for it take your time ( as you dont have a Russian gearbox :laughing: as I was told ) & remember what you have been taught trust me some of this will come back

Sorry forgot to say. Management turned that driver down to give me a taster. Oh well. Gonna get my exp in this class 2 for now. In the mean time I’m just looking for a little taster in artic. Also I’ve been reading the notes on coupling/uncoupling for arctic. Just a littlle bit different than w&d but practical exp will get me there. Fingers crossed. Last nights run was down to worscester was great. Although these tacos are a pain. :laughing: not used to that kind of stuff driving a cab. :smiley:

Go and do a short course to familiarise yourself with uncoupling/coupling a trailer ASAP. Get a bit of driving in too. Then when you go back to wherever you’re working tell them what you’ve done and would welcome the chance to do any class1 work that comes up.
For those newbies who are a bit windy about training in an artic as opposed to a W&D this is a perfect example of why you should consider binning the idea of doing it in an “easy W&D”. Do it in an artic and you will be better prepared for the real world where the vast majority of trucks are artics not W&D. The principles of driving them are exactly the same!

Deffo. Gonna take any opportunity to get in one. I have been watching the arctic drivers doing the uncoupling/coupling and taking everything in. They all say. First priority check & always recheck that handbrake! :open_mouth:

For those newbies who are a bit windy about training in an artic as opposed to a W&D this is a perfect example of why you should consider binning the idea of doing it in an “easy W&D”. Do it in an artic and you will be better prepared for the real world where the vast majority of trucks are artics not W&D. The principles of driving them are exactly the same!

…or take the easier route of w+d with a GOOD trainer who will also teach you how to couple and uncouple an artic.

Like has been said - - the principles of driving them is exactly the same. So no worries there then. :laughing: :laughing:

So 6 nights done and all is going well. I’ve been Stoke, Scunthorpe, Preston, Birmingham (wow got a bit lost there) Wales. Nothing too taxing as it’s night driving. Got a night off now so I’m gonna chill tonight.