Eyesight - Medical

As a rough guide how good does your uncorrected eyesight have to be? I’m considering my career options, but obviously I don’t want to pay for a medical if I’m going to fall at the first hurdle.

I’m short sighted, and wear specs which obviously bring my vision as close to perfect as they can. but looking at the medical form it has a spec for uncorrected vision (god knows why), now even though I have my sight tested regularly, I don’t have clue what the numbers mean and can’t decifier the little card you get after your eye test…

I suspect my uncorrected vision is poor, I certainly wouldn’t contemplate driving without my glasses, well to be fair I wouldn’t go walking the streets without my glasses. I certainly couldn’t pass the old “read that number plate” test without them.

Your Doctor or optician should know and be able to put you straight / mind at rest.

Can you speak with your opticians as i think they would be able to tell you or give you an idea.

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Owain :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

There was another post about eyesight - HERE IT IS
I made the link really big so you could see it :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

To book any LGV training I suggest the trainee-to-be, visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Using the site Search facility at the top of this page and putting the words TRAINING AND WHERE you wish to train may turn up some recommendations. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING

A number of LGV instructors, myself included, are finding that the general driving standard of many trainees coming to do their LGV ‘C’ course is not at a very high standard.
I have had a number who ‘THINK’ they are good but find myself having to go ‘BACK TO BASICS’ before they can really start learning how to handle a truck.
For the trainee this means wasted time on the course and that means that the trainee is paying good money to be taught how to drive again :exclamation:

There are a number of things that a driver can do before starting their first LGV training course to improve their general driving.

The obvious ones are to practise the DSA procedures, which could mean losing the rear view mirror, and then, every time to set off, doing the mirror, mirror, blind spot routine. Checking BOTH side mirrors before moving within the lane you are in, signalling or before the increasing & decreasing of your speed.

The less obvious is to practise forward planning — the THINKING bit.

A good way of doing this is to use your brakes a lot less than what you do at present — sounds daft but think about it — to use the brakes less then you will have to ease off earlier — to ease off earlier you will have to plan ahead more.
I don’t mean by changing down through the gearbox either as that will waste fuel.
A good example would be when approaching a queue of standing traffic, which is waiting for traffic lights to change or waiting to enter a roundabout.
The moment you see the queue, check mirrors and ease off in the gear you are in. let the vehicle slow down on it’s own, dipping the clutch as necessary to control any possible stalling. If the vehicle gets to the lowest gear speed (usually first gear) then engage that gear.
If, whilst easing off, you anticipate that the traffic is going to proceed, then engage the gear that will take you with them without rushing up to the rear of the queue.
You will be leaving a large area of tarmac in front of your vehicle when you ease off early. If another vehicle goes into the gap then re-adjust to accommodate it. If you curse at the vehicle that went into your forward space then decide if a few feet of tarmac is worth getting stressed over!!

When following other traffic, do you touch your brakes when they touch theirs? — If yes, then you are too close. Back off so that you can ease off without the use of brakes. Again, this requires a good deal of forward planning, which will be very useful when you drive a truck.

The general idea is to never stop but to keep moving forward even if at a very slow pace.

If you have to use the brakes then plan to use them gradually. Start by taking up the play of the pedal then resting the weight of your foot & leg on the pedal. That is then followed by squeezing down onto the pedal and squeeze down to a depth that will do the job during the middle of your braking so that you can ease off the pedal well before you actually need to come to a stop.

I had a 5yr medical and failed at the first hurdle on the eyesight test. Within 2 days I have a letter from the DVLA saying I can drive but my licence is invalid until I get my vision corrected.

I had read part way on the Snellen test in the doctors and struggled on the bottom 2 lines. Anyway I booked an appointment at D&A and was tested there, apparently my eyesight was poor but not poor enough to be refused a licence. However I now have 01 restriction on my HGV classes which means I do need glasses to drive heavy vehicles.

The optician said that DVLA were wrong to refuse my licence and he wrote to them for me, as all the results from his tests were ok, In hindsight, the doctors surgery was quite dark where the chart was fixed to the door.

Wheel Nut:
I had a 5yr medical and failed at the first hurdle on the eyesight test. Within 2 days I have a letter from the DVLA saying I can drive but my licence is invalid until I get my vision corrected.

I had read part way on the Snellen test in the doctors and struggled on the bottom 2 lines. Anyway I booked an appointment at D&A and was tested there, apparently my eyesight was poor but not poor enough to be refused a licence. However I now have 01 restriction on my HGV classes which means I do need glasses to drive heavy vehicles.

The optician said that DVLA were wrong to refuse my licence and he wrote to them for me, as all the results from his tests were ok, In hindsight, the doctors surgery was quite dark where the chart was fixed to the door.

I’m about to hit the same problem - the doc on wheels who tested my eyesight was not pleased with my vision but I am under the eye dept at my local hospital and, just to make sure, I am going to D&A for another check with results given to me next week which I shall forward to DVLA medical (scan & e-mail) - this is for my medical at 50 - I’m OLD :cry: :cry:

The problem it seems is that although the GP’s are jack of all trades and master of none, it is they who sign the forms.

So I would suggest anyone who is a bit unsure about their eyesight or blood pressure etc, to get it checked out & corrected before going to the surgery.

I had an understanding doc who let me walk over to the chart and read it from about 2 feet away when i took my glasses off and everthing went blurry . Id never drive without my goggles and am sure the docs know this so dont worry about it

So the consensus, from what I’ve read is, if I can read the top line uncorrected I’m ok? I’m fairly certain I can read the second and have a stab at the 3rd uncorrected. Usually the question is take your glasses off and read the smallest line you can, and I’ve definatly gone beyond the big A at the top.

Right given myself a migriane by squinting at everything in the office, so I wandered out into the yard and I reckon I can read (blurry) an unfamliar number plate from about 3m away uncorrected.

I’ve been reading here about a week so I’m well up on Rogs tips, I’ve been driving round with the rear view mirror flipped up in anti glare glare postion, so that for a brief glance it’s useless, and now I have the neck muscles of an owl (never realised how much I did actually use the mirror).

Oh just found this useful link

driversmedicals.com/structur … 20test.pdf

Just need some place quiet where no one can see me squinting at a piece of paper.

There is also the field of vision or an extra blind spot that should not be there is another way of putting it, This is what I get tested for every year as I have glaucoma in my right eye.
It is tested by a ‘visual field’ machine - stare at a red dot and click when you see white ones - 1 click for each white dot seen.
The DVLA have a special specific test for this but it usually means a trip to your local hospital eye dept - like I do - it is done with both eyes open for the DVLA test so I have no probs - left eye compensates for the right.

It does mean that I have an 01 code against my LGV entitlements but, get this, I only need to wear glasses if I cannot see the right mirror with my left eye :exclamation: :exclamation: so it all depends on the set up of the mirrors as to whether I wear them or not - weird or what :unamused:

I get the fov test as part of my regular eyetests (assuming it’s the flashing white lights on the dartboard thingy), and I have passed that. Now squinting across the room at the piece of A4, and hmm not sure I’d get it if I didn’t know it was an A.

[quote=“Owain” (assuming it’s the flashing white lights on the dartboard thingy),.[/quote]

That’s one way of putting it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This is something i have been thinking about as well.

I phoned my optician today and I am going to go in and see what she says.
I wear contact lenses but i can read all of the lines if i have my contacts in, and seam to remember getting to line 4/5 without them.

From what you have said i should be ok yeah?

razza:
This is something i have been thinking about as well.

I phoned my optician today and I am going to go in and see what she says.
I wear contact lenses but i can read all of the lines if i have my contacts in, and seam to remember getting to line 4/5 without them.

From what you have said i should be ok yeah?

I doubt you will encounter any probs but get a written diagnosis from your optician - just in case

when he asks you to read the bottom line just say made in china eye sight fine .

Hello, sorry for asking a possible silly question, but on the day of your test (Class C) will the examiner ask you to read a car number plate like they did in my car test?
Or, because ive already done an initial medical to apply for my provisional licence, are they satisfied on that alone and they don’t test your eyesight on the day of your test?

any help appreciated, sorry again :blush:

CurtNI:
Hello, sorry for asking a possible silly question, but on the day of your test (Class C) will the examiner ask you to read a car number plate like they did in my car test?
Or, because ive already done an initial medical to apply for my provisional licence, are they satisfied on that alone and they don’t test your eyesight on the day of your test?

any help appreciated, sorry again :blush:

No, you won’t be asked to read a plate.

Welcome BTW :slight_smile:

Cheers :slight_smile:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome CurtNI :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:** [__GENERAL DRIVING TIPS [u]*BEFORE*[/u] STARTING LGV C TRAINING__](http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31611&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=)

:bulb: :bulb: If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot more info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

To book any LGV training I suggest the trainee-to-be, visits the training school, meets the head person(s) and has a quick look at the truck BEFORE parting with any money.

Using the site Search facility and putting the words TRAINING AND WHERE you wish to train may turn up some recommendations. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg) ![](http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/ROGIAM/TRUCK%20PICS/TNETLOGOTRUCK.jpg)