Faulty tacho cards

Hi all,

bloke here is having trouble downloading his tacho card, boss thinks its faulty but doesnt want the hastle of replacing it in case its not and he gets charged. Anyone else got any experience of dodgy cards? Not sure if it is something that regularly happens? :confused:

im on my fourth.
the strip on the back is very sensitive. they dont like being taken out of wallets all the time. best bet is to get a protective plastic case for the card.
if the down load machine cant read it then i send it off sharpish. because its a faullty card it will be posted back to the home address. you wont have to go and collect it.

Thanks for that Dave. Anyone else or has Dave just had some very bad luck!

I am on my third card now, had this one for awhile though about 8 months. Saying that don’t use it a lot.

First card i got lasted about a month, was using it daily, then suddenly the tachograph would say invalid card. I though it was maybe the tachograph unit so tried it in a few other trucks, called up DVLA and sent it back, got sent a new one.

Second one lasted about the same maybe a month again of heavy use then the tachograph unit would say driving without a card. My agency boss called up the DVLA for me the woman at the DVLA said they were swamped with cards not working last summer was a huge problem.

Maybe they have finally sorted it been trouble free with the third card so far but then again rarely use it once in a blue moon.

If the card is faulty, by the sound of this post it probably is, you have seven calendar days to report matted to DVLA (in other words fill-in form and send together with card to Swansea). An offence is committed if the ‘report’ is not made within the 7 days.
You can drive upto 15 calendar days, provided you do the following;
at the start of shift take a 24 hour VU printout and write on it;

• your full name
  • your driving licence number or driver card number
  • sign the printout

at the end of your shift take another 24 hr VU printout and write on it;

• your full name
  • your driving licence number or driver card number
  • sign the printout

keep both copies with you as if they were tacho charts. At the end of the ‘production period’ (currently; the current week and previous 15 calendar days) hand printouts to employer. They have to keep them for 12 months from the date the record was made.

Faulty cards are replaced free of charge, but DVLA must get the old card back to free issue the new one. Suggest you use Recorded Delivery.