First Job Tomorrow!

Hi Guys,

Ive got my first job tomorrow, got a call from a company i rang last week and they said can you start tomorrow?! LOL :smiley:

Im really excited as its something ive always wanted to do and getting out there on my own is something ive wanted to do since i started my training!!

Ill be driving a Renault Premium if i remember correctly with a slap over gearbox, and that will be the first slap over ive used so any help or advice anyone can give me id appriciate (ive read the gearbox sticky mind)
Any tips or tricks on a Renault Premium would be helpful! :stuck_out_tongue: I want to limit my noob mistakes as much as i can! Does anyone know what sort of tacho’s are in them? Obviously as its a old beaut its not going to be digi but if anyone knows anything about it, its all helpful. - It will very probably be so obvious on the day that i cant miss it but pre-warned is pre-armed!

Not a clue where im going yet, its only days so i should be back at the yard before my hours run out (unless im really that bad :laughing: :laughing: )

Also, as far as one can say, as it obviously depends on road conditions etc etc, how far from the midlands could you get to, and back, within your 9 hours?

Sorry for all the noob questions as well!!

Cheers
Jas

jas07:
Also, as far as one can say, as it obviously depends on road conditions etc etc, how far from the midlands could you get to, and back, within your 9 hours?

Sorry for all the noob questions as well!!

Cheers
Jas

How about 4.5 hours :wink:

Good luck on the new job :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

How far :question: - maybe Norwich or Weymouth :question: :question: :question: - been a while since I did these trips and general conditions out there have changed

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Ok i really didnt word that well did i LOL

ROG - Cheers mate! Im searching youtube now trying to find videos of Renault Premium’s :laughing:

currently it takes me 2 1/2 hours to get back from Preston to Atherstone sat on the limiter most of the way back. You could feasibly get to the scottish border before you would possibly have ti turn back to comply with the Drivers Hours

Cheers Jon! Good luck with your HPT on Thursday btw mate! Was gonna PM you today!

Jas
I can get to Carlisle in 4.5 hours from our yard in Cannock, if that helps

and if its anything like the Premium weve got the tacho is one of them slide out jobs like a cd player

Yer thanks mate that does help, it just gives me an idea like you know!

Didnt know theres so many people on here from round my way! Ive seen about 4 chaps from Cannock now!

Also Guys, with the slap over, i presume its the same as the 4 over 4 as in you can start in 3rd? Nothing majorly different about them other than the fact is a slap over as apposed to a switch?

Think the splitter is on the left hand side of the gear stick. Easy enough slap-over to use. You’ll probably want to get the thing going in 2nd, it really depends on the load.

There’s a gear position indicator that comes on after you’ve lifted off the pedal. Can’ rember if it showed in the low range though (might have been faulty) So you might see 6, or 6’ depending on the splitter position.

Parking brake to the left side of the seat (pain in the arse, prefer them on the dash).

Tacho chart will be a tray loader, some info on driving time / breaks may appear on the main dashboard display.

Only driven them a couple of times last week (3 different units on 3 runs) …and can’t remember much about it :blush:

Thanks Mac! Really Appriciate that! How old was yours? Mine is gonna be a 96 model so shes quite old! Not sure they had displays back in them days! :laughing: :laughing:

Just as an after thought, there is a dashboard display as mentioned that tells you the driving time etc. but dont rely on that alone, it is only a guide.

jas07:
Thanks Mac! Really Appriciate that! How old was yours? Mine is gonna be a 96 model so shes quite old! Not sure they had displays back in them days! :laughing: :laughing:

The one pictured was an 2004, the two were 2004 too.

One had a nice crunchy box so required a be of double de-clutching to keep things quiet. The other two weren’t too bad.

As Wheel Nut says, all timers are only a guide and it’s best not to run too close to the wire.

Yer im not gonna run close to it mate, gonna try and pull up 15 mins before hand until i get used to things.

Yours was crunchy and its an 04…8 years newer than the one im getting… :open_mouth: gulp :laughing: :laughing:

you can make it to the south coast , southampton and portsmouth, within 4.5 hours if you are a little bit lucky with the traffic.

dont forget if you do get close to the 9 and you are not far from home you can take another 45 and have another hour to get back.

good luck tomorrow mate and keep it smooth.