First Drive :

Well how did it go ?

To be honest this morning was a bit of a blur the agency rang me at 10 in a bit of flap could i get myself to DPD asap okay not a prob i could be there in 20 mins , would only be 7 1/2 tonner , again not a problem I say remembering the more flexible i am the more they will ring me ( to be honest was relieved as smaller veh less problems for my first day)

Finally started off at 1230 :unamused: so much for panic

Had drops in Theale Basingstoke Farnborough and Farnham my first drop being the worst and nearly had me thinking I dont think Im cut out for this as the place I had to get to had 6`6 width restriction both accesses and yes I will admit was close to tears as manager was trying to guide me in and every way he sent me could not access turning a 360 not nice and asked a nice taxi driver to make sure i did not hit traffic light pole :cry: felt a right arse, but eventually did the drop and think to be honest I wanted it all to go so perfect and when it did not felt a bit shell shocked , but the day got better and most of the rest of the day not too bad except I fell out of the truck right on my rear end (quick look around to check no one saw) phew no one did , sore bum now but that will teach me not to rush :wink:

All in all feel better now and looking forward to doing it again as know what to expect , so thats my first drive it can only get better :stuck_out_tongue:

Jen x

Congratulations!

Don’t worry about mishaps, I have em nearly daily; I’m living proof that men can be blonde too!

If you’ve not got one, a truckers atlas can help but bridges, weight restrictions etc are a common problem, you did the best thing and asked for help; tm’s often know the way round such things from past experience.

Hope your bum feels better soon :wink: at least you didn’t do yourself any real harm.

Jennie:
my first drop being the worst and nearly had me thinking I dont think Im cut out for this

I think most new drivers have moments like that, I know I certainly did on more than one occasion but as in your case the good bits definitely outweigh the bad. One of the benefits of driving for agencies is that you will drive all sorts of trucks and all sorts of sizes. At first you might be a bit unsure about them (will it fit, can I turn it in here etc) but after a couple of weeks it will get easier and easier. Try to remember that even the bad bits all count towards your experience and next time you go there you will know exactly what to expect and won’t worry half as much.

I drove my first truck @ 14 & when I got my brief @ 17 I thought I was Capt.Magic. But when I first got into general haulage I spent oodles of time covering up my mistakes. Best plan is to blame the whole world but yourself. When you start you will make mistakes. After a while you will become experienced & mistakes won’t happen. Then you will become complacent & the mistakes start again. Anyway, stick with it & you will enjoy it. Try to pick jobs that don’t require too much ■■■■■■■ ( Freightwise ) or you will do yer back in like 90% of the old hands. Good luck- keep us all posted. :smiley:

Jennie:
my first drop being the worst and nearly had me thinking I dont think Im cut out for this

But you did it, nothing got damaged and nobody died and the next time you have a similar situation you will know you can do it. If it had all been plain sailing you may have got a bit ahead of yourself thinking this is a piece of cake, so in fact this was a good thing just to keep you grounded a little. Every day will get that bit easier and you will be nailing situations like that in next to no time and getting out of the cab with a certain cut to your jib. :wink:

The first day is always the worst Jennie , but you got through it alright & tomorrow youll have a better day & your confidence will soon grow on. Your doing just fine & if you find yourself getting stressed over something -well just take a couple of deep breaths & get a level head back on your shoulders, youll be fine :smiley:

Congratulations

Evrybodys first goes like that but hey no damage other than to your rear end, on that point take your time your back is precious and too many times landing on your bum will do damage.

It will get easier from now on

all the best Rick

Congratulations on completing your first days drive :smiley:

To be honest Jennie driving in the road transport industry is riddled with problems you just learn to get round them over them or ignore them if appropriate, the main thing is that you learn from them :wink: