first 7.5t job

Hi,

Got my first 7.5t job driving removal lorries (got it through driver hire). Vehicle wise I’m expecting something along the lines of a merc atego, and I will be using a tacho obviously. This is the only part of it I’m not entirely sure about as I’ve been told to expect 3 or 4 collections and deliveries a day, so when stopping off for a collection and delivery, should I set it as other work or poa? And would this count towards driving hours or not? Last thing I want to do is mess up and get raped by vosa! I’m sure I won’t end up out of time but you can’t be too careful. The job is for transpeed removals in redhill so if anyone has worked here before then is love to hear of any tips etc to make the week go by with no problems.

Thanks,
Charlie

Driving time is only recorded when the wheels are actually moving - the digi tacho is not quite that exact but you get my drift

If you are working then it is other work (cross hammers) but if not working or driving I would use break (bed)
If you get paid for breaks then forget POA

Many agencies will deduct 45 mins from your shift so you have at least 45 mins of break but will pay for all other breaks - check because not all do that

As your jumping out the cab press 1 on the tacho which should set it to an ‘X’ looking icon on the screen.

-Analogue trucks go into break mode when they stop.
-Digital trucks go into other work when they stop

Assuming your in an analogue, By pressing 1 (Your driver 1) it sticks it onto other work. Press it again and it should put it into break.

If it was me, I wouldn’t press anything - I would just let it go into break if it’s jumping in and out (i.e multidrop) and then take an actual 45min break when needed.

Been pulled 1000’s of times and never an issue.

This

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … s_0511.pdf

Thanks that’s cleared it up regarding breaks and driving hours.

stagedriver:
If it was me, I wouldn’t press anything - I would just let it go into break if it’s jumping in and out (i.e multidrop)

You are lucky then because anyone with a bit of common sense could work out that it was illegal

Perhaps those that stopped you and checked, decided that breaks of under 15 do not count for tacho breaks and so were not bothered … :unamused:

stagedriver:
As your jumping out the cab press 1 on the tacho which should set it to an ‘X’ looking icon on the screen.

-Analogue trucks go into break mode when they stop.
-Digital trucks go into other work when they stop

Assuming your in an analogue, By pressing 1 (Your driver 1) it sticks it onto other work. Press it again and it should put it into break.

If it was me, I wouldn’t press anything - I would just let it go into break if it’s jumping in and out (i.e multidrop) and then take an actual 45min break when needed.

No that is completely wrong. Other work is other work. Break is break. Providing you set it to other work after you put the tacho in, (if it doesn’t do it anyway) you shouldn’t have to keep changing it. You should of had a stack of infringments for incorrect mode change by now.

OP When you jump in the lorry fill out a chart, name, start location, date, reg, milage. Press eject wait and the tray will come out, put it in and and make sure you slide the disk under the plastic lip and then on to the lobe, push the trap back in, then press the button with 1 on untill you get to other work. Leave it on this untill you have your break. When your driving you’ll see the steering wheel picture up then when you stop it flicks back to other work.

OP

From what I’ve read, is that I should put the tacho on to other work when loading and unloading, and break when I’m stopping for a break (obvious really!). :unamused:
What i wasn’t sure of was wether putting it on other work would detract from the driving time, which it doesn’t from what I can see. So i could do an hours driving, spend an hour loading (on other work), then do three and a half hours of driving, then the 45 min break, then carry on until I’ve used up the other 4.5 hours driving, and then take the 11 hours daily rest. I don’t think ill have an issue with daily rest, we’ll see how the week plans out.
If i get stuck then I’ll probably be back here asking the obvious again!

Edit: thanks saaamon for that bit, didn’t realise the tacho changes to driving by itself. Learn something new every day.

charliebear:
From what I’ve read, is that I should put the tacho on to other work when loading and unloading, and break when I’m stopping for a break (obvious really!). :unamused:
What i wasn’t sure of was wether putting it on other work would detract from the driving time, which it doesn’t from what I can see. So i could do an hours driving, spend an hour loading (on other work), then do three and a half hours of driving, then the 45 min break, then carry on until I’ve used up the other 4.5 hours driving, and then take the 11 hours daily rest. I don’t think ill have an issue with daily rest, we’ll see how the week plans out.

Edit: thanks saaamon for that bit, didn’t realise the tacho changes to driving by itself. Learn something new every day.

No problem mate, i didnt have a clue at first, so much for the intial cpc :unamused:

Try planning your day so you know you have some where decent to stop for break, nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of nowhere, without any food, drink or mags etc. Remember not to work more than 6 hours without a break, say if you havn’t done 4.5hours driving by then.

Saaamon:

charliebear:

No problem mate, i didnt have a clue at first, so much for the intial cpc :unamused:

Try planning your day so you know you have some where decent to stop for break, nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of nowhere, without any food, drink or mags etc. Remember not to work more than 6 hours without a break, say if you havn’t done 4.5hours driving by then.

Can’t say the initial cpc was worth it, but at least i know how to tie a dolly knot, and where to search for drugs on an ambulance as thats what i did module 4 in!

charliebear:

Saaamon:

charliebear:

Can’t say the initial cpc was worth it, but at least i know how to tie a dolly knot, and where to search for drugs on an ambulance as thats what i did module 4 in!

Lol that must of been well funny driving an ambulance, i spose they use it for c1 test.

Ambulance most unsteady vehicle i have driver & it is a glorified sprinter can be driven on a car licence

Just to add if it’s an older style tacho with the disc behind the speedo rather than the CD player type the modes are selected by turning the little knob with the 1 by it. Otherwise it will always record break, POA or other work when not driving.

animal:
Ambulance most unsteady vehicle i have driver & it is a glorified sprinter can be driven on a car licence

On an old car license, there 4.25/4.5t.

Saaamon:

animal:

On an old car license, there 4.25/4.5t.

the company i trained with used it for C1 and CPC module 4 training, as well as ambulance and minibus training. didnt have the blue light fitted although the siren still worked :smiley:

animal:

You sure? Steady as a rock! :laughing:

fv104 Samaritan.jpg

nickb67:

animal:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wish I had of driven 1 like that

Not as fun as one of these!

nickb67:

animal:

Arent they the ones they use in nottingham? Think the bullets use to go straight through the fibreglass bodys on the normal ambulances.

First day was today, didn’t do any driving today but instead did some portering. May get a chance to drive tomorrow.
Question: as I didn’t drive today, do I still need to fill in a tacho? Agency don’t seem bothered, but is rather hear it from someone who knows!