New guy here - vision medical and course (Class 2)

Hello to all members of this forum.

Quick things about me: 28, worked in the security industry, so used to long hours. I live in Northampton and I have the possibility of getting a Class 2 job but I’ve got no licence.

Now, I have two questions:

1: My left eye is dodgy, I was born like this, I see with it but not good at all, it’s like a blur on it. I see everything around me, my peripheral is decent but on the chart I can see maximum the first 2 lines. I see all of them obviously but I can only see the actual letters from the first 2 lines. What are my chances now? I’ve been to specsavers months and months ago and have a prescription. Do I have to go elsewhere to see if I am able to legally drive a truck or go back to them and ask them if they know? Don’t want to pay for medicals and what not and find out that I can’t drive.

2: LGV Training’s price seems a bit steep maybe? Can you please point me in the right direction where I could get everything done without paying too much?

I appreciate all your help and hope you all have a good weekend.

Cheers!

only option really is to go see an optician or your doctor might be able to advise you.

if they say no then all is not lost as you might be able to qualify for 7.5t licence. eyesight seems to be lower but im not sure if that’s for people who want to renew it or if it includes those who want to apply for c1 entitlement.

the following might be useful:

Lorry and bus drivers
You must have a visual acuity at least 0.8 (6/7.5) measured on the Snellen scale in your best eye and at least 0.1 (6/60) on the Snellen scale in the other eye.
You can reach this standard using glasses with a corrective power not more than (+) 8 dioptres, or with contact lenses. There’s no specific limit for the corrective power of contact lenses.
You must have a horizontal visual field of at least 160 degrees, the extension should be at least 70 degrees left and right and 30 degrees up and down. No defects should be present within a radius of the central 30 degrees.

I have a very similar problem with my left eye. It has very blurry vision and has been like that all my life. I had an eye test two weeks ago at specsavers and got some new distance and reading glasses, then had my HGV medical on Monday this week. I can read the eye chart great with my right eye, but I need the new glasses to read down to the bottom line with my left eye. I too can hardly read the top two lines with my left eye without glasses. I passed the medical, but I need the glasses for HGV driving. It might be best to get another eye test done and ask the optician if you meet the required standard. You may be okay with glasses.

Right eye my problem but no probs with glasses for LGV medical