Sorry another eye test question again!

Hi again, sorry to ask but I keep finding old posts and just wanted to check. I have my medical soon and I do wear glasses or contacts. Do they still test your uncorrected vision? if so is there a strong chance I could fail this if they have made the qualifying level really high?

thanks and sorry if I have not found an up to date post lol :smiley:

I had my medical a fortnight ago and wear glasses.
They do test your uncorrected vision and then your corrected vision afterwards. Mine felt to me to be pretty bad in corrected but didnā€™t cause me an issue. I believe the DVLA guidelines are in the medical pack for corrected / uncorrected but I canā€™t find my pack now

Thanks mate. I donā€™t think my uncorrected vision is terrible so fingers crossed I will be fine. Just had a look on the dvla site as well but good to hear you passed and wear glasses. I was just worried with the rules and regulations going up on everything regarding driving at the minute.

Without my glasses everything is blurred and I canā€™t read number plates for sure. I need my glasses to drive and have a 101 o my licence which is what you will get. The 101 is code for ā€œThis driver needs his glasses to driveā€ so that if you have an accident they will see it on your licence and ask if you were wearing them. Donā€™t worry about your eyesight it is only an issue if you are actually going blind.

You need at least 6/7.5 in the better eye and a visual acuity of at least 6/60 in the other eye. From what I understand with the 6/60 you would need to be nearly blind in that eye (if not blind :astonished:) to fail it. It is the better eye where you might have some problems as the level for driving a car is not as strict.

alder:
Without my glasses everything is blurred and I canā€™t read number plates for sure. I need my glasses to drive and have a 101 o my licence which is what you will get. The 101 is code for ā€œThis driver needs his glasses to driveā€ so that if you have an accident they will see it on your licence and ask if you were wearing them. Donā€™t worry about your eyesight it is only an issue if you are actually going blind.

sound similar to myself. I can drive without glasses with no real issues. Signs and number plates I cant read so if I am somewhere unfamiliar I need to wear them, however I always do wear them now but its good to know others have passed OK with similar vision so thanks for replying! :smiley:

JS8576:
You need at least 6/7.5 in the better eye and a visual acuity of at least 6/60 in the other eye. From what I understand with the 6/60 you would need to be nearly blind in that eye (if not blind :astonished:) to fail it. It is the better eye where you might have some problems as the level for driving a car is not as strict.

im hoping my good eye will get me through haha. Cant wait till its done now and get it out of the way!

I have just done mine. 6/60 means you only need to read the top letter in your bad eye. Thatā€™s with glasses by the way. As long as your good eye isnā€™t to bad you will be fine. Itā€™s not as bad as people go on about. I just went to tesco for a free eye test and they filled it out. (No coast) Also you can have the eye test done 3 months before your medical too. Just print the form off the internet. I rang DVLA and they told me to do this. Hope that helps

Thanks for this! Sounds like I should be fine. I had an eye test about 6 months ago and I could read the top and If I remember the second line without any glasses so I might not be too bad with a bit of luck!

alder:

101 - not for hire or reward
01 - eyesight correction
gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

It looks like there is no longer any minimum standard for uncorrected vision. Most people should be able to reach 6/6 in many cases 6/5 with correction.

JS8576:
It looks like there is no longer any minimum standard for uncorrected vision. Most people should be able to reach 6/6 in many cases 6/5 with correction.

hi sorry only just seen this response, I have been hammering out the theory training lol. Good to hear though! My test is this Friday at Lymm so I will report back soon :smiley:

Had my eye tested not long ago ( new glasses bought ) would pass to drive np he even showed me on the chart which line I needed to pass it also told me off at same time as not been in for nearly 2 years can have a fee eye test every year as mam has glaucoma

Well I passed yay Iā€™m not blind! Actually said my eye sight wasnā€™t that bad uncorrected 6/6 6/8 and corrected 6/5 6/5. They said I had good blood pressure too 117/69 so alls well. Thanks for all the help [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

biker10:
Well I passed yay Iā€™m not blind! Actually said my eye sight wasnā€™t that bad uncorrected 6/6 6/8 and corrected 6/5 6/5. They said I had good blood pressure too 117/69 so alls well. Thanks for all the help [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].

My bp 100/60 sometimes 80/40 as it was couple weeks back

OK, Iā€™m going to go into my own scenario here in the hope someone can answer once and for all. I was born with a cataract on my left eye, it was removed. After a couple of operations the eye is now at its best, which means itā€™s ā€˜lazyā€™. I can just read the top line of a chart with or without glasses with my bad eye. An optician told me I would fail an hgv medical, but Iā€™ve never had one (donā€™t want to pay if I know Iā€™m going to fail). But if I could get over this small hurdle, I could go on to become a class 2 driver. I can read a whole chart with my good eye. By the way, I drive 7.5tonners on my car licence.
So, does anyone think I could pass the eye test for hgv purposes? If the answer is yes, I might be on my way to driving with the big boys.

Iā€™m surprised you are wearing glasses with uncorrected vision like that. You only just need them LGV purposes by a tiny margin.

OK, Iā€™m going to go into my own scenario here in the hope someone can answer once and for all. I was born with a cataract on my left eye, it was removed. After a couple of operations the eye is now at its best, which means itā€™s ā€˜lazyā€™. I can just read the top line of a chart with or without glasses with my bad eye. An optician told me I would fail an hgv medical, but Iā€™ve never had one (donā€™t want to pay if I know Iā€™m going to fail). But if I could get over this small hurdle, I could go on to become a class 2 driver. I can read a whole chart with my good eye. By the way, I drive 7.5tonners on my car licence.
So, does anyone think I could pass the eye test for hgv purposes? If the answer is yes, I might be on my way to driving with the big boys.

My first thought is the optician should know what they are talking about. But might be an idea to get a second opinion. If you can read the top line with or without correction and assuming that is 6/60 then as long as good eye with or without correction is at least 6/7.5 which going by what you say should be the case, I cannot see a problem. The eyesight requirements for 7.5T should be the same. Try another optician.

martin2410:

I would ask another optician but donā€™t tell them what the 1st said print off medical form take it with you ask them if they can fill it in for you they should not charge for this btw

Wow, I didnā€™t think it was such a small amount. I think I might look into it. Thanks for your input guys.

Came across the following which might help:

Drivers who have sight in one eye only or their sight in one eye has deteriorated to a corrected acuity of less than 3/60 (decimal Snellen equivalent 0.05) cannot normally be licensed to drive Group 2 vehicles.

On that basis you would still seem to be okay.